Upgrade my terrarium..

kara2323

Hi! My name’s Kara and I have a baby veiled chameleon named Kiwi. I got him 2-3 weeks ago and love him. To start out, they recommended I just get a 10 gallon tank for him which I did. I’m pretty sure he’s a boy so I know he’ll get very big. I’m planning to get his final size terrarium around Christmas (30-55 gallon tank hopefully). His enclosure is currently on top of my dresser and I’m hoping to keep it that way, as I’m looking for a vertical enclosure for him to climb. Any specific recommendations for large vertical enclosures??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 114
  • F6BBACB0-CD16-4DB5-8954-40234224273C.jpeg
    F6BBACB0-CD16-4DB5-8954-40234224273C.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 103
So not to be harsh, I know it's not your fault...

but you shouldn't be searching aquariums for a chameleon. It sounds like wherever you bought the chameleon doesn't have a clue what they're talking about and i would scratch pretty much any advice they gave you. Start reading up on here from experienced and proven chameleon keepers and breeders. None of us will lead you wrong ;)

Get rid of the substrate, and get a 2x2x4ft minimum enclosure. It looks like you only have one light, but you need a t5 ho linear uvb bulb and fixture, along with a heat bulb.

Please fill this forum out so we help you get everything right.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

So not to be harsh, I know it's not your fault...

but you shouldn't be searching aquariums for a chameleon. It sounds like wherever you bought the chameleon doesn't have a clue what they're talking about and i would scratch pretty much any advice they gave you. Start reading up on here from experienced and proven chameleon keepers and breeders. None of us will lead you wrong ;)
I’m not searching for aquariums to get him. However a 10 gallon aquarium is what I have now and will do until he’s bigger. I know glass enclosures aren’t recommended due to airflow especially aquariums. I didn’t know this when I got it obviously or I wouldn’t have. However, he seems happy and should be okay for awhile. When I get a bigger enclosure, it for sure will not be glass. I’m thinking of getting the reptibreeze xl enclosure that someone suggested. Thank you!

Get rid of the substrate, and get a 2x2x4ft minimum enclosure. It looks like you only have one light, but you need a t5 ho linear uvb bulb and fixture, along with a heat bulb.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Unfortunately, that size enclosure is impossible for me to get as it is many people. Thank you for you information.

https://zoomed.com/reptibreeze/

24x24x48

That is the standard size for an adult male. So 120 gallon LOL

Or if you have a lot a bit more money, you can patron our sponsor

https://dragonstrand.com/

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
I also do have a heat bulb and am already looking into the linear uvb bulb. Unfortunately, the pet store did steer me a bit wrong...

@kara2323 you do not seem open to feedback. But I am going to try anyways.... hopefully you will understand that us trying is us helping you provide what your chameleon needs to not only survive but thrive.

As already stated a glass aquarium is for fish not a chameleon... There is a very specific reason for that. They are hot boxes without air flow. Literally no air flow. So you mist the enclosure and then it becomes a hot wet box without air flow and a bacteria breeding ground. This then leads to them developing a respiratory infection. The Pet store was very wrong to have you buy this. This is how babies die.

You say it is impossible for you to get a 2x2x4 cage... Then the chameleon will suffer and you should rethink keeping him.

As mention UVB lighting is extremely important. 2-3 weeks without proper UVB lighting is allowing MBD to start in his little body. This advances fast to the point of permanent disfigurement of the limbs and even the casque and jaw.

The substrate in the bottom is an impaction risk.

I really would fill out the form so we can help you identify the other incorrect advice you were given. If your not open to help then I urge you to start reading this husbandry program so you can learn about the correct way to keep your chameleon... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Yes, the cham is suffering cuz he doesn't practically have any height....don't bother getting any smaller than 2X2X4 he will outgrow everything else relatively fast. I made this mistake and it cost me my precious riches ? best of luck ?

To everyone being rude, I didn’t know people still cyber bullied but thanks. Obviously I care about my chameleon. I’ve been receiving all sorts of wrong information from the pet store and I don’t think that’s my fault... I’ve been researching but obviously I’m still trying to figure it out. I am open to advice I just thought I kind of knew what was going on but I guess I don’t. I thought joining this forum would be helpful and fun but its mostly been rude criticism. I’ll fix it all on my own. I might also quit this forum because it’s obviously not very welcoming to newcomers. I was excited to join but oh well.

@kara2323 you do not seem open to feedback. But I am going to try anyways.... hopefully you will understand that us trying is us helping you provide what your chameleon needs to not only survive but thrive.

As already stated a glass aquarium is for fish not a chameleon... There is a very specific reason for that. They are hot boxes without air flow. Literally no air flow. So you mist the enclosure and then it becomes a hot wet box without air flow and a bacteria breeding ground. This then leads to them developing a respiratory infection. The Pet store was very wrong to have you buy this. This is how babies die.

You say it is impossible for you to get a 2x2x4 cage... Then the chameleon will suffer and you should rethink keeping him.

As mention UVB lighting is extremely important. 2-3 weeks without proper UVB lighting is allowing MBD to start in his little body. This advances fast to the point of permanent disfigurement of the limbs and even the casque and jaw.

The substrate in the bottom is an impaction risk.

I really would fill out the form so we can help you identify the other incorrect advice you were given. If your not open to help then I urge you to start reading this husbandry program so you can learn about the correct way to keep your chameleon... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Thank you so much for your comment. I didn’t mean to seem not open to criticism. I’ve just been upset how much I’ve been lied to from the pet store and how much money they’ve made me spend on the wrong things. Thank you for your advice and not being mean. I really do care about him and want to keep him.

To everyone being rude, I didn’t know people still cyber bullied but thanks. Obviously I care about my chameleon. I’ve been receiving all sorts of wrong information from the pet store and I don’t think that’s my fault... I’ve been researching but obviously I’m still trying to figure it out. I am open to advice I just thought I kind of knew what was going on but I guess I don’t. I thought joining this forum would be helpful and fun but its mostly been rude criticism. I’ll fix it all on my own. I might also quit this forum because it’s obviously not very welcoming to newcomers. I was excited to join but oh well.
The hard thing here is your not getting rudeness.. Your getting honesty from people that keep chameleons successfully. I think if you took your emotion out of it and just listened to the feedback you would find the answers your looking for.

95% of us here even those that have been in the hobby for a few years started out with all the wrong information and all the wrong stuff... Pet stores do not know what they are talking about most of the time. They sell an aquarium for a bearded dragon and go ahead and do it for a chameleon. But they are two totally different animals in their needs. Beardies being ground dwelling and chameleons being arboreal. Pet stores take the one size fits all approach which in turn kills animals.

What you will find here are people that know what they are talking about. So I encourage you to stay. I encourage you to listen and not be easily offended. Some of us have a light touch and some of us say it like it is. But all of us want new keepers to be successful and all of us want your chameleon to live a long healthy life.

My 2 cents ;)

Back
Top Bottom