unknown substance maybe poop. help

efrainz28

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon -Ambilobe, Male, and 8 to 9 months. I purchased him on 1/9/10 from Ryan from tiki tiki @ the Pomona Reptile Super Show
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Large superworms What amount? 2 What is the schedule? Everyday How are you gut-loading your feeders? none
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? All Rep-cal/ calcium with d3 once a week, calcium three times a week, herptivite twice a week
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Mist king How often and how long to you mist? Every hour and half 8 times a day for 20 sec Do you see your chameleon drinking? During the week no but on weekend yes off the leaves.
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Picture is attached Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. no

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – screen What are the dimensions? 16x16x30
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? zoo med, reptisun 5.0,18” fluorescent with a 60 watt for basking What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am to 7 pm
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 75 cage,basking 84 Lowest overnight temp?70 How do you measure these temps? probe
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 60-70 How are you creating and maintaining these levels?mistking What do you use to measure humidity?digital meter
• Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes If so, what kind? Dwarf schefflera
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Corner Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 2ft 6in
• Location - Where are you geographically located? socal

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I was feeding my cham today and I noticed this white thing on a leaf. I thought was a piece of his tongue. It feels like flesh and sticky. I freak out so I handled him(i never do) to see if his tongue was damaged but I notice a white thing sticking out his butt.
Change:
I stopped feeding him cricket because I wasn’t able to find the right size for him. The pet store said there a virus or something killing them at 3 weeks. I feed him superworms now. I tried feeding cricket again but he doesn’t try to eat them. I been feeding superworms for about a month. i saw him eat a superworm after i had discovered the unknown thing. I have reptaid but I haven't used it. i dont know how much he weights.

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

That looks like a sperm plug to me. If that is what it is, its perfectly normal. I have seen it suggested that you can put the cham in a shallow bath (like an inch or so) with luke warm water for a few minutes and pull it free with tweezers. It should not hurt him at all. I find them in my male ambilobe's cage occasionally but never still attached.

First picture is poop and urine. The orange-yellow stuff in the higher part is the urine. However, an orange color means your chameleon has potentially some sickness. It is very important to find what is not working.

The third picture and last picture are semen. This is completely normal and there is nothing to worry about. However, if your chameleon can not get rid of it, i suggest pulling it VERY slowly and gently.

The stuff on the leaf in pic 2, is his poop and urate. By the looks of it, he could use more water. The urate should be white. When it starts turning orange, it indicates dehydration.

Pic 3 & 4 are his little deposits. He is growing up. :):rolleyes: Nothing there to be concerned about. That's the same thing you see from his vent area.

You say you are not gutloading your feeders. Gutloading is very important. Think of it this way: What you feed your feeders, is what you are feeding your cham. Use fresh fruits and veggies, such as, carrots, kale, collards, turnips, apples. Not spinach or broccoli. They prevent calcium absorbtion.

At the age your cham is I would reccomend moving him to a larger enclosure. A 2x2x4 ft. is best.

As gross as it is just gently pull it out. My guy did not even seem to notice. Thank God for disposable gloves!!

Wow 3 of us answered at the same time and said the same thing. That means our chams have us trained.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon -Ambilobe, Male, and 8 to 9 months. I purchased him on 1/9/10 from Ryan from tiki tiki @ the Pomona Reptile Super Show
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Large superworms What amount? 2 What is the schedule? Everyday How are you gut-loading your feeders? none
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? All Rep-cal/ calcium with d3 once a week, calcium three times a week, herptivite twice a week
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Mist king How often and how long to you mist? Every hour and half 8 times a day for 20 sec Do you see your chameleon drinking? During the week no but on weekend yes off the leaves.
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Picture is attached Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. no

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – screen What are the dimensions? 16x16x30
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? zoo med, reptisun 5.0,18” fluorescent with a 60 watt for basking What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am to 7 pm
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 75 cage,basking 84 Lowest overnight temp?70 How do you measure these temps? probe
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 60-70 How are you creating and maintaining these levels?mistking What do you use to measure humidity?digital meter
• Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes If so, what kind? Dwarf schefflera
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Corner Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 2ft 6in
• Location - Where are you geographically located? socal

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I was feeding my cham today and I noticed this white thing on a leaf. I thought was a piece of his tongue. It feels like flesh and sticky. I freak out so I handled him(i never do) to see if his tongue was damaged but I notice a white thing sticking out his butt.
Change:
I stopped feeding him cricket because I wasn’t able to find the right size for him. The pet store said there a virus or something killing them at 3 weeks. I feed him superworms now. I tried feeding cricket again but he doesn’t try to eat them. I been feeding superworms for about a month. i saw him eat a superworm after i had discovered the unknown thing. I have reptaid but I haven't used it. i dont know how much he weights.

Ok, here is what i found that should be fixed:
1) only feeding superworms can cause impaction, which could be causing your orange urine. Try adding 2 or 3 other insects in his diet and he should be fine
2) Your misting system is awesome, however it should be less often but for longer period. The reason for this is because only 20 seconds doesn't provoke his drinking behavior. I don't know how long most people do it, but it should be easily 5 to 10 minutes. You should also had a dripper. Drippers are the less expensive item in chameleon husbandry and they are so useful. ---Once again, what is listed under #2 is highly related to the orange urine problem.
3) The calcium with D3 once a week may be too often. Most people do it 2 times a month and maybe 3 times.
4) If you only have one live plant, i suggest getting more. A good plant with large leaves would help your chameleon to drink from it. I personally use a philodendron scandens, but it's up to you! ;)
5) Your cage location is too low. If you could higher it and put it on a table or something else, it would be great. The height of your cage should be at least at your chest or neck.

This is pretty much it. With these changes i suppose he should be perfect! :)

The comments Laurie and Heather made are also very good, so i expect you to follow what they say! ;)

I think the stuff on the leaf is poop + urates that just sort of got hung up on the plant...usually they end up lumped together, but in this case, they are sort of chained together.

Thanks

I’m currently working on his adult cage. I’m trying to connect two 2x2x4 cages together. I had a dripper but he never used it. I tried feeding him medium goliath worms but he did even try. I put a super worm and in seconds it was in his mouth. Thanks to every one for giving a good night sleep. I don’t have to worry. He will be higher up and in a bigger cage hopefully be Sunday with a dripper.

Don't forget to change the misting periods! If you could find some dubias and silkworms, it would be awesome! And you can always try to feed him a goliath from time to time. Chameleons oftenly change their eating habits. :)

I also wouldn't give up on making him drink off the dripper, especially when you aren't home. This way you higher your chances that he drinks more! ;)

I will change the misting time. I have dubias that I been breeding for 5 months now and rusty reds. I will buy silk worm. I tried goliath but he doesn't seem interested in them. I'll try again tomorrow i have a cup of them.

Try to have real plant leaves for the dripper to drip on...some chameleons will embrace drinking right off the dripper, but some want to drink water that has dripped onto a leaf. And, some are very particular about real vs. fake...as you are starting new, why not go for the most accepted: real.

I had the dripper over real leafs. The leaf would be wet but he wouldn’t drink. I had a manual mister that I did 3 times a day and he would drink off the recently misted leafs.

Thank you.. I tend to think hydration is vital because it seems so hard to achieve. Maybe he doesn't like the current misting system? They're a bit weird about stuff.

Update

I found allot of blood today on a leaf. It was dry and close to his favorite spot. Yesterday, I saw him try to eat and his tongue did not reach the superworm. I seen him caught food at that distance with his tongue but it did reach for what every reason. I tried goliath worm but I was unsuccessful. I did add the dripper and I order silk worms. I tried feeding him cricket and goliath worm but didn’t even try. He ate one superworm yesterday. How do I entice him to eat other types of insects? I have Dubia, what size do I feed him? Should I use reptaid? Help boost my Chameleon immune system?

Definately start reptaid, until you take him to the vet. i would make some of those changes suggested in the thread. use reptaid and if the blood persist another day or two, a vet visit should be used. Also i would suggest a couple of waxworms to supplement his diet for the next few days as the are easy for them to pass and digest. Just my opinion Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom