Unexperienced owner dealing with MBD

Aleah

Hello, I need as much advice as possible. My precious little chameleon is worrying me sick and I don't know how to help.
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, I don't know if it's a male or female, as for age, a little over a year old. I've had it for barely a few months, I got him from a friend who didn't want him anymore.
  • Handling - I rarely handle it until recently when I had to move it.
  • Feeding - Crickets, superworms, and grasshoppers. Usually crickets, about 10 or so every other day. I gutload with oranges, zucchini, and cauliflower
  • Supplements - I hadn't bought any vitamin products yet, but I'm dusting the food every other feeding with zoomed repticalcium
  • Watering - I manually mist once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once at night. Ive never seen him drink but I've been so busy that I haven't noticed.
  • Fecal Description - I haven't seen any recently, it's never been tested for parasites
Cage Inf
  • Cage Type - Screen
  • Lighting - I use zoomed lighting with a 100 watt heat bulb
  • Temperature - Temo range is around 70 to 40, lowest overnight temp was probably 30.
  • Humidity - I dont know specific humidity levels because I dont have anything to measure it, but I keep a humidifier on every now and then.
  • Plants - I use fake plants, but I put some branches in the cage from outside (I kept them in the freezer for a week to kill any bacteria)
  • Placement - Cage is near a medium traffic area on the floor, I dont have anything to set the cage on
  • Location - Arkansas
Current Problem-
Diagnosed with MBD today, the tongue is sticking outand it's just laying on it's side and not reacting to anything. I checked and it is indeed alive. The vet told me to raise temp and humidity levels and to feed it but it won't take any food from me. I'm at a loss of what to do but I really don't want to lose this little guy.

--------------

Hi and welcome. :) I’ll be happy to help as I can. It’ll take me a bit of time to go thru your husbandry. In the meantime, could you post some pics of your chameleon and it’s enclosure, including lights and floor?
Edit: Just read the problem. I can help you get husbandry correct, but it sounds like it may be too late, I’m afraid. :(

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. :) I’ll be happy to help as I can. It’ll take me a bit of time to go thru your husbandry. In the meantime, could you post some pics of your chameleon and it’s enclosure, including lights and floor?
Edit: Just read the problem. I can help you get husbandry correct, but it sounds like it may be too late, I’m afraid. :(
Oh. What should I do? Is there a way I can make him more comfortable?

The primary problem is you don’t mention any uvb lighting nor D3 or multivitamin supplements. Without some source of vitamin D3, whether thru supplements or sunlight/uvb, there’s no way for the calcium to be converted for it to be used. This of course results in broken bones and malformed skeleton, but also serious neurological problems and eventually is fatal.
Just from what I’ve seen here, it’s sounding as though your chameleon sadly is too far gone to be saved. I’m very sorry. 😞 😥 I think the best thing you can do is make him as comfortable as possible. Place him gently in a box or container on a soft towel. You can offer him a small stick and see if he’ll grab onto it. Give him some heat…if it’s still daytime where you are you can put a lamp above him…just be careful it doesn’t get too hot. If you can get 80-85f it would be good. If it’s night, give him darkness to sleep.

While it’s of no help now, if in the future you wish to keep a chameleon or any reptile, they need uvb and vitamin D3 in appropriate amounts. This is the most accurate and up to date source for chameleon care. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
I do want you to know that I understand that you believed you were doing everything right and what you were told to do. There’s just so very much bad information out there and it’s very unfortunate that your chameleon and you fell victim to it. :(

While it’s of no help now, if in the future you wish to keep a chameleon or any reptile, they need uvb and vitamin D3 in appropriate amounts. This is the most accurate and up to date source for chameleon care. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
I do want you to know that I understand that you believed you were doing everything right and what you were told to do. There’s just so very much bad information out there and it’s very unfortunate that your chameleon and you fell victim to it. :(
Oh no, I do have a uvb bulb, and the calcium supplement says it has d3 in it. However I didn't have vitamin supplements. Thanks so much for your advice, I'll try and do my best to keep him comfortable. I'm devastated I wasn't educated enough to keep the little guy healthy.

Oh no, I do have a uvb bulb, and the calcium supplement says it has d3 in it. However I didn't have vitamin supplements. Thanks so much for your advice, I'll try and do my best to keep him comfortable. I'm devastated I wasn't educated enough to keep the little guy healthy.
There are different kinds of UVB bulbs; not all are appropriate/suitable for chameleons.
If you have either of these, it's the wrong kind (regardless of what packaging may say); they do not have enough power to reach more than 3-4 inches.

FS-C5M_ReptiSun_5.0_Mini_Compact_Fluorescent-191x450.jpg
large_da16d036-46b5-432b-9133-7f45c6980079.jpg

Chameleons need a linear T5 HO UVB, either a Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. Both are good and will last one year.
Length should run the full width of the enclosure.

1636620760727.png

OR​

1636620979515.png

(NOT TO SCALE)​

You can buy one with a fixture included, or buy the bulb and fixture separately. The same T5 HO fixture will accommodate either brand bulb.

The most common fixture looks like this:
Sold under many different names, all are from the same factory in China.
All made by Shenzen Sunlight Lighting Co. (OEM) and all are virtually identical.

1618240919804.png

• Arcadia Pro T5
  • Biodude T5HO
  • Carolina Custom Cages T5HO
  • Hydrofarm "Jumpstart"
  • Sunblaster T5HO Nanotech
  • Vivarium T5
  • and Others
So shop for price.

You didn't mention the size of your enclosure, but it should be a minimum of 24" x 24" x 48"H

Hello, I need as much advice as possible. My precious little chameleon is worrying me sick and I don't know how to help.
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, I don't know if it's a male or female, as for age, a little over a year old. I've had it for barely a few months, I got him from a friend who didn't want him anymore.
  • Feeding - Crickets, superworms, and grasshoppers. Usually crickets, about 10 or so every other day. I gutload with oranges, zucchini, and cauliflower
  • Supplements - I hadn't bought any vitamin products yet, but I'm dusting the food every other feeding with zoomed repticalcium
  • Watering - I manually mist once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once at night. Ive never seen him drink but I've been so busy that I haven't noticed.
  • Fecal Description - I haven't seen any recently, it's never been tested for parasites
Cage Inf
  • Cage Type - Screen
  • Temperature - Temo range is around 70 to 40, lowest overnight temp was probably 30.
  • Humidity - I dont know specific humidity levels because I dont have anything to measure it, but I keep a humidifier on every now and then.
  • Plants - I use fake plants, but I put some branches in the cage from outside (I kept them in the freezer for a week to kill any bacteria)
  • Placement - Cage is near a medium traffic area on the floor, I dont have anything to set the cage on
  • Location - Arkansas
Current Problem- Diagnosed with MBD today, the tongue is sticking outand it's just laying on it's side and not reacting to anything. I checked and it is indeed alive. The vet told me to raise temp and humidity levels and to feed it but it won't take any food from me. I'm at a loss of what to do but I really don't want to lose this little guy. --------------
Cage Inf
  • Cage Type - Screen
  • Location - Arkansas
Current Problem- Diagnosed with MBD today, the tongue is sticking outand it's just laying on it's side and not reacting to anything. I checked and it is indeed alive. The vet told me to raise temp and humidity levels and to feed it but it won't take any food from me. I'm at a loss of what to do but I really don't want to lose this little guy. --------------

Sorry for my last post...I was having trouble responding to posts on here for a couple of days.
Is the chameleon still alive?

Back
Top Bottom