trying to escape and eating less

Rambo

hey my 3 yr old veiled chameleon has been spending a lot of time on the bottom of the cage trying to get out. hes clawing at the zipper quite a bit.

also hes been eating less then normal.

why is he so restless? could he be unhappy or what.

im not too concerned but just curious about the behavior.

thanks

Fill this out and post a few pictures so we get a better idea of what were dealing with.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

he is a little dehydrated at the moment too.. gaping mouth. but he is healthy otherwise and very active.
his poop is fine, white urate and brown poo.

sry but i dont need to fill out that whole thing.

hes just very restless i think, trying to get outta the cage.

and theres crickets in the cage, so i dont think hes hungry.

Probably looking for a mate. Chameleons don't particularly enjoy practicing chastity and abstinence :D

Let him wander around for a while, make sure the room is chameleon-proof. (nothing he can climb up that will fall, or stuff he will get burned by, etc, common sense type of stuff).

Might satisfy his curiosity.

If he is gaping, maybe it is too hot for him and he is looking to find somewhere cooler. Traveling downwards means cooler temperatures.

He may also be looking for some substrate to eat, which would mean you might need to supplement with some Miner-All.

Could also be traveling downwards to look for a stream for some water, if he is dehydrated. Is he getting sprayed enough?

Filling the info out would help, or even just a brief sum-up of his environment.

hey my 3 yr old veiled chameleon has been spending a lot of time on the bottom of the cage trying to get out.

I'd reiterate filling out the information form if you really want help.

I'd be more concerned with your chameleon spending a lot of time on the bottom of the cage. Unless it's a female, being on the bottom of the cage is not usually a healthy sign.

I would make sure you have the correct UVB lighting for the cage and that you have the correct temps etc. When I first purchased veiled chameleons I was unaware of the UVB light needed as the pet store gave me the wrong information. After a while my Male started wondering around the bottom of the cage and scratching at the screen all the time and a couple of weeks later he died from MBD because he had no UVB.

Can we see some pix of his enclosure, may b its too hot because the buld is too close?! pictures and info really help all the pro's figure out the problems easier, and once that happnes its all good for the chams and owners! :)

Back
Top Bottom