To heat or not to heat?

LulaJune

Hi all. I’ve searched and can’t find anything about this topic.
My superworms are cold to the touch. They are very active when I get them out to feed Lula.
I read that Dubia’s should be heated so they’ll eat?
Do the other worms and crickets need a heat source?
We keep our A/C set at 73°. I keep the worms and roaches above the fridge and the crickets in the dining room that we don’t use, only walk through. Just to say it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Hi all. I’ve searched and can’t find anything about this topic.
My superworms are cold to the touch. They are very active when I get them out to feed Lula.
I read that Dubia’s should be heated so they’ll eat?
Do the other worms and crickets need a heat source?
We keep our A/C set at 73°. I keep the worms and roaches above the fridge and the crickets in the dining room that we don’t use, only walk through. Just to say it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
Superworms should be stored at room temperature—do not refrigerate; they'll die. They'll eat—and keep—quite nicely for several months that way. Just don't isolate them—that causes them to pupate—unless you're trying to raise & breed them, in which case you want them to pupate. They're cheap enough that breeding isn't worthwhile for me at this time. I keep them with other supplies under the enclosure.

Other darkling larvae (e.g. mealworms, giant mealworms) keep better refrigerated to keep them from pupating too soon. Warming them to room temperature before feeding is optional; they'll warm up by themselves in just a few minutes.

I've never heard that about dubias; mine eat voraciously at room temperature. As GoodKarma19 notes, they require heat to reproduce. I keep the dubias under the enclosure as well.

I don't do crickets, but never heard of them needing heat. May depend on species, IDK.

Back
Top Bottom