Time to upgrade!

Mace

Hey guys!
So I got my cham 3-4 weeks ago (hatch date is 5-30-20-6-11-2020) and I had originally gotten the chameleon kit..☹️ I know terrible decision BUT I luckily did research before then and realized I bought, well besides the obvious shit that has to be replaced in that kit, but the wrong size also. Not necessarily wrong size but wasn’t going to work for very long.
Any who fast forward til the past two days and I just feel like my little guy is not happy which makes me unhappy. I may be getting too much in my head because I do that often but I thought what if I just go ahead and build the other cage for him and move him now? I think he’ll be more happy and have more room to roam as well.
The other cage that I will put together is a reptisun 24”X24”X48” with dragon ledges.
Okay so my question.. or advice.
I want to completely move the cage to the living room for many reasons but I need help deciding if this is a good idea.. as I have never held him besides to put him into his cage from after getting him out the box so stress on him is a huge concern.
currently he is in my room in the corner. I want to move him in the living room for more air flow and the window. I have provided a picture of the living room and have marked the spots of where I was thinking of setting up the cage. ALSO I AM A WORKING MOM WITH KIDS AND 2 DOGS DONT JUDGE on the mess it’ll get cleaned????? it’s ok you can judge.
But advice on best location?
Being that it’s next to a window and he’ll get the morning sun do I use the UVB light for 6 hrs rather 12?
Also verification, I’ll need to get the T5 HO for that size cage correct?
Also how do you find a experienced reptile vets in your area? Like is there a certain website to go and look up these experienced vets?
5BD69CDC-9438-4536-9D0A-C61B64A8A37D.jpeg
F04D573C-9034-405E-AFD7-8AF00891129E.jpeg

Hey guys!
So I got my cham 3-4 weeks ago (hatch date is 5-30-20-6-11-2020) and I had originally gotten the chameleon kit..☹ I know terrible decision BUT I luckily did research before then and realized I bought, well besides the obvious shit that has to be replaced in that kit, but the wrong size also. Not necessarily wrong size but wasn’t going to work for very long.
Any who fast forward til the past two days and I just feel like my little guy is not happy which makes me unhappy. I may be getting too much in my head because I do that often but I thought what if I just go ahead and build the other cage for him and move him now? I think he’ll be more happy and have more room to roam as well.
The other cage that I will put together is a reptisun 24”X24”X48” with dragon ledges.
Okay so my question.. or advice.
I want to completely move the cage to the living room for many reasons but I need help deciding if this is a good idea.. as I have never held him besides to put him into his cage from after getting him out the box so stress on him is a huge concern.
currently he is in my room in the corner. I want to move him in the living room for more air flow and the window. I have provided a picture of the living room and have marked the spots of where I was thinking of setting up the cage. ALSO I AM A WORKING MOM WITH KIDS AND 2 DOGS DONT JUDGE on the mess it’ll get cleaned????? it’s ok you can judge.
But advice on best location?
Being that it’s next to a window and he’ll get the morning sun do I use the UVB light for 6 hrs rather 12?
Also verification, I’ll need to get the T5 HO for that size cage correct?
Also how do you find a experienced reptile vets in your area? Like is there a certain website to go and look up these experienced vets? View attachment 275606View attachment 275607
Maybe in the corner where the ladder is. It gives off very good light.

You have very young children which is something to be considered with a cham out in a living room... This is when accidents can happen. A child watching you open the cage decides they can too. The commotion of young children also and their fast movements can be very stressful to a chameleon. Kids that age bounce on furniture, climb on furniture, throw toys, get in fights with each other.... Honestly not a good combo with a chameleon.

Windows in which you get direct sun are dangerous as you can not control the temperature as well. These can become very hot areas and the cham will have no way to retreat from the heat.

Why do you think the cham is not happy?

The living room in a busy house might be a bad idea as @Beman stated. I would leave him in another room if possible and go ahead and build the large enclosure if you already have it. He will be happier with more space. Yes, you linear uvb should be the width of the enclosure. As for vets in your area, I just googled reptile vet near me and the closest to me is 45 min away. So depending on where you live it might be a drive to the vet.

Thanks guys for your feedback!! I really appreciate it.
I completely understand young kids and Chams are a risky game when the kids are wild. Which is why I do a lot of mental prepping with my kids with actually EVERYTHING in life because I know how they can be. And I also know that when I mentally prepare them month/s before actually helps them tremendously when that actual event happens. They go in and see him in the morning but that’s as far as that ever goes. They actually forget about him because as I’ve explained to them they are like the fish. You don’t touch and you see from a distance. They know they can’t be hands on with him so they love to be hands on with the feeders; which is great actually because I get freaked out when they ALL crawl on me lol. But @Beman I do understand exactly where you’re coming from which now makes me step back and say no to the living room because I don’t want them to have that feeling of hey mom's not looking let me throw this fly in there ?.
My room is more controlled because before the cham came shit actually from when they were 1-2 years old they were taught moms room is not a playroom and to not hang in there. So they never stay in the room to hang out. My kids are 5&6 years old atm.
@lizcrespo93 I think I am definitely going to build the next cage and give him that extra height and space will help.
I don’t know guys I am just a first time cham mom and I am EXTRA EXTRA paranoid that I may be doing something wrong. My biggest absolute biggest fear is not realizing something Is wrong with him until death bed and the amount of guilt I will have because well shit it’s already a fear. I know with them they don’t show sickness until it’s too late so I’m just extra paranoid. I stare at those stupid temps and humidity levels I feel like all the time. I feel like I’m constantly looking for his poops to ensure they are healthy and his urates. I lose sleep over this lil guy and knowing how he is feeling because I’m still trying to get to know his colors and meanings. This shit is hard. I knew it was going to be hard but damn.. ? shouldn’t be rocket science ? like I said I get too much in my head.

Thanks guys for your feedback!! I really appreciate it.
I completely understand young kids and Chams are a risky game when the kids are wild. Which is why I do a lot of mental prepping with my kids with actually EVERYTHING in life because I know how they can be. And I also know that when I mentally prepare them month/s before actually helps them tremendously when that actual event happens. They go in and see him in the morning but that’s as far as that ever goes. They actually forget about him because as I’ve explained to them they are like the fish. You don’t touch and you see from a distance. They know they can’t be hands on with him so they love to be hands on with the feeders; which is great actually because I get freaked out when they ALL crawl on me lol. But @Beman I do understand exactly where you’re coming from which now makes me step back and say no to the living room because I don’t want them to have that feeling of hey mom's not looking let me throw this fly in there ?.
My room is more controlled because before the cham came shit actually from when they were 1-2 years old they were taught moms room is not a playroom and to not hang in there. So they never stay in the room to hang out. My kids are 5&6 years old atm.
@lizcrespo93 I think I am definitely going to build the next cage and give him that extra height and space will help.
I don’t know guys I am just a first time cham mom and I am EXTRA EXTRA paranoid that I may be doing something wrong. My biggest absolute biggest fear is not realizing something Is wrong with him until death bed and the amount of guilt I will have because well shit it’s already a fear. I know with them they don’t show sickness until it’s too late so I’m just extra paranoid. I stare at those stupid temps and humidity levels I feel like all the time. I feel like I’m constantly looking for his poops to ensure they are healthy and his urates. I lose sleep over this lil guy and knowing how he is feeling because I’m still trying to get to know his colors and meanings. This shit is hard. I knew it was going to be hard but damn.. ? shouldn’t be rocket science ? like I said I get too much in my head.
I just know how my daughter was at that age... And she knew better. She knew not to get into stuff that was not for her. But that did not stop her when she was 6 years old from stealing her Christmas presents out of my closet and sneaking them to her room to then unwrap them all, hide the wrapping under her bed and the presents in her closet so I would not know. It took me 3 days to discover the theft. :hilarious: We can prep and teach our kids but curiosity is what they are made of at that age. And they see mom do it and they want to be like mom.

As long has you have had a husbandry review and are following all the info given to you then your good. I hate to tell you but I am almost 2 years in and still stress all aspects. I want it to be perfect and I don't want to be the cause of one of my boys dying. This is called love and real human caring.

Yea i would be worried about the dogs too...and I'm sure they're great dogs but they COULD and probably would be perceived as a threat in the chams eyes.... If your REALLY concerned get a reptile vet appointment setup immediately and If you have the time fill out the "form" and you can get advice from people and some experienced keepers i ❤ THIS FORUM and has taught me SO much!

Oh damn hitting that shit on straight on the nail?? that’s so true though that was me every Christmas! And my daughter is already doing the same thing. Lol that’s good!
Well I’m glad to hear that That I’m not the only one that overly stresses this. ❤️ Sucks it’s a forever thing but definitely does show the love and care the owner has and continues to have.
What are the absolute best tips of bonding with your cham?
I’ve never held him and tbh I’m nervous for that time to come because I want him to trust me. He trust the hand for feeding not much else than that which is understandable I’ve had him for 3-4 weeks so I get not wanting to jump onto my hand. I’ve tried bringing a stick to see if he’ll climb on and nope that was a instant no for him. He went straight karate chop stand and red big puffy throat so that idea went out the window real quick lol. I feel like I’m going to have this awesome set up With no cham in it for a while ??

Yea i would be worried about the dogs too...and I'm sure they're great dogs but they COULD and probably would be perceived as a threat in the chams eyes.... If your REALLY concerned get a reptile vet appointment setup immediately and If you have the time fill out the "form" and you can get advice from people and some experienced keepers i ❤ THIS FORUM and has taught me SO much!
I completely agree I love this community it’s why I’m addicted to being on here. These people are amazing and so so generous to share their knowledge and experiences! Thank you so so much as that is also another thing that I can completely understand and shit if I were his size I’d be petrified if I saw this Godzilla (Doberman) came towards me. ? is the height of the cage and the stand it will sit on will help with that as well because he may think we are all threats atm. I will be putting up a doggie gate at my door to keep him out because I’m sure it will still freak him out if he catches a glimpse of the dog.

Oh damn hitting that shit on straight on the nail?? that’s so true though that was me every Christmas! And my daughter is already doing the same thing. Lol that’s good!
Well I’m glad to hear that That I’m not the only one that overly stresses this. ❤ Sucks it’s a forever thing but definitely does show the love and care the owner has and continues to have.
What are the absolute best tips of bonding with your cham?
I’ve never held him and tbh I’m nervous for that time to come because I want him to trust me. He trust the hand for feeding not much else than that which is understandable I’ve had him for 3-4 weeks so I get not wanting to jump onto my hand. I’ve tried bringing a stick to see if he’ll climb on and nope that was a instant no for him. He went straight karate chop stand and red big puffy throat so that idea went out the window real quick lol. I feel like I’m going to have this awesome set up With no cham in it for a while ??
You can try reading my blog on trust building. I recommend when needing to move them using the two hands method one in front and one from the back to get them to go onto the front one. Reading the body language is important. They will bite. keep your fingers pulled in and that space where your thumb connects to your pointer finger... These are spots that they will go for. You must be careful because they will jump off your hand if they feel scared so have one cage close to the other to move him over to it.
You can also move the cage he is in over to the new one and put a stick in between if he just won't tolerate your hands.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Doesn't jannb free range her chameleons while having a dog(s)? Dogs can be pretty chill depending on how they are. Kids on the other hand :ROFLMAO:
My dog leaves the chams alone... I still do not trust her alone if Beman is out on the free range though. HOWEVER when Beman climbs to the bottom of his cage she will go up to see him. Sooooo lol

Thank you @Beman on those tips for handling I’m also going to check out that link during my teacher break time lol I really do appreciate everyone’s help. I’m so glad I have y’all to ask these questions to because I can ask anyone here locally but nobody has a cham so it’s like asking a duck to help ??‍♀️ you ain’t getting very far and will more likely be led the wrong direction.

Back
Top Bottom