TIme for a Change!

We are changing all of Mobi's enclosure and we have new supplies! Screen cage, thermometer, calcium (With D3 and without), etc.! I really hope this is a good change for her! As too what we're doing with the old cage, we're turning it into a laying bin for when she has her eggs! (Sorry for bad quality photos.)

Attachments

• screenshot (2).png
    screenshot (2).png
    360.1 KB · Views: 82
How will you use her old cage as a lay bin? What are your thoughts on this?
It's good you upgraded her stuff. Did you also get her a multivitamin? That is the 4 foot enclosure?
Do you have any recent photos of her? I bet she has grown a lot.

For the old cage as a lay bin, I will clean it out, add the substrate for her to lay in (We have washed play sand atm), and when she is ready, we will put her in and wrap a towel around the cage for privacy. We will put a dripper into there and some (safe) leaves for her to munch on if she wants to.

For the old cage as a lay bin, I will clean it out, add the substrate for her to lay in (We have washed play sand atm), and when she is ready, we will put her in and wrap a towel around the cage for privacy. We will put a dripper into there and some (safe) leaves for her to munch on if she wants to.
Hi, I personally wouldn’t move them when there ready to lay, sounds abit over complicated as a pose to just putting a lay in at the bottom of her new enclosure, stress whilst laying or failure to lay due to stress can cause serious problems. Lay in on the bottom where she has access to at anytime or can move away from is tried and tested, all you need is a tub or adequate size and substrate she can tunnel in

Yes, yes, yes! Father's friend just gave us a bunch of reptile stuff that they didn't need anymore!! We got ANOTHER cage (screen), a dripper (no more plastic cups with a hole!), tongs or crickets, and some plants and vines!! Now we need to work on better UVB and a wider range of feeders coming from a more reliable source. Is there any websites y'all suggest? Any info I need to know??

Attachments

• WIN_20210408_17_02_01_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210408_17_02_01_Pro.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 67
  • WIN_20210408_17_02_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210408_17_02_39_Pro.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 67
  • WIN_20210408_17_01_16_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210408_17_01_16_Pro.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 60
Is that the new cage in the picture? It looks small what species chameleon do the have? It’s also recommended to keep a laying bin in a female enclosure at all times. It’s hard for even experienced keeper like me to tell when they are going to lay. Also, they have a very short time frame to lay and if they miss it they become egg bound.

Now we need to work on better UVB and a wider range of feeders coming from a more reliable source. Is there any websites y'all suggest? Any info I need to know??
It's been a month and you still haven't got a correct UVB? :eek:

Good luck with finding a more reliable feeder source. Some are better than others with particular feeders (e.g. Symton for BSFL) but IME, there is so much competition that there are—or can be—periodic shortages & surpluses everywhere.

My guess is that often when someone finds a good source and posts it, a bunch of people flock to it, and BAM! SOLD OUT! (Shortage).

IME it's prudent to keep a list of vendors you can run down at order time. If your #1 is out, try #2, etc.
Always have a Plan B, C, D, and E. ;)

You can always try the Site Sponsors.

Is that the new cage in the picture? It looks small what species chameleon do the have? It’s also recommended to keep a laying bin in a female enclosure at all times. It’s hard for even experienced keeper like me to tell when they are going to lay. Also, they have a very short time frame to lay and if they miss it they become egg bound.

How will you know when she's ready?
Well, as the other post said, I won't. I'm putting the laying bin at the bottom of her cage so she can lay when ready. I hope everything goes according to plan and she lays her eggs successfully.

It's been a month and you still haven't got a correct UVB? :eek:

Good luck with finding a more reliable feeder source. Some are better than others with particular feeders (e.g. Symton for BSFL) but IME, there is so much competition that there are—or can be—periodic shortages & surpluses everywhere.

My guess is that often when someone finds a good source and posts it, a bunch of people flock to it, and BAM! SOLD OUT! (Shortage).

IME it's prudent to keep a list of vendors you can run down at order time. If your #1 is out, try #2, etc.
Always have a Plan B, C, D, and E. ;)

You can always try the Site Sponsors.
About the UVB: Yes, yes; I know. We haven't had the time and money lately to get another UVB, and we aren't sure how to place it. She has been outside and sitting by a window with natural UVB though, but I'm not sure if that helps. We're going to a PetSmart on Sunday (For birthday presents), and I've seen the correct UVB there, so hopefully, Father will have enough to buy it.

Thank you for the info on feeders, I'm sure it'll be helpful. We're just feeding her dusted crickets (calcium without d3) so I definitely need a wider range of feeders. I've been thinking of buying fruit flies, are those good snacks for her?? Another question. is Fluker's Orange Cube for crickets good to feed to them?? Father bought them and the crickets seem to enjoy eating those.

We also recently bought a thermometer, and I need to be reminded the correct temperatures for her.

Yes, it is the new cage. We have two of those, so we're trying to figure out a way to connect them. The species is a Veiled Chameleon. Thanks for the info on laying, I'll put the bin in the cage.

You said your chameleon is "sitting by a window with natural UVB though"... UVB won't come through most window glass.

I don't recommend using orange cubes. For crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc it's best to use a wide assortment of greens and veggies such as dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, it is the new cage. We have two of those, so we're trying to figure out a way to connect them. The species is a Veiled Chameleon. Thanks for the info on laying, I'll put the bin in the cage.

Here’s an excellent video for how to make a laying bin. It needs to be of good size. It that small cage you would need to hang her plant. I recommend a 4 ft. high cage for an egg laying veiled chameleon.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

This place has reasonable priced cages and free shipping. They are out of the 4 foot at the moment but you could contact them to see when they will get more in.
https://www.diycages.com/collections/vertical-screen-reptile-chameleon-cages

Back
Top Bottom