Thoughts on enclosure?

Etheoffo

This is my male veiled Saige. I just did some major changes in his enclosure and I'm wondering how it looks. His humidity in here stays between 40-55% and the ambient temp is 70-80F.
Any room for improvement?
Saige 1.jpg

Saige 2.jpg

Saige 3.jpg

There's usually room for improvement. What would help us all the most is if you could post some pics showing the top (incl. lighting) on down to the bottom, showing substrate/drainage.

Also, please copy/paste the questionnaire with your answers filled in, either bolded or another font or color for clarity.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

This is my male veiled Saige. I just did some major changes in his enclosure and I'm wondering how it looks. His humidity in here stays between 40-55% and the ambient temp is 70-80F.
Any room for improvement?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled chameleon, 4-5 months old, only had him for about a month and a half
  • Handling - I only handle him when necessary. I try to get him to go on my hand but he hasn't warmed up to me yet.
  • Feeding - Since I've got him, I've fed him crickets, dubia roaches, wax worms and super worms. (I just got super worms today.) I feed him 10-20 crickets a day, or roaches if I have them, although he now refuses to eat roaches. Wax worms I only give 1-2 a week, he loves them though and will take them from my hand.
  • Supplements - I used ReptiCalcium with and without D3. I also have Reptivite without D3. I dust half of his crickets without D3 daily and with D3 two times a month. The vitamins are also twice a month.
  • Watering - I have a homemade dripper which is the cup in the picture. I mist 2-3 times a day or whenever the humidity needs to be raised.
  • Fecal Description - Fecal matter is good. Urates were orange when I got him but they're now white. No test for parasites but I took him to a vet yesterday and they said he looked good.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have a hybrid cage. Glass sides and screen top with another small screen above the door. 30-gallon tank.
  • Lighting - I do not remember the brand of UVB light but it is a 10.0 Linear. The basking is a 100W ZooMed bulb. I leave both lamps on from noon until midnight.
  • Temperature - The low part of the cage gets as high as 70F and the basking is around 85-95. The lowest it gets at night is 50F. I have two thermometers, one at the top and one at the bottom.
  • Humidity - Humidity stays between 40-55%. In rare occasions it raises to 70%. I use the misting bottle to maintain and I also have two live plants. I have a hygrometer in the cage.
  • Plants - I have two live plants. A golden pothos and a bromeliad.
  • Placement His enclosure is in my bedroom. The only living beings he ever sees are my girlfriend and I. I spend a lot of time in my room but it's the only traffic in here. I have a vertical fan that runs 24/7 for airflow and I keep one window open.
  • Location -I'm located in Wisconsin.
enclosure.jpg.JPG
lighting.jpg.JPG

There's usually room for improvement. What would help us all the most is if you could post some pics showing the top (incl. lighting) on down to the bottom, showing substrate/drainage.

Also, please copy/paste the questionnaire with your answers filled in, either bolded or another font or color for clarity.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
I added a reply with that sheet and a couple more pictures. Also, there is no substrate or drainage at the bottom. I just have paper towel that I change weekly when I clean his cage.

Others will weigh in on the first part.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I have a hybrid cage. Glass sides and screen top with another small screen above the door. 30-gallon tank.
That enclosure is too small by 75%. Minimum size for a veiled chameleon is 24" x 24" x 48" (120 gal). The small screen should be under the door to create a stack effect for ventilation.
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

• Lighting - I do not remember the brand of UVB light but it is a 10.0 Linear. The basking is a 100W ZooMed bulb. I leave both lamps on from noon until midnight.
10.0 would be a Reptisun, but 10.0 is too strong for that distance. Either replacing with a 5.0/6%, or raising it 6" should be in the ballpark.

If the basking light is one of these:
1638049919441.png
This is a spot light. Spot lights produce hot spots, which can burn.

For basking lights, (in order of preference):
  1. Household incandescent bulb (not LED)
  2. Incandescent flood light (not LED and not spot light)
  3. Halogen flood light (not spot light)
A clamp light fixture works well for basking lights.

Do you have any plant lighting?

• Temperature - The low part of the cage gets as high as 70F and the basking is around 85-95. The lowest it gets at night is 50F. I have two thermometers, one at the top and one at the bottom.
Basking should be 80-85F. Thermometers should be digital with probes. If they are analog/dial type, they can be quite a bit off, and only register the temp where the unit is—not the microclimate where the chameleon lives (i.e. within the canopy and at the basking site).

• Humidity - Humidity stays between 40-55%. In rare occasions it raises to 70%. I use the misting bottle to maintain and I also have two live plants. I have a hygrometer in the cage.
Again, digital hygrometers with probes are more accurate than dial types. Daytime humidity is fine. Nighttime humidity should be above 80%.
  • Plants - I have two live plants. A golden pothos and a bromeliad.
Need more live plants. This includes vines. Fake plants/vines are not good for a species known for sampling plants; they can cause impaction. Also, live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

He could probably also use some more branches.

• Placement His enclosure is in my bedroom. The only living beings he ever sees are my girlfriend and I. I spend a lot of time in my room but it's the only traffic in here. I have a vertical fan that runs 24/7 for airflow and I keep one window open.
  • Location -I'm located in Wisconsin.
You probably won't be able to keep that window open much longer, and probably shouldn't; cold drafts are bad. Your cham's basking site should be at or above eye level; that's where they're most comfortable.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

I think it would be good to peruse the Husbandry Program on Chameleon Academy.com
and the Resources Section on this site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom