those annoying gnats, aphids, and ants

dodolah

Retired Moderator
There are basically 3 unwanted pests that often become major problem in my chameleon's cage:
#1. Gnats.
#2. Ants.
#3. Aphids.

i have tried most methods from repotting the plants, pouring dish washing soap solution, and physically removing the pest from the plants (aphid).
None works that well.
  • A. Repotting the plants work only for momentary before #2 and #3 comes back. #1 eventually come back.
  • B. Soapy water works; but, take a long time and it actually kill the earthworms that reside in the pot. Once I pour the soap liquid, they all came out and start wriggling like crazy and eventually die. I want to keep the worms to help producing food for my hibiscus. This method does not work against pest #2 and #3.
  • C. Removing #3 by cutting the leaves they were on is waste of time. #2 and #3 works together. #2 will collect #3 from the wild, intrude your cham's cage and introducing the bastards on your plants again.

After careful research, asking couple of vets, and some suggestion from some members, i decided to use Steinernema Feltiae inside the cham's cage.

WTH is it?
It's a parasitical nematode. I know the next question that pop in your head is "Are you CRAZY? introducing parasites inside your chameleon's cage?!"

S. Feltiae is a host specific and considered safe for pets and human.
That is if you decided to eat the contaminated soil or directly eat the worms (i don't know WHY on earth you would do that), the feltiae will not attack you and your pet.

Here are its Pros and Cons:
PRO:
1. Fast! within 48 hours of introducing Feltiae, the gnats became less significantly. I say roughly about 95% are gone. In a week, gnats are completely gone.
2. Work for a long time. The package said that Feltiae will keep combating the pest for 2 years.
3. Summer is coming, ants are starting to attack my house again and obviously, they go straight to my chameleon's room. This time, however, they don't swarm as much as last year. I notice some of the ants have bloated stomach and walk a bit of odd. I realized now that Feltiae apparently also infects ants.
4. Feltiae can be put in the refrigerator for later use. But only for 2 weeks. If you want them to be longer, then you need to dissolve the solution in water.
5. Safe. They are host specific and do not infect your chameleon, you, and beneficial insect such as earthworms. At least, for now, since last fecal check, my chams are still parasite free. It has been 3 months now, so far so good.
6. Easy to administer. Mix with water and spray the soil (preferably in the morning or dawn. when the soil is moist).

Cons:
1. Expensive. One package will cost you 50 dollars.
2. They do not last too long in powder form (2 weeks is their maximum time if you do not introduce them into the soil).
3. Can be fragile during shipping. extreme heat or cold during transfer might kill your feltiae.
4. Careful on where you purchase it. Some company mix perlite and some chemical with Feltiae. Though the worm is harmless to your cham, the chemical fertilizer is not. I bought one from organic company that use kaolin clay powder as medium. It dissolve immediately when you introduce water in it.
5. Some repeated treatments may be needed.

I am not an agent for Feltiae selling company and this is my personal experience. So, it might be different from yours (please do tell if you have ever tried using Feltiae be4).
So, hopefully, that help.
PS: pardon about the grammar. I am in a bit hurry and have no time to proof read my writings. I'll revise when I get home later tonight.
Thanks

Last edited:
This is interesting and would like to hear what others have to say. Has anyone else worked with this species?

Thanks,

Luis

Just a note of support
I've used beneficial nematodes in my greenhouse with great success against fungus gnats. Plant chewing cats, visiting messy children, mantids and I were not harmed and they sure do the trick!

gnats are completely gone by now and the ants have been avoiding my cham's room. Thus, the aphids reduce in number as well.
All within a week time.

I have yet see any negative impact to my chameleons.
I'll update again in future.
the box said the worms will keep killing for 2 years.. we'll see...

cool, I might try it myself.
not that I have a problem now, but anything could happen over the summer months.

Harry

S. Feltiae is a host specific and considered safe for pets and human.
That is if you decided to eat the contaminated soil or directly eat the worms (i don't know WHY on earth you would do that)

Because you don't have a brain in your head. :(

For the first time in 15 years I put a container of water in the refrigerator. The water had nematodes in it.

The wife walked in, opened the refrigerator, and without blinking an eye at the oddity of a jug of water being in the refrigerator for the first time in 15 years, took a couple of swallows. :eek:

Thank you for the advice. I wondered if she was going to have to go to the hospital.

Ummm......You ARE certain they are harmless aren't you?

Idk if these were mentioned already because i really don't know what they are called, but i have a ficus in my cage and little bugs that are black and almost look like spiders make the leaves fold and dry out, any idea how to rid these guys. They are doing any harm just an annoyance.

For the first time in 15 years I put a container of water in the refrigerator. The water had nematodes in it.

The wife walked in, opened the refrigerator, and without blinking an eye at the oddity of a jug of water being in the refrigerator for the first time in 15 years, took a couple of swallows. :eek:

Thank you for the advice. I wondered if she was going to have to go to the hospital.

Is that really happened? or are you just kidding? :eek::eek:

As far as I know, Feltiae is host specific and is designed to attack insects (gnats, caterpillar, ants, etc). It shouldn't cause any problem to your wife.
However, i am not sure where you purchased your feltiae.
As I have mentioned before, some company actually put some chemical fertilizer as an added "bonus."
So, I would be cautious on that aspect more than the nematodes.

If she felt weird, I recommend taking her to the hospital.

Idk if these were mentioned already because i really don't know what they are called, but i have a ficus in my cage and little bugs that are black and almost look like spiders make the leaves fold and dry out, any idea how to rid these guys. They are doing any harm just an annoyance.

I am not familiar with this bug. Are you talking about mites?

So instead of calling the company or some sort of poison control center, you go on a forum an post instead? I'm sorry but I'm pulling the troll card on this one.

This post is an "oddity"... especially being your first.

I set out several 3 oz cups of sugar water with a little veggie oil floated on the top. The gnats land in it and get stuck. Within a couple of days and some well placed gnat traps they are all gone. You will be amazed at how many get trapped. Several dozen per cup.

deja vu, the gnat edition

These gnat posts begin to sound alike after a while.

Here's my contribution: There is a natural bacteria that has beeen found to control gnats; it is a form of the widely used _Bacillus thuringensis_, and it is very specific to the gnat, unlike the nematode.

This is from an earlier post I made:
"There are less expensive, more effective products for gnats such as Gnatrol.
Nematodes are relatively fragile compared with the bacteria (Bt) in the above product.

Also, has anyone checked to see if the nematode sold as a dipteran parasite has been found to attack higher animals?

I found a reference to this, but I can not access the article: can someone with access please see if this is relevant
Impact of Entomopathogenic Nematodes on Non-target Hosts
Author: H. Bathon
DOI: 10.1080/09583159631398
Published in: journal Biocontrol Science and Technology, Volume 6, Issue 3 September 1996

It mentions the nematode in an Anolis."

So yes, your nematodes are a danger to lizards. There is no way I would ever use them in an animal enclosure.

Last edited:
I skipped past most of the posts because they seemed like they were very expensive solutions or too much work.

Have you tried dry ice? The bane of gnats, slugs, small insects, etc. and savior of marijuana growers?

When I first put my 300 gallon all natural terrarium together for my tree frogs I got some insane bursts of mites, gnats, slugs, beetles, aphids, centipedes.... Everything! I put a small bucket of hot water inside, dropped a $3.00 chunk of dry ice into the bucket, sealed the terrarium off with saran wrap, and let it sit for a day. Wala~ Two more treatments later (to hit the larval eggs and whatnot), and no more bugs. Ever.

Not quite sure how you would manage with just your plants.... Maybe you could put them in several layered trash bags and seal them off~

Some food for thought~

Interesting will give it a try next time the aphids hit my pots of cham greens and herbs. Do you know if there are any that would eat black spot fungus? I've been using an organic copper based fungicide but it keeps coming back, at the point where I'm thinking of chucking the effected plants.

Back
Top Bottom