This is tough to post

Sloppysponge

Avid Member
As you may know I have recently bought 2 baby panthers, a nosy faly and a nosy be.

The faly(oswald) wasn't really doing well the day we brought him home, but kept working on him and got him to start to improve and then boom, he passed in a day.

The nosy be(Benny) was strong and seemed healthy for the 2 months we had him steadily gaining weight eating and drinking, we left for a weekend camping trip, came home and he was passed, it seemed like he passed on the Friday because when we got home he still had food left( I filled his cup with extra for the trip).

Long story short we ended up getting a replacement for Oswald and that Cham is doing really really well(about 2 months).

Do you guys thing I just got runts that were not totally healthy to begin with, I have been in contact with the breeder and he says all my husbandry is on point, I am just so taken back by this experience, pets are supposed to be fun and a good time, not just sickness and death.

Any suggestions would help me out!
Thanks in advance.

Could you fill out the how to ask for help questions so we can see what your husbandry is like. If the animals were in poor condition when you received them then my guess is the breeder doesn't know to much about what they are doing.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your two babies. To be honest, I wouldn't leave my chameleon alone even for a weekend. So many bad things can happen to them. They can become ill and go down quickly. Did you throughly sanitize the enclosure and it's contence before putting a new animal in there? Unless you had autopsies then you don't known what killed your babies and you could be passing it on to the new guy.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - panther, male, was told 5 months(looked like 2mo). Been in my care for 2 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I gave him a shower and outside time once by placing a plant ifront of the enclosure and moving the plant once he went inside
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, bean beatles, baby silks, baby horned worms, offering 15 items for the day. What is the schedule?daily feedings How are you gut-loading your feeders? With bug burger, and some fresh vegetables like dandelion, carrot, kale small amounts of sweet potatoe
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repeshys calcium plus, repeshys no d calcium. The schedule I use is was the breeder uses 3 day, day one cal plus, day 2 calcium no d, day three is no dusting.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? We have a mistking How often and how long to you mist? 7 times a day for about 4-6 min per. Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes I have seen him drink, I try to give him his space
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Fecal look very normal, we had one fecal test and it came back negative
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. These guys were the last ones left at the breeder.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions- 18"-18"-36" full screen mistking enclosure
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? t5 5.0 long uvb 40 watt house bulb for heat
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The basking temp is 85, by the floor is 70-72, I use a laser temp gun overnights get about 65-68
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?just after misting is usually 85% constantly lowering to about 55-60% when dryed out
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?no live plant with the babies
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In the spare room of the apartment, no vents no real traffic cage is about 4 feet off the ground
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Waterloo Ontario Canada.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. You guys know what happed

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your two babies. To be honest, I wouldn't leave my chameleon alone even for a weekend. So many bad things can happen to them. They can become ill and go down quickly. Did you throughly sanitize the enclosure and it's contence before putting a new animal in there? Unless you had autopsies then you don't known what killed your babies and you could be passing it on to the new guy.

They have been in different cages that I have cleaned very thorough with soapy water, rinsed then developer and rinsed, and left to dry days untill air dryed.

As far as leaving I have done it beforehand with no issues, we usually have a sitter but not this time, the rest of my collection are fine acting very normal.

I really am okay if I am the problem, I just want to fix everything, before I get the rest of my collection.

The breeder used to be a member on here, his user name is hoj. Don't know if any of you remember anything about him and breeding.

Your husbandry seems very good. You have a clean fecal. You have stumped me and my very limited knowledge of sick chameleons. Without necropsy its hard to say.

I am still new and egar to learn, like I said if there was anything I was doing I am really willing to change for the better of the animal, but I have been told I'm doing everything right as far as the breeder is concerned.

Did you have fecals done in the time that you had them? They could have had parasites. I've received babies several time that had parasites and if parasites go untreated they will kill your chameleon. Twice I've received babies from very reptiable breeders that had cociddia. iF your babies had cociddia soap and water will not kill cociddia. It takes 40 volume proroxide or higher kills cociddia.

Back
Top Bottom