Thermostats

Do you use a thermostat to control your temperatures?

• Yes, it's mad not to

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, I check it every few minutes myself

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I like my chameleon well done, what's a thermostat

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
I do not use a thermostat and would challenge the idea that one is necessary.

Three reasons. One, I employ metal halide fixture which cannot be turned on and off frequently. Two, the fixture is positioned in a way that ensures no contact with the animal, therefore making it impossible for him to burn himself. Third, thermoregulation is a natural behavior of reptiles. In an inclosure that is 4 feet tall, with upper 1/3rd being open space and the lower 2/3rd being complete foliage and the bottom being a foot deep moist ground, the temperature variant is very solid. Bottom of the cage is breezy 69-72 degrees.

The key is proper enclosure setup. The animal must be able to achieve 100% shade cover if desired and the temperature gradient must naturally exist. In such conditions, I see no need for a thermostat. One is build into the reptile's brain already.
Most people don't use metal halides and yes those lamps won't last if the current is being altered by the stat.

The fact a reptile needs to thermo regulate itself isn't in doubt, nor is providing shade, so it isn't relevant when we're discussing regulating basking spot temperatures and how to best achieve that. More importantly, it's how we protect the reptile fromaccidental injury. Unfortunately for many a poor cham seen in the 'help' section of this forum, their natural instinct to thermo regulate doesn't include the 'oh shit, that's hot, I need to get away quick' reflex.

We all seek to maintain a set basking temperature with a small +/- factor and if your current setup works for you then great.

In a morning both of our lights will come on at, or close to full power. Yours is (I'm guessing here of course) positioned far enough away that at it's hottest, doesn't exceed the desired temp. At such a distance, the available heat must, by it's nature, take much longer to propogate before hitting the level we're aiming for. Additionally, due to the distance from point A to B, the heat is spread over a far wider area, which may or may not be desirable, dependent on setup and targets. A lot of the energy is wasted (although I don't think any of us are worrying about the electric bills).

Mine will have a tighter basking area (which is preferable with my setup anyway) but automatically adjusts to maintain the target with no risk at all of any over heating let alone an injury. It's RISK that I seek eliminate and if that can be done for under 50 quid, it's a complete no brainer.

The heat gradient is naturally created by the distance from heat source and is affected by any planting or structures. This applies with or without a stat, so is pretty irrelevant in this.

So, for whatever reason, your lamp slips on it's mounting and drops down (no matter how unlikely), there's no protection in place. The difference is that all my reptiles are protected from any thermal injury, however unlikely it may be and I can be sure all my parameters are optimal, every day, without constant adjustment (that some are doing a lot and for all the right reasons).

I'm sure you don't control your home heating by leaving it on then opening and closing windows all day, you set a thermostat, it regulates and automates the process for you.

We seem to be happy to say that a 400 quid mist king is a must have item but 50 quid on a stat is an extravagance? Think of it as insurance if nothing else.

Of course all setups are different, so let's not look at this on a case by case basis but a general, best for most people method.

sorted i have aquired a dimming thermo for the 100 watt spot bulb do i require any more lighting in the cage as their is a 24 inch strip uv in there
No you just need the uvb T5 fixture and bulb which I am guessing is your 24in strip and the heat dome with heat bulb. 100 watt bulb is going to put out some really high heat so make sure you get the dimming thermostat on it when you get it.

sorted i have aquired a dimming thermo for the 100 watt spot bulb do i require any more lighting in the cage as their is a 24 inch strip uv in there
Heat and UVB are the must haves so you're sorted there. If you have live plants, you may want to consider a plant grow light but it's not a must have.

@SharpShooter so just making sure I set mine up right. I have always had the sensor for the thermometer right on the basking branch. I have always aimed for 82-83 degrees on the branch due to him sitting 2 inches above it and that being warmer since the top of his body is closer to the light. Am I on the right track with this method? I was going to wire in the thermostat the same way on the basking branch.

@SharpShooter so just making sure I set mine up right. I have always had the sensor for the thermometer right on the basking branch. I have always aimed for 82-83 degrees on the branch due to him sitting 2 inches above it and that being warmer since the top of his body is closer to the light. Am I on the right track with this method? I was going to wire in the thermostat the same way on the basking branch.
Just the same way. You will prob take a day or two to dial in what you want but after that, you can almost forget. It'll keep that spot at your target +/- a degree.

Just the same as the thermostat on your household heating. When you set it to a comfortable level, you can forget it.

Just the same way. You will prob take a day or two to dial in what you want but after that, you can almost forget. It'll keep that spot at your target +/- a degree.

Just the same as the thermostat on your household heating. When you set it to a comfortable level, you can forget it.
Thank you so much again for posting this thread! It will make such a difference not having to worry about if it has jumped in temp. I really had no idea that there was something like this available. :)

Back
Top Bottom