Thermal Burn?

tknapp9

My 6-9 month veiled has been really pale for the past couple weeks. I’ve added new sticks to his enclosure but he still wakes up really green but then gets really pale and dark as the day goes on. I’ve also noticed that when his body is really green in the morning his head is really dark so I’m worried that is some thermal burn from getting too close to his lights. Let me know. Thank you.
IMG_6187.jpeg
IMG_6189.jpeg
IMG_6166.jpeg

The basking area should be around 82 and everywhere else should be around 79. I have the basking branch around 9 inches from the bulb. The branches that he tends to sit on are right under the uvb bar.

You want his ambient temps 78-72, I worry he may be getting too hot. Place your hand right where the top of his casque is under his basking light to make sure it is a soft comfortable warmth.

I personally don't think I see any thermal burns, male veileds will get black coloration in their face as they mature, but I am not too familiar with male veileds as I currently only have a female veiled. @Beman what do you think?

Yea there’s definitely area where he can go where it’s cooler but he just sits at the top of his branches right under the light. He’s really green in the morning and when I feed but then turns dark so I feel like I’m doing something wrong or something is stressing him out.

I am not seeing a thermal burn. But you want to make it so he can not get right up to the screen under the heat or a thermal burn can happen. Either cut down that branch that sticks up too high or raise that heat fixture up off the top of the cage a good 4 inches or so.

I am not seeing a thermal burn. But you want to make it so he can not get right up to the screen under the heat or a thermal burn can happen. Either cut down that branch that sticks up too high or raise that heat fixture up off the top of the cage a good 4 inches or so.
Ok I’ll shorten the branches. What else should I do or change? I hate to think that he’s stuck in his cage under constant stress.

Ok I’ll shorten the branches. What else should I do or change? I hate to think that he’s stuck in his cage under constant stress.
Try to set it up so that the highest branches are 8-9 inches below the screen top where the lights are. Add more horizontal branches. Maybe a nice centerpiece plant to fill it out a bit more. Get dragon ledges so you can mount things easier. Then your not having to rely on the vertical large branch going up the middle. Or you could put in lattice. @MissSkittles can you post pics of how you did the lattice?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM copy.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 23
I drilled some tiny holes in the lattice ends where I wanted/needed to attach to the frame. I used thin wires. In retrospect I should have either drilled tiny holes in the frame or attached the wires to the screws of the enclosure to prevent ir from slipping down. First pic shows the basics and how I even have a plant hanging. Second pic is a different completed enclosure. Tall plants on floor. Pothos elevated on upside down plant pots and one pothos hanging.
IMG_5011.jpeg
IMG_3336.jpeg

Try to set it up so that the highest branches are 8-9 inches below the screen top where the lights are. Add more horizontal branches. Maybe a nice centerpiece plant to fill it out a bit more. Get dragon ledges so you can mount things easier. Then your not having to rely on the vertical large branch going up the middle. Or you could put in lattice. @MissSkittles can you post pics of how you did the lattice?
Thank you! What if he is climbing on the walls of his cage? The other day I saw him hanging onto the wire netting.

Thank you! What if he is climbing on the walls of his cage? The other day I saw him hanging onto the wire netting.
So part of the issue is he has very little usable space with the way it is set up. That is why I wanted @MissSkittles to post her images of using the lattice in a cage. Not only does this limit screen climbing but you can zip tie branches to it. If it is an active screen climber than taking the lattice all the way up the side panels on the back and two sides will limit what they can attach to on those panels.

Back
Top Bottom