The Tip of My Chameleons tail is a little black does it mean something?

MaraM

I’m very new to chameleons, I got a new veiled chameleon yesterday. I did research on them for about 2 months before getting one so I know a decent amount. Yesterday as I was putting her into her new cage, I noticed the tip of her tail is slightly black. I just kind of let it be and would check on it later to see if it’s still there. I checked today and it look pretty much the same. I’m not sure if it’s just her coloring or if it’s something I should be worried about. I don’t think she looks sick at all, she’s eating fine and she can still move it because I saw she had it curled up last night. It might just be the coloring and I’m just a little paranoid but I would definitely rather be safe than sorry so if anyone does know please let me know what it is. If you need anymore pictures or details I can provide more. (Sorry the picture is a little blurry, it was hard to focus on her little tail ?)

Attachments

• 5B17C4FE-874C-428F-A5F0-7F2A51686ABA.jpeg
    5B17C4FE-874C-428F-A5F0-7F2A51686ABA.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DCDFAA84-71D7-4D3F-AF64-6EA3466209AD.jpeg
    DCDFAA84-71D7-4D3F-AF64-6EA3466209AD.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 172
Hi there and welcome. Looks as though she has a bit of an injury. Could have been from a clutch mate biting her or even someone closed her tail in a door. Is she curling it all the way up? Using it to hold on?

The main thing is you want to make sure it does not become necrotic and die off... looks almost like there is a spot at the start of the color deterioration. Maybe from a feeder biting her. Not sure.

See what it looks like tomorrow and update with new pics.

Hi there and welcome. Looks as though she has a bit of an injury. Could have been from a clutch mate biting her or even someone closed her tail in a door. Is she curling it all the way up? Using it to hold on?

The main thing is you want to make sure it does not become necrotic and die off... looks almost like there is a spot at the start of the color deterioration. Maybe from a feeder biting her. Not sure.

See what it looks like tomorrow and update with new pics.
She is curling it all the way up and I have seen her wrap it around leaves. Thank you so much I will take pictures tomorrow!

She is curling it all the way up and I have seen her wrap it around leaves. Thank you so much I will take pictures tomorrow!
The fact that she can do a full tail curl and use it for holding on is a good sign. So I would just keep an eye on it. Take pics tomorrow. :) But I would start calling around to see if there are reptile vets with Chameleon experience just in case she needs to be seen for it.

I was looking at it today and I think she’s about to begin shedding. I noticed that parts of the tail are beginning to look like they are kind of flaky and I noticed that the side of her body is also a little like that. It does look like she is recovering from her tail being bitten or closed in a door so that might be it. I did call around and I found a vet that will take her if it looks like it gets worse. It doesn’t really look like it’s gotten any worse though. The picture I took today does make it look a little worse then it actually looks. I was going to take a picture of her curled up tail last night but it was behind a leaf.

Attachments

• 5AA13707-8D25-4EA6-AEAA-756C2524325A.jpeg
    5AA13707-8D25-4EA6-AEAA-756C2524325A.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 103
I was looking at it today and I think she’s about to begin shedding. I noticed that parts of the tail are beginning to look like they are kind of flaky and I noticed that the side of her body is also a little like that. It does look like she is recovering from her tail being bitten or closed in a door so that might be it. I did call around and I found a vet that will take her if it looks like it gets worse. It doesn’t really look like it’s gotten any worse though. The picture I took today does make it look a little worse then it actually looks. I was going to take a picture of her curled up tail last night but it was behind a leaf.
Uggg yeah it does not look good either though. This is on the edge of my skill set lol. I am going to tag in someone else.
@kinyonga what do you think about the last pic of the babies tail? Should the OP go ahead and get her in with a reptile vet or wait and see if it heals on its own? Anything you would recommend for home treatment?

Be sure you are not giving too much D3 it can affect the tail tip. There are other causes but that is a common one.
Question... She just got the baby and came with the tail issue. It is using it fully but do you think that she needs a vet now or keep observing to make sure it does not die off?

Be sure you are not giving too much D3 it can affect the tail tip. There are other causes but that is a common one.
I’ll definitely keep an eye out on that. I haven’t given her any calcium with d3 yet but I do know her favorite spots are all around where her UVB light is. Thank you so much ?

If it is from to much D3 it would be from the oral supplements they don't make more from UVB than they can use. I'm iffy on whether this needs a vet or not. If it stops and just the tail tip is lost they can do well. If it continues to spread up the tail at all then a vet should be consulted. A little silvadene wouldn't be a bad idea.

If it is from to much D3 it would be from the oral supplements they don't make more from UVB than they can use. I'm iffy on whether this needs a vet or not. If it stops and just the tail tip is lost they can do well. If it continues to spread up the tail at all then a vet should be consulted. A little silvadene wouldn't be a bad idea.
I did get her from PetCo so I don’t know what their feeding routine was like, but I’ll definitely make sure to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t get any worse. If I notice it’s not getting better within a few days, I’ll definitely go ahead and take her to the vet. It definitely doesn’t look good but it doesn’t seem to bother her and she can use it so it’s not an absolute emergency. I’ll give her like 2-3 days before I decide to take her.

Percocet is notorious for only using calcium with D3 for all their reptiles every feeding. That said group cages of babies can lead to tail nipping and other accidents. I would wait a month before giving any oral D3 then resume normal schedule

Percocet is notorious for only using calcium with D3 for all their reptiles every feeding. That said group cages of babies can lead to tail nipping and other accidents. I would wait a month before giving any oral D3 then resume normal schedule
Okay, thank you so much for being so helpful I will definitely do that ?

Back
Top Bottom