The Escapee!!!!

dirklance

So my wife and I had an interesting event happen last night...

At around 2AM I start waking up to a little tickle on my leg while I lay in bed. Being half asleep, I gently brush the blanket off my leg which was doing the tickling...

or so I thought...

Now the tickling starts moving up my leg...

Again, half asleep, I start to sit up and inspect this weird sensation. Through the darkness I can just make out this faint little dark thing crawling up my leg!!!

In my groggy haze I start thinking about what this little thing could be. It's a little smaller than the size of a Timbit donut (canadian, errrrr?). Suddenly it hits me...

ONE OF THE DUBIA GOT OUT!!!!! WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!

How would a Dubia escape?? My Dubia tub has a secured lid!

My mind starts racing, I start to really wake up now in a panic...

I brush the Dubia off my leg onto the bed. Then it JUMPS down off the bed onto the ground.

Wait a second...

DUBIA DON'T JUMP!!!

Now I am COMPLETELY baffled...

I grab my phone and shine the light on this creature to see...

IT WAS ONE OF OUR FIRE BELLY TOADS?!?!?!?! HOW THE...

My wife wakes up to me panicking, we start freaking out. How the heck did he escape?!?!? Is the little toadster OK?!?! Are the cats ok?? How long has he been out?!?!

We think he might have escaped while me wife was feeding them earlier that afternoon. Sometimes they like to climb the little plants we have in there and they hide out in them. The cats were fine. The toadster seems fine. He was swimming around and stuff this morning. I have no idea how he managed to avoid two toad hunting kitties and make it all the way across our place into our bedroom - and then onto our bed and up my leg!! It's like he knew that his toad-dad would save him!!

We also cleaned out the cats water bowl just incase. I am so glad there were no fatalities. I am glad that I remained calm enough to not swat whatever was crawling up my leg!

Needless to say it took me about an hour to fall back to sleep by the time my heart-rate came back down.

So there you have it...

The Escapee...

First of all I am so glad it was not a Dubia cause to me that would be the worst possible thing that could happen! Those things FREAK me out! Secondly, I am glad that your little froggie did not become cat nip! A funny story with a happy ending. I love it "toad dad"!!!

First of all I am so glad it was not a Dubia cause to me that would be the worst possible thing that could happen! Those things FREAK me out! Secondly, I am glad that your little froggie did not become cat nip! A funny story with a happy ending. I love it "toad dad"!!!

Agreed! Haha I had a similar escape from my veileds when I was fixing their cage up at the pet store I work at. They were just babies and all of a sudden we turn around and one of them had managed to open up the box and get out! And further more go hide!!! So there we were 45 minutes, 3 people looking for this little baby. We couldn't understand how he could walk so fast. Finally we decide to start checking cabinets... There he was... About 4 feet up trying to climb into a snake cage. Most stressful 45 minutes of my life.

WOW! I'm surprised you managed to get back to sleep at all - my heart would still be racing. Awesome that the story ended as well as it did, "toad-dad" :D

Back
Top Bottom