Tearing up newspaper???

Hey.

My chameleon was making a lot of noise recently. I went to figure out what he was doing. And he was tearing up the newspaper at the bottom? I can’t quite figure out why. Other than this he’s healthy according to my vet!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 31
Just some helpful tips and questions:

1) Remove the stuffed animals from the top of the enclosure
2) Get rid of the newspaper and put in a Reptibreeze substrate tray
3) Sent us a pic of the chameleon so we can confirm the species and sex
4) Is there a linear UVB basking bulb on the enclosure?
5) My guess is it’s a female trying to lay eggs
6) What is your feeding schedule? What bugs are you offering?
7). What is the temp at basking? The enclosure is by a window, does the enclosure get direct sunlight?

Just some helpful tips and questions:

1) Remove the stuffed animals from the top of the enclosure
2) Get rid of the newspaper and put in a Reptibreeze substrate tray
3) Sent us a pic of the chameleon so we can confirm the species and sex
4) Is there a linear UVB basking bulb on the enclosure?
5) My guess is it’s a female trying to lay eggs
6) What is your feeding schedule? What bugs are you offering?
7). What is the temp at basking? The enclosure is by a window, does the enclosure get direct sunlight?
There is a basking bulb and linear uvb in there

I also feed him gut loaded crickets every couple of days and horn worms once in awhile

Basking temp is 81.5 and sits in-front of the window.

E3A1523F-06C2-4597-9964-8146585CFD2A.jpeg
9135E58D-9DF8-4F9D-A5F0-BB4FBDBE67C4.jpeg

Second picture is from a year ago, i assume is he is male due to the spurs on his feet

He looks like a male veiled with a bad burn on his casque that stunted its growth. I’m guessing that happened when he was much younger? The tall casque of a male veiled chameleon is susceptible to burns from a heat lamp.

Hi. He has had that burn for about a year, my vet has treated it and says it is just stunted
Poor buddy. He’s beautiful. I have a male veiled.

My female suffered burns on her spine. She was my first chameleon and I had purchased the infamous chameleon kit with a basking branch too close to the heat bulb. She healed nicely too with some TLC and advice from the forums.

Definitely consider getting rid of those fake plants and buy some pothos. It’s cheap and easy to install. If you need help I’ll send pics of my enclosures. Veiled chameleons are known to eat plants so I’m not surprised he’s tearing up newspaper. We just don’t want him swallowing newspaper bits because it could be an impaction risk. Also get a substrate tray to catch the water.

I wonder if this has to do with the color in the newspaper? I see a lot of red and what not that might be indicating to him that he shouldn't be where he is. Like a 'warning' from another chameleon???

I think you should try simply not putting newspaper down there. Or put down some brown paper if you can. See if he still does this.

Maybe it's just the wrong section and he just wants the cartoon section!? :LOL:

Hi. I’m wondering why he’s even down on the floor of his enclosure. Instinct is to be up high, so I’m wondering if there’s some reason he’s on the floor...like maybe he isn’t happy in his enclosure and is looking for a way of escape. What is the size of your enclosure? Can you post some more pics of it, including the lights please?

Back
Top Bottom