Taming

lexiexxox

I got my cham about 3 weeks ago and ever since day one, I’ve been hand feeding him all his insects. Sometimes I would lead him onto my hand with a hornworm by moving it further and further away so the only way he could reach the worm was to get on my hand. I have been successful with this 3 times in a row. Now I tried this again a few times and he doesn’t follow it. If it gets too far away he turns around and basks again. Is this because he’s not hungry, he learned that when I move it away he will end up on my hand, or something else? Any tips on taming and how long it will take? I watched some videos on taming but I didn’t get the info I wanted. I don’t want to overdo it and I just want to make it easy for him to willingly crawl on my hand if I need to clean the cage, take him to the vet, or give him natural sunlight on the indoor tree by my window. Am I doing it right? What are some things I can do to help him tolerate me taxiing him somewhere?

not sure what else you could do maybe just start tying to have him climb on you with out a snack just stay still and just have your hand out.

Have you seen my video yet?

Took 5 months for Neptune to come out on his own. Sometimes they loose interest in treats especially if you use them a lot. They loose their novelty factor. Just be patient, work at his pace, and listen to his body language. Even to this day, there are days where Neptune doesn't want to come out and that's totally fine. Best not to force it.

Have you seen my video yet?

Took 5 months for Neptune to come out on his own. Sometimes they loose interest in treats especially if you use them a lot. They loose their novelty factor. Just be patient, work at his pace, and listen to his body language. Even to this day, there are days where Neptune doesn't want to come out and that's totally fine. Best not to force it.

Got it. Thank you!

I found at the beginning that leaving the cage open, me working nearby was a start - sometimes closed, but just being around. Then having something for her to crawl onto (near her open cage) to get out and into her free range was good. Additionally sometimes putting my hand in, leaving it there, moving it slowly closer to her and if showed no sign of distress, touch her foot and leave it there for a bit. Try to gain a little ground if body language was good and move my finger under her foot if it worked. She would sometimes puff out, lunge and hiss but I always kept my hand nearby and waited for those behaviours to stop, not removing my hand. When she calmed, I would either leave my hand there or move a little closer very slowly. I would only draw my hand away when she was calm. Eventually give her opportunities to walk on me if she felt it. We eventually did handfeeding too, I looked for advice online and other advice was about not making direct eye contact with her right way but rather focus on the feeder insects - eventually this was less important. Being lower (physically) than your cham and moving your hand towards them slowly from below, observing their body language too. We had to use a stick - for her to walk on for her to come out, but now she walks out onto a hand or arm to eat her meals every day and is good with different people (as long as they learn the routines and how to act around her), and sometimes comes out voluntarily for extra free range time. I can put my hand in and with patience, sometimes she comes out for no reason at all, and sometimes she is restless and at the door wanting to come out. Other days, not.

I also at one point had a connector plant from her free range to my desk and sometimes she would walk across the desk and back again at points - she learned that nothing scary would happen from the human typing at the computer:)

Back
Top Bottom