Tail rot

jack_wardayyyy

Established Member
Hi everyone!

I’ve just been reading on tail rot and looking at images now I’m pretty sure my Cham doesn’t have tail rot but the end of his tail doesn’t have as much colour and is more of a dark green/grey colour, picture to come!

Could anyone advise if this is the start? Or if this is just normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 47
Just to follow up on this he’s still using his tail as normal and is curling up when sleeping, relaxing or balancing

Can you post a picture of the entire cham please? I do not see anything that stands out with the tail that I would be concerned about. Nothing on the surface and you said he is using it normally so I doubt an injury due to a fall but it is possible.

Can you post a picture of the entire cham please? I do not see anything that stands out with the tail that I would be concerned about. Nothing on the surface and you said he is using it normally so I doubt an injury due to a fall but it is possible.
image.jpg

He is currently hiding in his leaves using his tail 🤣I’ll try snap a better pic when he comes out but yes he’s always using it, I just read about it going dark could means tail rot but you can still see colour throughout it’s just a darker shade of green

image.jpg

Looks like there is an old would to the top of the tail. Has the discoloration happened since you got him or was it like that when you got him?

I’m unsure, I think it has been like that since I have had him, he has a little snag on his tail where he's missing scales like a scar but that’s it. I’ve made myself paranoid over this now! I can’t see his tail properly in any of my older pictures because he always wraps it around

These were taken the day I met him at the store so I’m assuming it has always been like this and I’ve had him for over a month now

Attachments

• IMG_5204.png
    IMG_5204.png
    878.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5205.png
    IMG_5205.png
    616.8 KB · Views: 40
Had the same issue with my guy was young . I’m thinking he may have gotten his tail caught on something. I noticed it was still fully functioning, Turned almost black. I was mortified. But within about six weeks, it had returned to its normal color. He’s a year old now and you would never know it happened. Not sure if it’s the same as your experience. But that’s what I had happened.

Had the same issue with my guy was young . I’m thinking he may have gotten his tail caught on something. I noticed it was still fully functioning, Turned almost black. I was mortified. But within about six weeks, it had returned to its normal color. He’s a year old now and you would never know it happened. Not sure if it’s the same as your experience. But that’s what I had happened.
You can see in that pic that the tip of the tail wrapping around your wrist is a little darker... I would say he is fine though. Could be from an old injury. May just be his coloring.
Appreciate both the replies a lot, puts my mind at ease, thank you :)

In his first week or two with me he was on nutribol every meal. He is now on calcium without D3 6 days a week and nutribol one day a week. Will this recover?

If it is a bruise it will over time. If he's been getting D3 daily prior to the 2 weeks you gave it I don't know. I wouldn't expect to see tail damage that quickly. I would skip a few of the weekly doses. D3 can be stored in their liver for months.

So a few weeks of just calcium without vitamin D3 and no nutribal at all? My only worry would be the other vitamins that he would miss out on

The other vitamins would be beneficial but you would need to use a vitamin without D3.
Appreciate the help man! So should I never use anything with D3 is this something I should look to avoid all the time or is there a set amount of times a month a chameleon should have a vitamin with D3?

Back
Top Bottom