T. Montium, anyone have info regarding

This is a female I got a few clutches of eggs from.
12710-1318802726-2b9867461c0b0f94d6f755d9bbd14a79.jpg

Here are some of her babies.
IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

And this is one of the males I managed to raise to adulthood.
20140701_190557_LLS.jpg
20131230_192111.jpg

I could only get good pictures of him when he was asleep because he would shy away from the camera. There are some more pictures in the media section of my profile too.

I just now stumbled on this thread so I missed it first time around. I don't have much to share other than this was my first cham! It was about 25 yrs ago (before Petsmart/Petco) and a local pet store was selling babies. The owners were talking about a coup in Camroon at the time and they were getting mega imports and selling them cheap. They were also selling me on how this breed was mountainous and they didn't need a hot climate and easier to care for (I bought it).

Unfortuantely, at the time I bought him I was not even close to educated enough to take it on (shocking!) Plus, I had a job that required travel and had to leave his care to my girlfriend (wife now) when away and that was not cool of me. Anyway, I think I proabably overdosed him on calcium and after two visits to the vet (who were not really reptile experts) the cham baby died. But I've always held some interest in this species and rarely ever see them mentioned anymore.

Unfortunately, our only real hope of seeing montium back in the US is through some Canadian breeders that keep montium. As far as I can find, we have all of one or two in the US. They are not available to be exported from Cameroon at this time. There is no indication when that will change.
It is very sad that we lost this species considering how many flooded into the country and how cheap they were. (And they weren’t hard to breed).
All we can do is see what happens. And if there is a species that you love right now that is just too cheap to breed - consider investing in that species long term! Exports are shutting down without warning all around.

Montium are INCREDIBLE chameleons and if some are allowed out again I know there is enough enthusiasm this time that it will not be wasted. So, let’s just keep our eyes open on world events....

Bill

Unfortunately, our only real hope of seeing montium back in the US is through some Canadian breeders that keep montium. As far as I can find, we have all of one or two in the US. They are not available to be exported from Cameroon at this time. There is no indication when that will change.
It is very sad that we lost this species considering how many flooded into the country and how cheap they were. (And they weren’t hard to breed).
All we can do is see what happens. And if there is a species that you love right now that is just too cheap to breed - consider investing in that species long term! Exports are shutting down without warning all around.
View attachment 242292

Montium are INCREDIBLE chameleons and if some are allowed out again I know there is enough enthusiasm this time that it will not be wasted. So, let’s just keep our eyes open on world events....

Bill

Thank you for posting, I really appreciate your input! I absolutely love this species.

Eventually in the future, I would like to contribute to the cham world by breeding something a little less common in the US.

There are a select handful of people who still keep and breed them in Canada but to my knowledge there are none in the US at this time. Jill is right Cameroon has been closed for a good while and whatever was smuggled through like 4 years ago hasn’t lasted in the US as far as I’ve heard.

There are a select handful of people who still keep and breed them in Canada but to my knowledge there are none in the US at this time. Jill is right Cameroon has been closed for a good while and whatever was smuggled through like 4 years ago hasn’t lasted in the US as far as I’ve heard.

Thank you joe.

Off topic, but haven't seen you on here in a long time, how is everything going?

Hey man. Yea I have been consumed by work and children. I check this website like once a month or so. Hope everything is good with you.

Hope all is well with your family. I can relate a little, we just had our second baby... now have a 1 year old and 1 month old and just bought our first house moving in little by little.

Btw how the chams doing?

There are some WCs(1 male 2 females) of these available out there. I was going to pick them up to take a shot at breeding, but it really came at the worst time! I just have too much on my plate and not the funds atm. Hoping a responsible keeper grabs them. If someone did here, you could bet I'd buy 1 or 2 babies if you get some in the future.

Thank you for sharing, I'm guessing any that did come in would be WC
Thank you for sharing, I'm guessing any that did come in would be WC
James,

If you’re willing to do the cites paperwork, there are two breeders up here. The one I know of is “cage the chameleons”:https://m.facebook.com/Cagethechameleons/
However, I’m sure that they’ll have a line on some American breeders too: the rare montagnes is a small comunity

Back
Top Bottom