swollen casque

jenie

how do you know if they have a respiratory infection? i have a 2 year old yemen and he has a swollen casque and isnt eating much he is also gaping alot can anyone help?

Pictures are a must........

We do need pictures...."Swollen" casques are not something associatad with URI problems. The gaping is. A picture would help us figure out if there is another problem. And all the information on the requested form will help us figure out if there is something obvious that is causing these problems.

chameleon - male yemen about 2 years old, owned it for 5 months
handling - we dont handle him too much but he is quite friendly
feeding - we give him cricket, wax worm, cockroches and now trying grass hoppers but he hasn't been eating much just the odd wax worm.
supplements - we dust his food a few times a week we use nutroble vitamins and reptivite.
watering - we use a dish with a pump he is drinking well and often. we mist morn and night.
fecal description - his urine is white and his poo is dark brown.
history - about a month ago he had an eye infection which we got drops for. he fell 2 weeks ago when he was hanging by one leg and geting food but he pulled himself down, he fell about 20 inches.

cage - his cage is a converted wardrobe 5ft tall 18ches deep 2 1/2 ft wide with glass doors and 10x4 inch vent.
light - he has 1 5.0 UV bulb and a 100watt infared heat lamp.
temp - 85F
humidity - averaging 40%
plants - none most wood is eucalyptus
placement - just beside the door and 2ft from the roof
location - northern ireland

sorry but im having problems uploading a picture.

Go to photobucket.com and make an account then upload your picture. Put your mouse over the picture and a bunch of code lines will come up. Copy and paste the IMG one here.

Questions..........

While waiting for photos I have some questions and comments........

I'm not sure what "nutroble vitamins and reptivite" products are. Get the products and tell us exactly what is on the lable. We need to know if they have calcium, D3 or Beta Carotene in them. You may be dusting too much for an adult Veiled.

The dish with the "pump" needs to go. It is a place that will harbor bacteria (within the pump). Yemens will drink from plant leaves. The dish is not needed.

From what you describe of your cage, there is not enough ventilation in it. One small vent is not nearly enough. I understand a lot of people your way use glass for caging. I do believe that they still manage to get a lot more ventilation in their set-ups.

What is the gradient of your temperatures? 85 degrees is fine for the basking during the day. The rest of the cage should be graduated down in temperature. What is the night time temperature situation?

You listed "plants - none most wood is eucalyptus" You need to get some big leafy potted plants in the cage for drinking and for your chams sense of security. Pothos and ficus work well. It will also naturally help keep humidity in a reasonable range. I'm not sure how appropriate eucalyptus wood is. I've got the living trees in my yard. I know that if you scratch it slightly you get a very pungent burst of the eucalyptus smell. It has a lot of oil in it too. Maybe someone is California can pipe up about it's use in reptile cages. They have it all over the place there.

Anyway, those are my thoughts without seeing pictures.....

Last edited:
Jenie is situated in the UK (Northern Ireland). I too use Nutrabol which is a vitamin powder also containing calcium and D3. Reptivite is another vitamin powder and can be bought in 'with D3' or 'without D3' forms. I use Nutrabol once a week and plain calcium 3 times a week. I would add that Nutrabol doesn't tend to coat feeders as easily as plain calcium (Komodo Cricket Dust).

Back
Top Bottom