Swelling after a fall any thoughts

Rob040883

Hi all, hope you’re all well!

I was hoping for some experience after my man had a 6ft fall 2 days ago ???

I’ve attached pictures however he has a swelling under his throat and on his side. It seems to be fluid and is only disable on his side when he moves a particular way. It’s not supplement related and is definitely an injury. Have you come across this sort of damage before and can I expect his body to absorb the fluid? Vets is clearly an option. Behaviourally he is absolutely fine, colour is as it was pre fall, drinking, eating, roaming the viv, everything seems normal apart from these swellings. Any help would be really appreciated!
92CECAA2-FE0D-4C21-9DB5-9E84B999DB5A.jpeg
9B9236AD-3495-4094-BCD5-EE6F5C1873F5.jpeg
788B81B5-3055-4569-8328-7AB1B5709650.jpeg
3F75ABF4-1F51-4FC5-A08C-9FF67F962034.jpeg
195F1B4E-DA4B-451C-8B7E-3520E5DC91EC.jpeg
286C00B3-E5D9-4991-946D-13EE56B0755F.jpeg
FB045172-57D3-45BE-8D8A-802256234455.jpeg
EE44FDF6-A486-4EF7-AA4E-95F7191E626B.jpeg
15BE648F-AC3F-411E-BB8E-BF6B299C8AE1.jpeg

Attachments

• EB6ECAB0-97F0-41AA-9728-FDD8CCD2B744.jpeg
    EB6ECAB0-97F0-41AA-9728-FDD8CCD2B744.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 42
Looks like Edema... I know your not suspecting it to be supplement related but what supplements are you using and how often?
Thanks for the reply. It’s only appeared since his fall but in using Arcadia calcium, miner all, reptivite. Calcium 3 weekly, miner all 1 weekly, reptivite 1 fortnightly. Thanks again

Thanks for the reply. It’s only appeared since his fall but in using Arcadia calcium, miner all, reptivite. Calcium 3 weekly, miner all 1 weekly, reptivite 1 fortnightly. Thanks again
Is your minerall the indoor or outdoor version? Is the reptivite with or without D3?

Has he been clumsy as well?

Having your UVB on the inside of the cage can create an overexposure to UVB. This in itself can cause issues.

Is your minerall the indoor or outdoor version? Is the reptivite with or without D3?

Has he been clumsy as well?

Having your UVB on the inside of the cage can create an overexposure to UVB. This in itself can cause issues.
Thanks again. No not clumsy at all, still full of energy, roaming the viv, happy to be handled etc etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 54
Thanks again. No not clumsy at all, still full of energy, roaming the viv, happy to be handled etc etc
Well the supplementation is almost perfect... You are supplementing with mineral too frequently. This one should be only 2 times a month just like the reptivite. Rotating these two supplements week to week. It is edema based on the location of the swelling. Edema can happen due to over supplementation of D3.

I know that the fall is what your focused on as being the culprit due to the timing of the edema... but I think it is your supplementation.

So I would not dust with the D3 for 3-4 weeks let the edema come down. D3 is fat soluble so it takes time for the levels to balance back out in the tissues. It should reduce on it's own. But I am always supportive of a vet visit with an experience reptile vet.

Additionally I just want to give you a heads up on the over exposure risk with the UVB lighting inside the cage.
While I am not as versed in over exposure I do know that it can cause issues to the eyes, organ function, and skin cancers. I can see your running an arcadia fixture there. I can tell you that the output on just a 6% bulb without anything reducing the UVI level (like screen) is crazy high. Example I run a 6% bulb and 3 inches away I get a UVI of 17... at 5 inches this is now 14 UVI. The recommended UVI level for Panthers is 3.

Awesome advice. Do you think with the possible over exposure it could effect the absorption of D3 also, increasing the negative effect. How about stress bringing on the edema? Have you ever heard of that? Maybe the shock of it or a trauma to kidneys?

Awesome advice. Do you think with the possible over exposure it could effect the absorption of D3 also, increasing the negative effect. How about stress bringing on the edema? Have you ever heard of that? Maybe the shock of it or a trauma to kidneys?
Yes, I do know that compromised organ function can impact their ability to properly utilize supplements. If indeed the organs have been compromised then they would be able to tell this doing a blood draw. The Edema is bound to happen when you over supplement. In relation to the edema from stress or trauma I do not know. But with over supplementation absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom