superworm bedding

savage1

Hey does anyone know where to buy oat bran bedding in bulk? I'm trying to get a better price than going through someone like Mulberry Farms.

Wow you really bought that from Mulberry? It's $1.69 for a huge container of it at the grocery store. Of course it was a really generic brand one. Plus the shipping would have been pretty expensive from Mulberry in California going to Virgina.

I swore off bran of any kind very early on after my first bin suffered a plague of bran mite. Its a nightmare you dont want to experience!
I find oats, as in rolled oats/breakfast oats (oat flakes) ideal and just as cheap. Much success using this as media. Just started my 4th bin from original worms.

oats.jpg

HG031064_L.jpg

just kind of wondering...
since you could get mites from bran, and you can get mites from flour, couldn't you get some type of mite from oats?

personaly, I've used both bran and oats...I just use what ever is cheap and avalable at the time when I need some.
I've never had a problem with both.
am I lucky? or is oats far better for some reason, so they don't get mites...???

Harry

just kind of wondering...
since you could get mites from bran, and you can get mites from flour, couldn't you get some type of mite from oats?

Not yet in around 60 bags! No idea why, prepearation pre packaging perhaps. *shrugs*
Im happy so long as there no mites! :)

You can get mites with oats just as easily with bran. It usually means you've let it get damp. Keep it clean and dry, and you'll have no mites. Its not hard to "sterilize" bran/grain (by microwaving it or placing it in a subzero freezer for several days)

You can get mites with oats just as easily with bran. It usually means you've let it get damp. Keep it clean and dry, and you'll have no mites.

Their eggs would have to be present in it to begin with though. Dampness alone wont make them appear from the blue, but you will get mould, so drier is better.
You know what they say about first impressions...I just dont trust bran anymore.
Mites are a nightmare!
What was most disgusting was the bran I used was meant for human consumption! Yuck!
Incidently, I was in winter and heating the media, which is what I beleive caused the mites in the bran to hatch. I kept it very dry. The moisture from the carrot was probly enough to make them hatch. I still feel itchy to think about it!.
:)

i got a friend that keeps his in high quality bird pellet(the small stuff) and throw the veggies right on top. changes the vegies every or every other day and he has never had those problems. i just buy my worms off him as he has good price

Back
Top Bottom