Sun beetle

Pickle-cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Think Charlotte would rather keep it as a pet the pachnoda grub that has emerged from its mud ball & is boldly scooting around her enclosure.
Just wandering if they still capable of the nasty bite the larvae can inflict. I don't want it hurting her if she changes her mind & chomps it, or chewing through the mesh. From what I've read off previous posts they aren't toxic which is a relief. PXL_20210630_144816054.jpg PXL_20210629_190058674.jpg

Well in regards to beetles they did finally legalize most species of goliathus beetles for import into the US, not sure how you cham keepers feel about raising your food for several years before use however. :p

Assuming you be daft enough to feed one off in the first place. :D

@jamest0o0 May/June beetles(Phyllophaga sp) maybe a future cham food candidate. I'm surprised more people haven't tried working with these species, given their short life cycle and prolific nature

Last edited:
Well in regards to beetles they did finally legalize most species of goliathus beetles for import into the US, not sure how you cham keepers feel about raising your food for several years before use however. :p

Assuming you be daft enough to feed one off in the first place. :D

@jamest0o0 May/June beetles(Phyllophaga sp) maybe a future cham food candidate. I'm surprised more people haven't tried working with these species, given their short life cycle and prolific nature
I just caught a bunch in a cup today. Was thinking the same, but I've never tried to breed them. I'd really like to get katydids or a green grasshopper species going. Chams love stinkbugs too IME.

Yup, and I had that issue with our katydids too. Got mine to hatch after a long diapause, but the nymphs seemed to struggle to grow. They took way too long to become adults. Guessing something lacking in their diet...

Katydids are sometimes predatory depending on species, something to consider trying would be more protein via supplements or live prey. I've seen a few actively hunt soft bodied inverts.

A lot of our native animals don't really seem to lend themselves well to being used for anything outside of dedicated pets and or rare treats.

Katydids are sometimes predatory depending on species, something to consider trying would be more protein via supplements or live prey. I've seen a few actively hunt soft bodied inverts.

A lot of our native animals don't really seem to lend themselves well to being used for anything outside of dedicated pets and or rare treats.
Good idea. I had that suspicion that I may have not offered enough protein. They loved greens, but they also devoured my higher protein gutload mixes. I think in the wild they consume a lot of seeds too. Kind of like with snails, they eat a lot of greens, but eating dead things/protein is where they really get their growth.

Back
Top Bottom