Suggestions on how often to mist

ChameleonClem

Established Member
I have an automatic mister system, im unsure how to schedule ill include a photo, but im unsure of how often it should spray? How many hours before it sprays again?

Attachments

• BC4B1CE3-A720-444D-B476-C0856EA6E14F.png
    BC4B1CE3-A720-444D-B476-C0856EA6E14F.png
    429 KB · Views: 26
  • 085FB0AF-2593-4B74-8A29-985DE7C32688.png
    085FB0AF-2593-4B74-8A29-985DE7C32688.png
    452.5 KB · Views: 29
It's going to depend largely on your ambient humidity, location geographically etc., but generally I go for the naturalistic hydration method over on Chameleon Academy: https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-hydration-for-chameleons/

For me that means I mist only when the lights are out and let the cage dry out during the day, offering a dripper on some days. This is all going to depend on your cham's hydration and how their urates are looking. I've never seen my current panther drink and his urates are always looking hydrated, which is a good sign.

Its down to two uses:

Use one is to keep humidity up, either during the day or at night. These mistings are normally only 30-60 seconds. You time it so that the cage dries out between mistings so you dont get mold. These mistings are not for cham drinking.

The second use is for "rain" to get the cham to drink. These are several minutes long, and its to stimulate the cham to drink for those that only drink rain and wont drink off leaves. these are only a few times during the day. And like the previous use, you need to have the cage dry out between mistings.

I have mine setup for a early AM 5min rain(its my alarm clock), another at noon, and i final one around cham bed time(1-2 hours before lights out). I will then adjust the short mistings just to maintain humidity, and it changes through out the year.

Back
Top Bottom