Substrate Cleaning

matty0470

I have large cedar chips at the bottom of my cage just a really light coating to add some color, i clean the feces every 12 hours light on and lights off, however ive been cleaning them out every week, I seen they have a cleaner you just spray on and it kills the bacteria, does anyone use this or anyone have anyother suggestions ?

Most don't recommend substrate. Cedar has some interesting properties. I'm pretty sure it isn't poisonous, but it does deter bugs. I figure its the smell which may bother your cham. If they are big chunks though you shouldn't have to worry about your cham eating it. You may run into mold issues down the road though.

Most woods have enzymes that kill bacteria or at least some, so there is a plus there. I would say get rid of it though. :)

Also if you dont cup feed crickets love to hide in the substrate, then you have no idea if your cham is eating them or they're just sitting at the bottom of the cage.

Cedar scares me. If you are bothered by the look of the floor, you can pick up some aquarium background material at most pet stores. It's plastic so just wipes clean and definitely helps with the look of the enclosure (there are some that are pictures of rocks).

thanks guys

Im taking the substrate out, as a precaution, Im working on my own cage now 30x30x48 and im actually thinking of putting the flooring as the nature stone. But I do appreciate the advice.

Well...

Im taking the substrate out, as a precaution, Im working on my own cage now 30x30x48 and im actually thinking of putting the flooring as the nature stone. But I do appreciate the advice.

As others have mentioned subtrate is not recommended... the floor should be left bare as subtrate is abreeding ground for bacteria... and I would not risk spraying anything in my Chams enclosure that "claims" to kill bacteria...

If you leave the bottom bare and the bottom is made of PVC sheeting or some other type of "flooring" that can be left bare & easily cleaned you should be fine.... I would not select something that has deep groves or places where dirt and moisture can lay and fester bacteria... if you do select a "stone type" flooring be sure it is relatively smoothe for cleaning purposes...

Glad to hear you are removing the subtrate.... :D

Back
Top Bottom