stuck shed, one eye closed, not eating

WilliamJ5656

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled chameleon, about a year and a half old.
  • Handling - rarely, but he is okay with it if we do.
  • Feeding - crickets every other day, with superworms once or twice a week. We gutload with carrots and lettuce. We also occasionally give him dubias and hornworms.
  • Supplements - We dust with Repashy once or twice a week.
  • Watering - We use a Mist King solo with sprays for 2 minutes every two hours, and i see him drink every day.
  • Fecal Description - No, he has never been tested for parasites but his poop is a brown/black color with no bits from his food. His urate is white.
  • History - We bought him at LLL Reptile as a baby, and we have never had issues with him before this. Also, there are no vets near and we can not afford one either.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med reptibreeze 24x24x48 screen
  • Lighting - Zoo Med tropical uvb and heat lighting kit. 7:30am-7:30 pm. He has a Exo Terra Tropical UVB 100 Reptile Lamp, and usually a 60w tropical heating bulb. However, the bulb broke and we are substituting with a halogen nano bulb, which maintains the same temperatures and does the job. We are fixing this soon.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is ~90 degrees, lowest point is ~70 degrees. I use a digital probe.
  • Humidity - His humidity stays between 40-50 percent, which is maintained by being misted. I use the same digital probe.
  • Plants - I have in the past, but not as of now. He uses fake leaves and branches.
  • Placement - It is across the room from my window, with no fans nearby.
  • Location - We are located in the suburbs of southern california.

Current Problem - About a month ago he began to shed, which worked for most of his body. He has some left on his tail, neck, shoulder, and casque (see picture), which has not seemed to bother him until now. I have been showering him inside his tank with warm water to help, but it is still stuck. I also tried the Zoo Med shedding aid, which also did not help. It has been about a week since i last saw him eat. He will not take from tongs or on a feeding platform. He was raised eating free range inside his tank. Superworms are his favorite, but he will not accept those. He shows interest when i first put them in, but he does not take them. His colors are fine, he is only dark when he is basking like in the pictures. While basking, he closes his right eye and rests his head, but his left eye stays open and scanning. When he sees me, he opens his right eye. It also looks slightly shrunken, but it is hard for me to tell. I have seen him cleaning it while I'm showering him, but he still keeps it closed. Finally, he very occasionally hangs one of his arms while basking, which i read might be a problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I am still fairly new to reptile keeping.

Attachments

• IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 80
Hi. There’s several things that you need to correct. Not sure all have to do with his stuck she’d and appetite, but they most likely contribute to it.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled chameleon, about a year and a half old.
  • Handling - rarely, but he is okay with it if we do.
  • Feeding - crickets every other day, with superworms once or twice a week. We gutload with carrots and lettuce. We also occasionally give him dubias and hornworms. You need to add more to your gutload and get rid of the lettuce. Will attach gutloading info graphic for you.
  • Supplements - We dust with Repashy once or twice a week. Which type of Repashy?
  • Watering - We use a Mist King solo with sprays for 2 minutes every two hours, and i see him drink every day. That is quite frequent. Usually misting for about 2 mins in the morning and evening and maybe a shorter 1 minute mist mid day is all that’s needed. You could always add a dripper too.
  • Fecal Description - No, he has never been tested for parasites but his poop is a brown/black color with no bits from his food. His urate is white. It’s always a good idea to get a fecal done to check for parasites.
  • History - We bought him at LLL Reptile as a baby, and we have never had issues with him before this. Also, there are no vets near and we can not afford one either.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med reptibreeze 24x24x48 screen
  • Lighting - Zoo Med tropical uvb and heat lighting kit. 7:30am-7:30 pm. He has a Exo Terra Tropical UVB 100 Reptile Lamp, and usually a 60w tropical heating bulb. However, the bulb broke and we are substituting with a halogen nano bulb, which maintains the same temperatures and does the job. We are fixing this soon. You need a linear T5 with a 5% bulb for proper uvb. Reptisun has one that includes the bulb for around $55-60.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is ~90 degrees, lowest point is ~70 degrees. I use a digital probe.
  • Humidity - His humidity stays between 40-50 percent, which is maintained by being misted. I use the same digital probe. Ideal humidity is between 30-50%.
  • Plants - I have in the past, but not as of now. He uses fake leaves and branches. Adding real plants will help maintain humidity and so much more. Veileds tend to nibble their plants and can get impacted if they eat a fake leaf. Pothos is my favorite. Other safe plants are weeping fig, schefflera, dracaena, wandering Jew and philodendron.
  • Placement - It is across the room from my window, with no fans nearby.
  • Location - We are located in the suburbs of southern california.

Current Problem - About a month ago he began to shed, which worked for most of his body. He has some left on his tail, neck, shoulder, and casque (see picture), which has not seemed to bother him until now. I have been showering him inside his tank with warm water to help, but it is still stuck. I also tried the Zoo Med shedding aid, which also did not help. Chameleons are dry shedders. Showering him or using a shedding aid can actually cause the shed to adhere more to him. It has been about a week since i last saw him eat. He will not take from tongs or on a feeding platform. He was raised eating free range inside his tank. Superworms are his favorite, but he will not accept those. He shows interest when i first put them in, but he does not take them. His colors are fine, he is only dark when he is basking like in the pictures. While basking, he closes his right eye and rests his head, but his left eye stays open and scanning. When he sees me, he opens his right eye. It also looks slightly shrunken, but it is hard for me to tell. I have seen him cleaning it while I'm showering him, but he still keeps it closed. Finally, he very occasionally hangs one of his arms while basking, which i read might be a problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I am still fairly new to reptile keeping. I‘ll have to summon someone else who may be able to help with this. You hoo! @kinyonga @jamest0o0 @Lennoncham

Hi! Thank you for your input! I bought him the light you suggested and I am looking for a plant. Earlier today I saw him eat a single cricket, but did not take the other crickets. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom