Stubborn male nosy be

CentralPeark

Got him a few days ago with his enclosure included, he's 8 months old, the previous owner wiped his hands clean of him because of all the aggression including hissing, biting, lunging, constantly dark (looks like if Satan had a chameleon tbh) and apparently has been like this since about 4-5 months. I took him home and set him in a high place about 5 days ago now.

He's not drinking, although he's not showing signs of dehydration, his glass with water is always full to the brim. Completely uninterested in his food (dubias and crickets)

He did poop yesterday and it was solid, but it was covered in a thick coat of what I can only describe as goo.

This is the first time I've had a cham this difficult, Hes in a 60Lx45Wx60H glass habitat with wallpaper so as to not stress him before you grill me.

Plenty of ventilation as there is a whole screen mesh top.

Heating is a standard 60w incandescent non frosted and lighting is a 6.0 terra exotica T8.

He has plenty of places to find shade and a good temp gradient.

He's extremely defensive/aggressive, got him more than a week ago off a friend who had him since a hatchling but he just couldn't deal with all the biting/hissing anymore. He's bitten me a couple of times and Idc who says it doesn't hurt, when an extremely angry male bites you full force and latches on, that shit hurts, bad.

He's in a puffed and gaping state constantly, he looks so scared that I only enter the cage when absolutely necessary just so I don't give him a little cham heart attack.

He goes so far as to headbutt and bite at the glass before I open to mist, hes the most nervous/aggressive/defensive specimen I have ever worked with, and its way over the top

I have never dealt with anything like this before, any help guiding me to help this guy with his nerves/defensiveness?

Any ideas on how to tame him down to look calm during the day he's extremely black during the day and I hate to see him so stressed all the time.

Hello,

Sorry to hear you're having these issues with your Cham.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Copy and paste with your answers.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

A male nosy be panther chameleon of about 8 months old, the previous owner said he had success with crickets and dubia roaches, so that's what I've been offering.

The previous owner misted his enclosure once in the morning and once at night, but I don't think this is sufficient so I opted for a drinking glass at the bottom of his enclosure, although I still mist at night.

His enclosure is a glass habistat measuring 60Lx45Wx60H with a screen mesh top.

He has pooped once about 3 days ago and was solid, but was covered in a thick slime coat.

I know the enclosure may not be suitable but the previous owner was moving country and had to get rid of him quickly, I have previous experience with reptiles so he thought I'd give him the best care instead of just putting up online for anyone to take.

His heating is a 60w incandescent non frosted bulb and his uvb is a 6.0 T8 sunray by terra exotica.

I'm just worried by his constant dark patterning and lack of interest in both eating and drinking, as well as extreme aggression including hissing, biting, lunging.

Got him a few days ago with his enclosure included, he's 8 months old, the previous owner wiped his hands clean of him because of all the aggression including hissing, biting, lunging, constantly dark (looks like if Satan had a chameleon tbh) and apparently has been like this since about 4-5 months. I took him home and set him in a high place about 5 days ago now.

He's not drinking, although he's not showing signs of dehydration, his glass with water is always full to the brim. Completely uninterested in his food (dubias and crickets)

He did poop yesterday and it was solid, but it was covered in a thick coat of what I can only describe as goo.

This is the first time I've had a cham this difficult, Hes in a 60Lx45Wx60H glass habitat with wallpaper so as to not stress him before you grill me.

Plenty of ventilation as there is a whole screen mesh top.

Heating is a standard 60w incandescent non frosted and lighting is a 6.0 terra exotica T8.

He has plenty of places to find shade and a good temp gradient.

He's extremely defensive/aggressive, got him more than a week ago off a friend who had him since a hatchling but he just couldn't deal with all the biting/hissing anymore. He's bitten me a couple of times and Idc who says it doesn't hurt, when an extremely angry male bites you full force and latches on, that shit hurts, bad.

He's in a puffed and gaping state constantly, he looks so scared that I only enter the cage when absolutely necessary just so I don't give him a little cham heart attack.

He goes so far as to headbutt and bite at the glass before I open to mist, hes the most nervous/aggressive/defensive specimen I have ever worked with, and its way over the top

I have never dealt with anything like this before, any help guiding me to help this guy with his nerves/defensiveness?

Any ideas on how to tame him down to look calm during the day he's extremely black during the day and I hate to see him so stressed all the time.
I had one like that his name is Bam. Took about 6 months of every other day of little hands on. Not picking up but just put hand close to him. Only did this when he was lower in cage. High up he was the more attitude he had. Only bit me two times mainly head butting. But taking him outside every other day and offering hand seemed to work. Now he walks up on own when I offer hand no bites or head butts. Still won't hand feed but that's fine with me. Think he had so much attitude cause he was 6 months when I got him. He will still hiss if I move my hand to fast but after that he walks up on hand. So I guess what I'm saying is take your time with him. Try not to push him to fast. He should come around with some time. Also keep your fingers tucked like a flat fist. That keeps bites to minimum just head butts

A male nosy be panther chameleon of about 8 months old, the previous owner said he had success with crickets and dubia roaches, so that's what I've been offering.

The previous owner misted his enclosure once in the morning and once at night, but I don't think this is sufficient so I opted for a drinking glass at the bottom of his enclosure, although I still mist at night.

His enclosure is a glass habistat measuring 60Lx45Wx60H with a screen mesh top.

He has pooped once about 3 days ago and was solid, but was covered in a thick slime coat.

I know the enclosure may not be suitable but the previous owner was moving country and had to get rid of him quickly, I have previous experience with reptiles so he thought I'd give him the best care instead of just putting up online for anyone to take.

His heating is a 60w incandescent non frosted bulb and his uvb is a 6.0 T8 sunray by terra exotica.

I'm just worried by his constant dark patterning and lack of interest in both eating and drinking, as well as extreme aggression including hissing, biting, lunging.
I would do away with drinking glass. Misting in morning and before lights all you need. If show signs of dehydration you can add dripper mid day for 30 40 mins. I don't mist or drip mid day.
We need to know temps day and night humidity levels types of supplements you use and when u use them. A 📸 of whole cage is helpful so pics of whole cage from light to the bottom. Is his basking aera higher then or equally to your head. They are more comfortable when they are higher then your head. Gives them a since of security

Back
Top Bottom