Stressed??

hun73r

This is my first post and my second chameleon. I had a veiled chameleon about 10 years ago and now I have an Ambanja Panther and I am wondering if he my be stressed for some reason as he is always displaying dark colors as seen in the picture:

IMG_5322.jpg

He will turn very light white and green when sleeping but most of the time he is a variation of the brownish color. I apologize for the pic quality but I am still waiting on a macro lens to be delivered.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Male Panther chameleon that is 5 months old and in my care for about 10 days now

* Handling - I have only handled him to place him in the cage and make some plant adjustments

* Feeding - Crickets, Dubia Roaches, and the occasional meal worm.10-20 per day on crics and roaches. 4 to 5 meal worms as a treat (only once) I feed him about 10 in the morning around 9am and then an additional 10 around 6pm. I use cricket crack (pre-made gutload) and fresh oranges,apples,etc (no spinach or broccoli).

* Supplements - Rep-cal Calcium with D3 every other day and Rep-cal Herptivite 2X per week

* Watering - MistKing automatic mister. I mist for about 25 seconds 3-4 times per day. I do not see him drinking often but his urates are white.

* Fecal Description - Nicely shaped pellets and he usually produces 6-8 per week so far. Urates are white in color.

* History - Came to me from Screameleons and bumped his eye during shipping but has returned to normal operation after last shed (2 days ago). I guess it was like a black eye and a little sore. It never stopped him from eating so I do not think it was an issue.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screen Enclosure with 18X12X20 measurements

* Lighting - 18" Reptisun 5.0 and a 60Watt Daylight basking light

* Temperature - Basking temp is 85 degrees and daytime temps are around 77 degrees ambient with a drop of about 4 degrees at night.

* Humidity - Humidity hovers around 58% and increased to 65% after misting and is measured by an analog hygrometer.

* Plants - In his small enclosure he has a small pothos plant the rest are artificial.

* Placement - Cage is located in my home office an the top of the cage is approximately 48inches from the floor. It is not near any vents/fans/drafts.

* Location - Central Texas

Current Problem - Gizmo seems to always be dark in coloration and I am wondering if this is normal behavior.

Are you sure it's really a boy?? :eek:

Also, you probably want to cut back on the D3...you should only be giving D3 around twice a month.

Sex and Calcium

I will get some calcium without D3 and do that. How many times per week is suggested?

I was told male and that is what I paid for so I hope that is what he is. Gizmo is not as good of a name for a female and I really do not want to look for the egg hassles at this point.

Here is a pic of the base of his tail:
IMG_5323.jpg

I have a larger enclosure that I am working on currently (planting and such) for when he gets bigger but I am afraid it will swallow him now (24x24x48). I estimate him at about 4 inches snout to vent currently. The measurements may not have come across correctly on the original posting it 20" high x 12" deep X 18" wide. It is the Zilla Screen Habitat small size that I also received from Screameleons.

Do these new pictures shed any light on the sex? I am pretty sure it is a male but now you have me thinking.

the bars and the horizontal white stripe are his stress colors. He's probably just dark to keep warm. My 5 month old Ambilobe stays very near that pattern that you show, without the white stripe. he only shows his stripe and full bars when stressed (scared).

my little cham(4 months) stays a fairly dark colour too quite often but has a really nice shade when he's asleep.

Can't shed any light on the stress colours though as i am no expert but my little one isn't as dark as yours.

I think I see a bulge in a few of the pictures so that leans towards male lol

Thanks camshaft. I am hoping that the brown without the bars and stripe are his "happy" colors for his age as well. When he gets really mad (like when I try to offer him food from my hand" he gets little red dots everywhere. I just want to make sure he has the best possible environment and that all is well.

Well since he is only 4 months old and very small I would hope it is not a gravid female. I know it is hard to determine size from the pictures but I went back and looked through old emails and on March 23rd he was approximately 3 months old so he may not even be 4 months yet.

Its a male. From what I have seen in pics around the forum are that Ambanjas seem to take a little longer to start coloring up as say an Ambilobe. Definite package on him, just give him some time:)

Well since he is only 4 months old and very small I would hope it is not a gravid female. I know it is hard to determine size from the pictures but I went back and looked through old emails and on March 23rd he was approximately 3 months old so he may not even be 4 months yet.

Yes, I decided to change my post because I knew it was ridiculous lol (hoping no one saw it before I could change it)
I only meant the colours reminded me of it but I do think it's a male

maybe its just that he's still adjusting? my quad was stressed looking for a while sometimes, and I almost started to worry. After 2 or 3 weeks, though, he was happy. My planning wasn't so great, so i had to change a couple things in the cage, once everything was left alone he started acclimating pretty quickly and it was easy to tell he was much more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom