Stress during daytime

noahrofsky7

Established Member
Hello,

I recently purchased a wyze cam to see what my chameleon does during the day.
I already caught her eating bright and early from the feeder run.
8B083286-21CE-45CD-A082-395881378052.jpeg

Currently though, she is displaying colors of stress/discomfort. I made a previous post worried she had her eyes closed during the day, which she does not,

9F8438EE-62A6-4B9D-B2E5-1CBA53544200.jpeg

I use t5 linear uvb light, and 60 watt basking bulb, so that shouldn’t be the issue. Correct supplements and feeders are used as well.

Currently though, she is displaying colors of stress/discomfort.
I use t5 linear uvb light, and 60 watt basking bulb, so that shouldn’t be the issue. Correct supplements and feeders are used as well.
Can you be a little more specific on these points?
  1. What colors/display of stress/discomfort
  2. What strength T5? Length? Distance between bulb & basking site?
  3. What kind of basking bulb? Incandescent, halogen, LED, spot, flood?
In that picture she looks like she’s trying to absorb heat, that’s why she’s dark and basking.
That could be. I don't see any instrumentation (thermometer probe) near the basking site.

Can you post a pic of the full enclosure from lights down
+1. I'd also like it to include the bottom and/or drainage.

That could be. I don't see any instrumentation (thermometer probe) near the basking site.

Just dark colors, showing striping. I use t5HO 24 inch and it’s roughly 8 inches away. Incandescent 60w basking bulb also same length away from basking branch. I use a temp gun. Basking spot is never over 85F, ambient temps are 70-75.
Normal house humidity 30%-40%RH during the day with spikes from misting system, and 80%+RH nights
I don’t have pictures of the bottom of the enclosure and can’t take them currently, but I use the dragonstrand drainage tray made for a 2x2x4 reptibreeze.

Just dark colors, showing striping.
OK, ICBW, but I'm not sure that's stress/discomfort other than seeking warmth as Lindasjackson noted. Mine (panther) goes dark when "on patrol".

I use t5HO 24 inch and it’s roughly 8 inches away.
5.0, 10.0, 6%, 12%? is what I was looking for. Sorry.

Incandescent 60w basking bulb also same length away from basking branch. I use a temp gun. Basking spot is never over 85F, ambient temps are 70-75.
There is an issue with using a temp gun exclusively.
Emissivity and Its Effect on Infrared Thermometer Readings

See also:
How to get great results with an infrared thermometer

IOW, your temp gun may be reading the temp of the branch, while the air around it is several degrees cooler.

Weird, but what we're really trying to measure is the temperature 2-3 inches above the basking site (where the chameleons back will be to absorb the heat). The best way I know of to monitor that (and humidity at the same time) are combination digital thermometers/hygrometers with probes. The units stay outside where they won't be affected by misting, while the probe is placed on top of the basking site (zip-ties work great).

Normal house humidity 30%-40%RH during the day with spikes from misting system, and 80%+RH nights
I don’t have pictures of the bottom of the enclosure and can’t take them currently, but I use the dragonstrand drainage tray made for a 2x2x4 reptibreeze.
(y)

OK, ICBW, but I'm not sure that's stress/discomfort other than seeking warmth as Lindasjackson noted. Mine (panther) goes dark when "on patrol".

See also:

IOW, your temp gun may be reading the temp of the branch, while the air around it is several degrees cooler.

Weird, but what we're really trying to measure is the temperature 2-3 inches above the basking site (where the chameleons back will be to absorb the heat). The best way I know of to monitor that (and humidity at the same time) are combination digital thermometers/hygrometers with probes. The units stay outside where they won't be affected by misting, while the probe is placed on top of the basking site (zip-ties work great).

(y)
Oh, sorry it is a 5.0 I believe not 100%. Got a bad memory lol. But it is the right kind, I was directed away from the small bulb and told to get the linear one.
Thanks!

Oh, sorry it is a 5.0 I believe not 100%. Got a bad memory lol. But it is the right kind, I was directed away from the small bulb and told to get the linear one.
Thanks!
Yes, definitely the linear—no question. The strength (5.0/10.0) can affect the distance. It's not a killer thing—easily adjusted for by changing the distance, but your distance sounds OK for a 5.0/6%.

See also:

(y)
Oh, sorry it is a 5.0

Back
Top Bottom