Steam cleaning

Norbert

Established Member
Hi all! I my boyfriend just bought a steam cleaner for cleaning tiles but I see that some people use steam cleaning for their chameleon enclosures. I was wondering how I would go about doing the same with Norbert’s enclosure.

Do those of you that steam do it once weekly and just use the steam or do you also still disinfect with other cleaners first then steam after? And if I steam the whole enclosure do I still need to take everything out and put it back in after or can I steam stuff while it’s all in there?

Sorry I’m probably over complicating it haha I’ve never owned a steamer before but, after seeing what it did for tiles and grout I want to steam everything! 🤣 Just want to make sure I do it correctly when I use it for my chameleon’s home 💚

Hi I know what you mean about wanting to steam everything lol. Anyway I don't use chemicals on/in my girls enclosure only the steamer. I only steam cleaned what needed . And any plants with poop I just take them outside and hosed them .

Steam blow "stuff" off that would normally not come off with just "water hose". It an alternative to using chemicals to remove "stuff". Its not for sanitizing etc.

So if you want to blow "stuff" off of one thing and then onto another, feel free to steam everything while it in the cage.

Jokes aside, i am weird that i hose down everything with a hot salt water mix afterwards to keep the mold down. Any spots that get misted will be rinsed for drinking, and it would look horrible on a glass sided tank. But it brings me great joy to watch the beardies taste test most of the enclosure.

Head scratch are you saying that steam cleaning doesn't sanitize?

"only non porous surfaces"

aka the kitchen countertop or bathroom sink.

Else to sanitize without a fancy one that you can add sanitizer too, requires "at least three minutes of sustained contact at a temperature between 175 and 212 degrees Fahrenheit."

And the final note, you may be able to sanitize porous surfaces if you have one of the very expensive nuclear 275-350f ones that put out a very dry steam. But again most of the time you get a steamer to "clean" porous stuff with just "very hot water" vs chemicals that it could absorb.

Last edited:
Hmmm, this is an interesting discussion. I can’t see a steamer doing much in a chams cage unless you take everything out, then you can steam the bottom to sanitize it but I don’t know if it could sanitize the screen or the branches etc.

Steam blow "stuff" off that would normally not come off with just "water hose". It an alternative to using chemicals to remove "stuff". Its not for sanitizing etc.

So if you want to blow "stuff" off of one thing and then onto another, feel free to steam everything while it in the cage.

Jokes aside, i am weird that i hose down everything with a hot salt water mix afterwards to keep the mold down. Any spots that get misted will be rinsed for drinking, and it would look horrible on a glass sided tank. But it brings me great joy to watch the beardies taste test most of the enclosure.
I did my usual routine taking out all my plants
"only non porous surfaces"

aka the kitchen countertop or bathroom sink.

Else to sanitize without a fancy one that you can add sanitizer too, requires "at least three minutes of sustained contact at a temperature between 175 and 212 degrees Fahrenheit."

And the final note, you may be able to sanitize porous surfaces if you have one of the very expensive nuclear 275-350f ones that put out a very dry steam. But again most of the time you get a steamer to "clean" porous stuff with just "very hot water" vs chemicals that it could absorb.
Oh I thought the temperature was hot enough to sanitize not just blow, good to know! I ended up still taking out all my plants and left my branches up and sanitized the enclosure with alcohol let air dry then went over it with the steamer and wiped up after. Still washed my plants as usual.

So in summary a steamer is not really effective at sanitizing your cage, and branches, you would still need to use a disinfectant? I ask because I was about to buy a steamer that would sanitize my cage

I use that steamer to clean my shower, it's very powerful. I wouldn't use it for an enclosure because it'll make a big mess. I also don't think it's necessary (most people do just fine without any disinfecting at all)

Back
Top Bottom