Spring babies

Turningdoc

I hope. I don't think many (or any) in the US have had live born to relay much experience with raising Bradypodian newborn. With much hope, I would like to hear from Europe or those here(if there is anybody) any advice on getting them going just in case. It would be mind boggling if it happened and crushing if I failed.

Which species do you have?

It is very important to wait until females are of breeding size of course, but especially with bradypodion. Females of thamnobates and pumilum typically reach breeding size by a year old, but transvaalense are the slowest growers. They may take much longer then the latter.

As far as raising babies, you want to keep them outside as much as possible. One breeder we heard from only supplements babies, and gravid females but mostly relies on gutloading.

But outside time is imperative to keeping, raising, and breeding of bradypodion. Ill have to look over my e mails for anything else.

Alex

Thx Alex. I have pair each of pumilum and transvaals. They are outside 24/7 in south Florida. Now about 6 Mon old and looking great. I keep each pair together and they seem to love it that way, thus my question. When spring is in the air, spring will be in the air!
Dave

Alex is correct. Also, turningdoc, you have the best chance of all of us with BradypodiOn because you can keep yours outside year round which they almost need. They seem to need the intense light of the sun and the cycles of the seasons. I know for a fact that pumilum and thamnobates go through a winter dormant period in nature where they will stay on one branch the entire time or not much activity at all. I get this info from an expert who has studied them in the wild, and keeps and breeds them in the UK.
If you let the females be bred before they are of adequate size, there can be complications. They may die, or may just give birth to duds or a very small clutch. From what he tells me, he keeps all of his animals separate, and he has about 50 Bradypodion! This goes against what I was told by a different, somewhat less successful breeder that told me to always keep them in pairs so that the females are already used to the males and wont be as aggressive towards them when mating may occur. I assume both methods can and do work, but I am going to have to side with keeping them separate for the most part due to the fact that I dont want them bred before they are close to or full grown. There is alot less risk that way.
If I were you, turningdoc, and its just my opinion, I would make their cages with ALOT more branches and foliage, they are looking pretty sparse.

Will add more. I do like to be able to find them every once in awhile. (Can you ever have enough?) I am guessing humidity is a key overlooked factor as well. This is why I got these species as I think I may live where it's very close to their native environment. I try to keep all species from fairly south in Africa w mod to high humidity. I also have blue flapnecks and a pair Ambanja blue bars (yes, I know their not South African lol). I think as fair as keeping seperate or together, it doesn't necessarily matter, BUT only if you can double or triple your cage sizes to reduce stress.

I keep SA Bradypodions in pairs/trios whole time (just I combine them together when female is big, one year old or so, it is not good let them copulate in very young age), with low humidity now - 30-40%. They are inside - will go out/in immediately when temperature will stay above 15°C during day, when it will stay above 5°C during nigth they will stay there 24/7.
Outside, outside, outside, sun and meadowplankton. Just one note - not every male and female fit together.

Here is "today prey" from Nottingham road, 6th birth of female, 19 pieces (I found more later and still believe there is 20th hidden :) )

25Feb2013.jpg

I can take some picture later but my terrariums are not decorative. It is standard Flexarium, 2 ficus plants, some twigs - nothing special. At present time all are in garage because this is only unheated room in my house. Today was first "spring day" here, even outside about 8°C and highest temperature this year. I believe female "delivers" birth when she thinks is correct time. Sadly in summer my Bradys are consitently using heavy rains so twice whole birth drowned (half inch water on bottom is enough). I am very careful about it now. By birth in winter females are waiting at "good weather". Today was here sunny day and inside temperature rised at 17°C, during previous 2-3 months it never was over 15°C in cage (I have min max there). Todays mother looked like she will explode 3 months but she was just patiently waiting on first spring day. She cares, she is good winter mother :D In summer when are rains she is hurry too much and can give premature birth when just few most developed babies stay alive.

Thx bifidus. Do the newborns take flies right away? Can you give us any supportive care info on how you take care of the very young?

I usually prepare older melanogaster cultures where the flies are smaller. Except this I have in breeding room "fungus gnat", wild population living in beetle and cocroach substrate and eating dead insect. Here are females larger than hydei but males mini. They will be attracted inside and this time they will get what they deserve. Honestly I believe that for thamnobates or tranvaalense it is not necessary, they will take males hydei or funebris right away, by setaroi it can be problem because are smaller but in fact do not know if they must have melanogaster or not. I have all youngs in one glass terrarium (top and back tight screen) for first 1-2 months. There is always drosophila bottle open so continuous suplly and it attracts fungus gnat as well. I need just be very carefull by spraying (once daily). Later I put them in the Flexarium (lot of plants and twigs) and I am putting them outside as soon as weather allows it. After 3-4 months when I can see the sex I split males/females and start exchange-sale them. What drops that drops already in glass terrarium, after that (when they are outside) they are though. They are not difficult although some experience it needs. My damaranum breeding crashed, I need try it again, this is not so easy species. Pumilum I din't had until now.

Newborn from yesterday are eating today nicely although not so much until now. Btw, I found one another in parent enclosure and so rounded count to demanded 20 :) It is largest number that I have had until now.

Back
Top Bottom