spike shedding????

Chamster

do chameleons shed the spikes on their backs? my guy is loosing his spikes because hes scratching his back like a dog....exactly like a dog scratching the flees off...is it natural or should i be worried???

he stopped eating since he started doing it..... scratching like a dog literally.

any thoughts are massively appreciated.

here are some pics of his back.....i hope its nothing serious.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 322
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 230
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 306
I can't be certain of your exact situation. However, I have noticed many of my chameleons will start shedding at the spikes. At times it has even looked like a spike is missing. They scratch and rub to get the skin off in many circumstances also. Therefore, this is probably a normal thing you are experiencing.

I agree shedding at the skin is normal even in the spike area, but it looks like he is actually missing the spikes! Doesn't look good to me...

I completely agree with the "get to a vet" advice...."scratching like a dog" is really weird. I sort of have to wonder if there's a parasite of some sort. Or, it could be a burn...burns itch as we all probably know.

Ya but it's only on the line of spikes and nothing on his skin. A burn would it's everywhere on his back but this is only on the spikes.

Ya but it's only on the line of spikes and nothing on his skin. A burn would it's everywhere on his back but this is only on the spikes.
So what you are saying is a burn just happens all at once with no warning whatsoever?
I have a chameleon that I rescued that had burns only on its spikes (save a small bit on the casque, but yours is a panther mine is a veiled),
so if you are stuck on believing that it goes all over it's body I can take pictures for you if you'd like.

If you come and ask for help and you argue with people who may very well be right, what makes you think they will want to help you in the future?
Just remember, you came asking for help, we didn't come asking for questions. ;)

Back
Top Bottom