Someone’s got a dirty face

Kaizen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Sorry I haven’t been that active lately...it’s finally snowing here. Anyways, here’s Agatha with a telling visage:

Attachments

• 6F052CA1-F7C6-45BA-8105-544B471719FD.jpeg
    6F052CA1-F7C6-45BA-8105-544B471719FD.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 56
BTW, she layed in 3” of straight soil in the bottom of her enclosure. That’s 3 INCHES! After she was done (it only took her 30 minutes) she stretched and had a dubia snack. Hashtag low effort laying!
Hey did you see that video of a wild panther laying that Bill had posted in the FB group? It was something like 3-4 inches as well. Really makes me think that people are putting way too much substrate in.

Is this a fertile clutch?

She did have some romance time with Scar, but it was as a while ago, so I don’t know whether it’s fertile. We’ll cook ‘em and see what happens.

More importantly, YES! My experience is that the females dig all the way to the bottom, whether that’s 2” or 12”. The former is way less exhausting and is usually completed quickly and without issue. Again, Agatha did this in half an hour, and was eating and doing her thing within 10 minutes of burying the clutch.

She did have some romance time with Scar, but it was as a while ago, so I don’t know whether it’s fertile. We’ll cook ‘em and see what happens.

More importantly, YES! My experience is that the females dig all the way to the bottom, whether that’s 2” or 12”. The former is way less exhausting and is usually completed quickly and without issue. Again, Agatha did this in half an hour, and was eating and doing her thing within 10 minutes of burying the clutch.
So ... do you believe it’s acceptable to not put 8-12” of sand/soil in lay bin? I have a female 5 month old veiled and I’m setting up her large enclosure with the lay bin as a normal part - the bin is so heavy if I could eliminate some soil/sand I would love to. I have 8” currently

So ... do you believe it’s acceptable to not put 8-12” of sand/soil in lay bin? I have a female 5 month old veiled and I’m setting up her large enclosure with the lay bin as a normal part - the bin is so heavy if I could eliminate some soil/sand I would love to. I have 8” currently
My experience is that a maximum of 6” is plenty. And 4 is probably sufficient. Also, with veileds, there’s no reason to use pure sand. Try mixing it with a light peat mix, or fertilizer-free potting soil. Sand is a bit cleaner, I guess, but it’s heavy.

My experience is that a maximum of 6” is plenty. And 4 is probably sufficient. Also, with veileds, there’s no reason to use pure sand. Try mixing it with a light peat mix, or fertilizer-free potting soil. Sand is a bit cleaner, I guess, but it’s heavy.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom