Solar Meter-what is going on?

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
Works like a charm in cages giving me readings from 2-4 or more depending how close to the bulb.

But curiously when I point it to the sky (clear and cloudless here today) it is giving me a 0.1 or 0.2 reading.

How is this possible?

Also I notice that when button is pushed, the left side displays the word UVA and under that UVB. I thought it only measures UVB, if so why does it say UVA?

I actually have 2 of them and both behave the same way.

I am hoping one of our scientific minded members can explain this?

Works like a charm in cages giving me readings from 2-4 or more depending how close to the bulb.

But curiously when I point it to the sky (clear and cloudless here today) it is giving me a 0.1 or 0.2 reading.

How is this possible?

Also I notice that when button is pushed, the left side displays the word UVA and under that UVB. I thought it only measures UVB, if so why does it say UVA?

I actually have 2 of them and both behave the same way.

I am hoping one of our scientific minded members can explain this?
Which units do you have? I'm curious because I tried a couple before I eventually got my Solarmeter 6.5R and I had some wild readings as well.

That is what mine are! I guess the "R" stands for reptiles as it measures the wavelengths specific to them.

I understand you can't use 6.2 as it is only calibrated to the sun.

That is what mine are! I guess the "R" stands for reptiles as it measures the wavelengths specific to them.

I understand you can't use 6.2 as it is only calibrated to the sun.
the 6.5 and 6.5R are exactly the same unit to my understanding. It's just the 6.5R is styled to LOOK like its for reptiles. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that's accurate.

TBH I dont get consistent readings with my 6.5R either. But I do get readings, where with the cheaper amazon readers gave me pretty much nothing.

Back
Top Bottom