Soil and fogger systems.

Hickswife42

I had gotten some golden pothos from lowes and added them into my cans home, but notice he was eating the soil, will it hurt them or cause damage over time? Any reason why he is eating the dirt? And my next question is about the fogger systems, I've had my fogger for about a month or little over and it has slowly stopped producing as much fog over time, took it apart and notice there was some buildup probably from the reptisafe but has anyone had this problem? Is it necessary to add the reptisafe to the fogger system? Picture is from after I cleaned it out, and even doing that still doesn't produce as much fog as it did the first couple weeks

Attachments

• 20200405_155954.jpg
    20200405_155954.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 69
I had gotten some golden pothos from lowes and added them into my cans home, but notice he was eating the soil, will it hurt them or cause damage over time? Any reason why he is eating the dirt? And my next question is about the fogger systems, I've had my fogger for about a month or little over and it has slowly stopped producing as much fog over time, took it apart and notice there was some buildup probably from the reptisafe but has anyone had this problem? Is it necessary to add the reptisafe to the fogger system? Picture is from after I cleaned it out, and even doing that still doesn't produce as much fog as it did the first couple weeks
They should be clean weekly. Use a vinegar solution. Get rid of build up and it should be fine.

Are you using distilled or RO water for your misting or just tap water with reptisafe?
I mist about 4-5 times a day, I just use tap water with reptisafe added. Eventually when my plants are bigger I'll also have the drip system added which is already set up and ready to go then the frogger as well.

Part of the reason you have that build up is if you're using tap water with the conditioner. Tap water has a bunch of total dissolved solids in it which is what creates lime buildup (the white residue the water leaves). By adding the conditioner you're only dechlorinating that water, but not removing all the other junk that is making the ceramic disk not perform properly.

As another member said, Make sure you clean with vinegar weekly, if not more frequently. I use RO water with my fogger system and haven't had an issue. You can also used distilled water if you want. I personally found that installing an RO system underneath my sink makes it less of a PITA to have to go to the store every time I need water for my chams.

As far as the soil, I'm led to believe that chams usually eat soil when they're seeking a nutrient that is lacking in their diet. I would cover the soil with some medium river rocks so he/she wont eat the soil. Essentially make sure the rocks aren't big enough for the cham to eat, too.

Also, if you could fill out the "How to Ask For Help" questionnaire or tell us your feeding/supplementation schedule, we might be able to help resolve the soil eating issue if it's related to those two things.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Minerals and antioxidants from clay in the dirt. They love to eat dirt so avoid any mulch type of soil with bark or debris(top soil). I use fine Pete moss and red earth. I've noticed mostly males take to eating mud pie so more red earth (dirt) for them and mostly Pete mix for the females.

Foggers are great for the obvious reason of humidity I love that they are excellent drippers as well if you have a leafy branch right beneath the fog outlet to brake up the dense fog while it accumulates into droplets. My chams love there drinking stations even licking at the fog until the drops begin to form. I clean mine with hot tap water, they last for years running 3/4 hrs a day

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Piebald veils, male, 9-10 inches so 6-9 months? *not sure*, in my care since 2/26
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Been working on it with him once or twice a day.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him crickets and superworms as a treat 2 times a week. In the morning he will eat about 4 crickets dusted in cal every morning, cal w/d3 twice a week and vitamin once every 2 weeks. Then mid afternoon about another 4 crickets. Crickets will get flukes high cal diet, greens,potatoes, ect.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium with and without d3, rep-cal multivitamins. Mon-Tues without d3, Wed with d3, Thurs-Fri without d3 and so on then every 2 weeks the multivitamins
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist his home about 4-5 times a day, I also have a fogger that runs throughout the day *it actually helps keep the water on leaves better than I thought*. When I mist I usually do it for about a minutes or so, I have one of the small about from petco that I usually empty into his home each time I mist. Hermie has drank for the water dish that I have that sits at the bottom of his change to catch drips that come from the top from the fogger. *Hermies home likes to leak water out the bottom so this helps significantly for us*. He will also get it from the top of his home or from the leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? When I had first got him it was dark with a slightly yellow/orange. Once I was able to find a store that carried cal without d3 it's been dark with all white. I gotten hermies from petco so the parasites I'm not sure.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? His home is all screen with a tarp wrapped around the sides and back leaving the front and top open. The dimensions are Length is 2 1/2 feet, height 2 1/2 feet, depth is 1 1/2 feet but when hes bigger he will get upgraded.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Heat lamp is flukers I know that I will post a pic of lamp details, and the uvb is exo terra uvb100 I know the uvb is all wrong for him I was going to get him a new one but got laid off work due to virus. Lights on for 12 hours off at night I usually turn them on around 10:30 *that's when my daughter wakes up usually*
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is usually 80-90f° middle is 70-75f° and the bottom is 60-70f°. Lowest overnight temp I believe is 60f°. I honestly use my infants thermometer that can do room air ear and nose, so I just set it to room mode. I also have temp gauges inside the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? His humidity is usually 50-60 during the day. Creating mist by the fogger and misting 4-5 times a day. Use a humid gauge inside cage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Golden pothos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Our spare room. Ceiling fan, window on other side of room, no high traffic.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Western Pa.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Soil eating.

Pictures.

Attachments

• 20200405_195457.jpg
    20200405_195457.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20200405_195620.jpg
    20200405_195620.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200405_195626.jpg
    20200405_195626.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200405_195646.jpg
    20200405_195646.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200405_195659.jpg
    20200405_195659.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 100
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Piebald veils, male, 9-10 inches so 6-9 months? *not sure*, in my care since 2/26
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Been working on it with him once or twice a day.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him crickets and superworms as a treat 2 times a week. In the morning he will eat about 4 crickets dusted in cal every morning, cal w/d3 twice a week and vitamin once every 2 weeks. Then mid afternoon about another 4 crickets. Crickets will get flukes high cal diet, greens,potatoes, ect.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium with and without d3, rep-cal multivitamins. Mon-Tues without d3, Wed with d3, Thurs-Fri without d3 and so on then every 2 weeks the multivitamins
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist his home about 4-5 times a day, I also have a fogger that runs throughout the day *it actually helps keep the water on leaves better than I thought*. When I mist I usually do it for about a minutes or so, I have one of the small about from petco that I usually empty into his home each time I mist. Hermie has drank for the water dish that I have that sits at the bottom of his change to catch drips that come from the top from the fogger. *Hermies home likes to leak water out the bottom so this helps significantly for us*. He will also get it from the top of his home or from the leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? When I had first got him it was dark with a slightly yellow/orange. Once I was able to find a store that carried cal without d3 it's been dark with all white. I gotten hermies from petco so the parasites I'm not sure.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? His home is all screen with a tarp wrapped around the sides and back leaving the front and top open. The dimensions are Length is 2 1/2 feet, height 2 1/2 feet, depth is 1 1/2 feet but when hes bigger he will get upgraded.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Heat lamp is flukers I know that I will post a pic of lamp details, and the uvb is exo terra uvb100 I know the uvb is all wrong for him I was going to get him a new one but got laid off work due to virus. Lights on for 12 hours off at night I usually turn them on around 10:30 *that's when my daughter wakes up usually*
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is usually 80-90f° middle is 70-75f° and the bottom is 60-70f°. Lowest overnight temp I believe is 60f°. I honestly use my infants thermometer that can do room air ear and nose, so I just set it to room mode. I also have temp gauges inside the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? His humidity is usually 50-60 during the day. Creating mist by the fogger and misting 4-5 times a day. Use a humid gauge inside cage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Golden pothos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Our spare room. Ceiling fan, window on other side of room, no high traffic.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Western Pa.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Soil eating.

Back
Top Bottom