Soaking branches

chamnoodle

I recently got my chameleon a fake branch and a hammock to climb on and am going to soak it. I wanted to ask if bleach is ok to put in the water to let them soak? A lot of websites say to use bleach but I’m afraid if that will have any affects on my little guy or if it’s ok. Thanks!

Use dawn dish soap. It's not toxic to animals

I wouldn't go this far. I believe it's probably not a big deal and I've used it for cleaning poop and such, but the safe for animals thing was more of a marketing campaign since they donated it for cleaning birds(which I've also heard didn't do much and many of the birds died either way sadly). A reptile with sensitive lungs won't handle things the same as a larger bird/mammal.

The best thing you can do is not soak it with anything. I'd use vinegar and maybe baking soda if you must for natural branches(I just hose branches off personally, could also let them sit in the sun to uv sterilize). Those two would also do a good job of removing chemical residues leftover on anything artificial you buy.

I would also not use a hammock as their claws get stuck in them and break off. They are not made for chameleons.

I wouldn't go this far. I believe it's probably not a big deal and I've used it for cleaning poop and such, but the safe for animals thing was more of a marketing campaign since they donated it for cleaning birds(which I've also heard didn't do much and many of the birds died either way sadly). A reptile with sensitive lungs won't handle things the same as a larger bird/mammal.

The best thing you can do is not soak it with anything. I'd use vinegar and maybe baking soda if you must for natural branches(I just hose branches off personally, could also let them sit in the sun to uv sterilize). Those two would also do a good job of removing chemical residues leftover on anything artificial you buy.

I would also not use a hammock as their claws get stuck in them and break off. They are not made for chameleons.
Thanks. 👍🏻

IDK if soaking is necessary; I did that with some bricks, and it took forever to off-gas all the chlorine—even leaving them in the sun for days.

I don't consider Dawn non-toxic. IMO its safety is debatable. I'm also not sure of the safety or wisdom of a hammock with chameleons; some have posted that their claws can get caught.

For a fake branch, surface cleaning with alcohol, peroxide, or weak (10%) chlorine should suffice, but don't mix, and allow whichever enough time to off-gas completely.

Back
Top Bottom