So i was looking on this local....

clintf

I was looking on this local mustang (the car) website that has a classified section and I noticed a free veild chameleon with cage and everything.. So I looked into it some and arranged to meet up with the gentleman and take a look at the little guy. He said it was a year and a half old and that it was his sons and he had lost interest in it.. I noticed right away that he had a water bowl in the cage with him, which told me they weren't very knowledgeable about chameleons.. At first he looked fine, till I got him home and got him out and he's actually pretty skinny.. He's definitely not been fed near enough and think he is probably dehydrated as well.. You can see his ribs, and his hood ( I guess that's what you call it, been out of chameleons for awhile) seems to be sunken in. He came with no calcium supplements or anything so I don't think he has ever received those either.. I went and got him some food first thing this morning and got a spray bottle to mist him, which they didn't have..He has ate, but i havn't seen him drink anything yet though. Already since I've got him, he's acting more alert and happy than what he was when I first got him home.. I'm hoping I can get some weight on him and get him fixed up in no time.. I figure he was better off with me than them anyways. But I was just going to show yal a picture of the little guy, he seems kind of small for his age too.

Clint

cham.jpg

Crooked arm says that it either has MBD now or has in the past.
If he has it and it hasn't been corrected then it should be. He doesn't look bad so if you look after him he can still live a close to normal life span.

Good luck with it!

He has MBD in the front legs. Maybe even in the rear legs. Give him crickets or silk worms or butter worms or horn worms or super worms. Those are good feeders. and he will prolly take to them right away. Dust any feeder item you have with calcium and then D3 the next day. I would dust him with calcium that has D3 at least 1-2 times a week for about a month. After a month change back to the normal two or three times a month routine of D3. If you can give him warm sunlight (in a cage, don't trust him outside alone for even a second, he'll be gone) do not give him calcium with D3. The normal calcium will turn to D3 in his body from being in the sun... and dusting his food with D3 will make him OD. As for the misting and drinking. Put HOT water into the mister. It will come out warm and might make him drink sooner than later. Also be sure to give him a long mist at least once a day.

What kind of light do you have for him? Have you kept chams before?

I am glad you rescued him. He is in better hands now, because you are willing to make the effort. It is sad when people get animals and don't research them.... :eek:

For a reference check out Brad Ramsey's site.

Crooked arm says that it either has MBD now or has in the past.
If he has it and it hasn't been corrected then it should be. He doesn't look bad so if you look after him he can still live a close to normal life span.

Good luck with it!

Yeah i was actually thinking the same thing about his front arms, he moves around good though..

He has MBD in the front legs. Maybe even in the rear legs. Give him crickets or silk worms or butter worms or horn worms or super worms. Those are good feeders. and he will prolly take to them right away. Dust any feeder item you have with calcium and then D3 the next day. I would dust him with calcium that has D3 at least 1-2 times a week for about a month. After a month change back to the normal two or three times a month routine of D3. If you can give him warm sunlight (in a cage, don't trust him outside alone for even a second, he'll be gone) do not give him calcium with D3. The normal calcium will turn to D3 in his body from being in the sun... and dusting his food with D3 will make him OD. As for the misting and drinking. Put HOT water into the mister. It will come out warm and might make him drink sooner than later. Also be sure to give him a long mist at least once a day.

What kind of light do you have for him? Have you kept chams before?

I am glad you rescued him. He is in better hands now, because you are willing to make the effort. It is sad when people get animals and don't research them.... :eek:

For a reference check out Brad Ramsey's site.

The lights im not sure of exactly what brand and such, which im working on getting some new ones.. But he has one of the CFL's (i think thats what ive seen em called), but i kept that off for now till i can find the right fixture for him cause I was told it causes blindness. I found the reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb that ive seen recomended but i havnt found a fixture for it to go in yet. His heat source im also not sure on the brand but it puts of decent heat.. Im working out all the specfics but i have barely had him 24 hrs now.

But as far as chameleons I got my first chameleon about 10 years ago, and had them for about 5-6 years.. Then i was into large constrictors aka burms and retics, and now i have been wanting another chameleon and saw this one and figured this was what i needed to do for the chameleons sake. But im a little rusty on my chameleon stuff but im trying to brush up on stuff reading this forum daily..

Clint

For heat, just use a normal household incandescent bulb. What wattage depends on your ambient temp, but you want his basking temp in the mid 90s.

For the UVB fixture, just go to Walmart. In their lighting section they have really cheap floro fixtures. My local one has them @ 18 inches for $6.50, and 24 inches for $7.50.

For heat, just use a normal household incandescent bulb. What wattage depends on your ambient temp, but you want his basking temp in the mid 90s.

For the UVB fixture, just go to Walmart. In their lighting section they have really cheap floro fixtures. My local one has them @ 18 inches for $6.50, and 24 inches for $7.50.

I saw some at walmart but they all had plastic shrouds over the lightbuld and are ment for the light to go up not down..

I saw some at walmart but they all had plastic shrouds over the lightbuld and are ment for the light to go up not down..
If you've got a good petstore nearby, fish tank light hoods work. Most any pet store should have those, but the good ones that have been in business for a while might be able to sell you a used one, which will be less expensive.

If you've got a good petstore nearby, fish tank light hoods work. Most any pet store should have those, but the good ones that have been in business for a while might be able to sell you a used one, which will be less expensive.

Yeah i've been looking but so far no luck.

Just take the lens off. As long as the frame for the light is in one piece after taking the cover off your good. $30+ for a "reptile" or "fish" light fixture is silly.

Check LLL they have some hoods

good job rescuing him!!

glad to see your putting forth the extra effor to get him healthy again

Back
Top Bottom