Snails and MORE!

What are you using for a lid? My snails are growing slowly, no eggs yet :( I think I'd like to move them into a 10g aquarium just to make it a little easier to monitor them. They're in a semi-clear storage bin now, which works fine but an aquarium might fit my bug room better. I'm so eager to feed off some snails but they're not cooperating :)

How many do you have? As you have likely seen they like to climb on to the lid of whatever you use.

So for a 10g, what I used was one of those mesh reptile lids, and then I used clear packing tape and taped over the entire lid, except 2 2 inch squares. They don't need a whole lot of air, they need a whole lot of humidity.

If it gets dry, they will sleep. Which is fine, they will be fine, but they won't grow or mate whilst Aestivating.

Right now my lid is simply a piece of screen folded to fit perfectly over the top of the enclosure.

I actually like this method a lot and I believe the snails do as well. I spray water through the holes of the screen and they instantly rush to it. It also collects quite a bit of water, which allows it to drip into the enclosure for a good 5 minutes or so. Let me know if you have any questions. Im loving these little doods

How many do you have? As you have likely seen they like to climb on to the lid of whatever you use.

So for a 10g, what I used was one of those mesh reptile lids, and then I used clear packing tape and taped over the entire lid, except 2 2 inch squares. They don't need a whole lot of air, they need a whole lot of humidity.

If it gets dry, they will sleep. Which is fine, they will be fine, but they won't grow or mate whilst Aestivating.
When I started this I had 15 snails, soon after I put 5 more in. A total of 20 snails in my first enclosure. And I gotta say... way to many.

It worked wonders, but boy oh boy do I have too many eggs now lol.

I think I’m doing this right??? So my 4-5 month old veiled chameleon is hiding? I have been trying to gain his trust by handfeeding him but he won’t eat it. Now he has “hidden” from me and I looked through his whole cage. My guess is that he is just hiding in a plant or something because he has a very well “decorated” cage. Any tips?

I probably have 10 or so of varying sizes. I had 3 larger ones, but one died. 1 of the larger is likely aestivating as it sealed itself up a few weeks ago on the side. They're in a sealed sterilite type container - fairly large, with minimal ventilation. I crack the lid and mist once a day. Temps are probably around 70-72. I may have too much soil which is probably absorbing some of the humidity... but their enclosure is pretty bare and awkward due to the size, so I think a 10g tank would be easier to handle and monitor. They do hang out on the roof most of the time, which is why I was curious about the lid. I may make a snug lid out of plastic to keep them in and humidity high.

I think I’m doing this right??? So my 4-5 month old veiled chameleon is hiding? I have been trying to gain his trust by handfeeding him but he won’t eat it. Now he has “hidden” from me and I looked through his whole cage. My guess is that he is just hiding in a plant or something because he has a very well “decorated” cage. Any tips?
We're you trying to make your own new post? Either way, no problem.

Your little dood should be just fine. Just double check and make sure there is no way for him to get out of his cage. Once you have ensured that, you know he's in there still. Then you can either wait for him to show himself or continue to keep looking.

They are extreamly shy creatures, so don't expect to much to fast. Give him time and make sure not to push too much.

I probably have 10 or so of varying sizes. I had 3 larger ones, but one died. 1 of the larger is likely aestivating as it sealed itself up a few weeks ago on the side. They're in a sealed sterilite type container - fairly large, with minimal ventilation. I crack the lid and mist once a day. Temps are probably around 70-72. I may have too much soil which is probably absorbing some of the humidity... but their enclosure is pretty bare and awkward due to the size, so I think a 10g tank would be easier to handle and monitor. They do hang out on the roof most of the time, which is why I was curious about the lid. I may make a snug lid out of plastic to keep them in and humidity high.

A plastic lid will also work, you could replace the mesh in those mesh lids with plastic, or something.

The one that is Aestivating, spray him with water. Right above him, and him. He will wake up. The water breaks the seal and let's them know it's safe to wake back up.

Did you get your snails wc? If so, try and only get larger snails. IMHO, they are the only ones neccesary for your starter crew.

However, this also blows my mind. IME, these snails were extremely easy to care for and thrive. In all honesty I didnt check temps nor humidity one time.. Not one snail died and they aestivated nearly every other day.

I took my approach the most natural I could think of. I gave them a bunch of REAL climbing sticks, bark, and moss. I also threw in a couple of fake plants that they loved. They actually layed their eggs right near the base of the plant,
20190807_121848.jpg

so I do believe this helped out a ton! Keep them wet and the soil moist, however don't over water them. Maybe 2-4 times a day with a mister. Just wet all sides of the container, all surfaces they will be climbing on, and any snails you see. If they happen to "freeze" on you, don't worry, just don't let them stay dry for weeks, I would say 3 days max.

I would push for the glass aquarium with a screen top! My snails have loved it. I'm excited to see how the babies will enjoy it! Stay tuned!!

Did you get your snails wc? If so, try and only get larger snails. IMHO, they are the only ones neccesary for your starter crew.

However, this also blows my mind. IME, these snails were extremely easy to care for and thrive. In all honesty I didnt check temps nor humidity one time.. Not one snail died and they aestivated nearly every other day.

I took my approach the most natural I could think of. I gave them a bunch of REAL climbing sticks, bark, and moss. I also threw in a couple of fake plants that they loved. They actually layed their eggs right near the base of the plant, View attachment 242273
so I do believe this helped out a ton! Keep them wet and the soil moist, however don't over water them. Maybe 2-4 times a day with a mister. Just wet all sides of the container, all surfaces they will be climbing on, and any snails you see. If they happen to "freeze" on you, don't worry, just don't let them stay dry for weeks, I would say 3 days max.

I would push for the glass aquarium with a screen top! My snails have loved it. I'm excited to see how the babies will enjoy it! Stay tuned!!

The problem with a screen top, is what you just said. They Aestivate alot. This can cause no mating, and further it can cause babies to die, babies do not aestivate as well.

Snail's mate and have their Eggs in the beginning of rainy season, that way when the baby's are born, it's still rainy and wet.

You letting them dry out and get wet, made them think it was the start of the rainy season. However the babies, won't Aestivate as well. So raising the clutch, or growing out snail's, it's better to have constantly high humidity and water. By not using a screen top, and misting daily if you do, or even multiple times.

My first clutch hatched in the Viv, I wasn't able to seperate, and I allowed the snail's to dry. Out of 100+ babies, 3 survived that dry out. I thought they all aestivated, and the babies did try, only 3 were successful.

There is also the growth aspect. Snail's do not grow during Aestivation. They go into a frozen state, where their bodies do Litteraly nothing. That's the opposite of what you want in a growing snail. Remember a baby takes 6-8 months to reach adulthood in a purely rainy environment. So if you allow water, half the time and dry the other half, take that 6-8 and make it 12-16, take the 3-4, it takes to become feeding size and double it as well.

I do think having a screen top, or a fan system is helpful to force Aestivation. If you want to. IE keep humidity up 100% till grown to feeding size, then Aestivate them all. Then gently pull some off and wake them up to feed Gutload before feeding to the Cham, it can extend the clutches usuablity.

If you want to raise naturally or have something that will eat adults, high humidity is best, as is a plastic lid. This also provides more surface area, so you can house more snail's, before they start killing each other off.

The problem with a screen top, is what you just said. They Aestivate alot. This can cause no mating, and further it can cause babies to die, babies do not aestivate as well.

Snail's mate and have their Eggs in the beginning of rainy season, that way when the baby's are born, it's still rainy and wet.

You letting them dry out and get wet, made them think it was the start of the rainy season. However the babies, won't Aestivate as well. So raising the clutch, or growing out snail's, it's better to have constantly high humidity and water. By not using a screen top, and misting daily if you do, or even multiple times.

My first clutch hatched in the Viv, I wasn't able to seperate, and I allowed the snail's to dry. Out of 100+ babies, 3 survived that dry out. I thought they all aestivated, and the babies did try, only 3 were successful.

There is also the growth aspect. Snail's do not grow during Aestivation. They go into a frozen state, where their bodies do Litteraly nothing. That's the opposite of what you want in a growing snail. Remember a baby takes 6-8 months to reach adulthood in a purely rainy environment. So if you allow water, half the time and dry the other half, take that 6-8 and make it 12-16, take the 3-4, it takes to become feeding size and double it as well.

I do think having a screen top, or a fan system is helpful to force Aestivation. If you want to. IE keep humidity up 100% till grown to feeding size, then Aestivate them all. Then gently pull some off and wake them up to feed Gutload before feeding to the Cham, it can extend the clutches usuablity.

If you want to raise naturally or have something that will eat adults, high humidity is best, as is a plastic lid. This also provides more surface area, so you can house more snail's, before they start killing each other off.
Great information, thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom