Sleeping outside cage on "FR"

Virgil

This has happened a few times now: I opened Tannin's cage door and put an umbrella tree there while I was in the room for a while. It took him so long to come out that it was bedtime before he thought about getting back into the cage and he went to sleep on the tree. I put him back in the cage and he gave me stink eye.

Should I let him sleep outside the cage if he wants to? My/his room is not cham-proof, but I always wake up long before him. I am a little apprehensive of free ranging because I think that I would not be able to cham-proof the room thoroughly enough and have it still be useful for humans. (Tannin is a male, 4 month old Nosy Be that I've had for almost 2 months.)

Thoughts? Yes, I am a beginner. I may not actually FR until a couple chams down the road.

Thanks.

When you say "cham proof" do you mean there are things that could harm him if he left the free range? If so, then I would not chance it. One of these days he may get up before you do. I imagine at that age and size he could get lost easily also if you have alot of stuff in the room.

Thank you for the response. Yes, there are many places he could get hurt or lost. I finished thinking it through after I posted, of course. :rolleyes: No I won't let him stay out.

Thanks.

I think some over react a little bit on how "cham proof" a room needs to be for the chameleon to be safe. I used to worry about every little thing being perfect in my room with my first chameleon. He unfortunately got mouth rot and passed, but now have had my current ambilobe, Floyd, for three years now. He is doing great, and as far as "cham proofing" I've allowed a rope along my walls for him to get to my window without getting on the ground and put my desk in from of the window. I have only seen him a handful of times get off of his "cage," rope or my desk. So, it also depends on your chameleon's personality how much a room needs to be cham proofed.

Back
Top Bottom