sleeping during the day. not eating. HELP!

She ate about 4 crickets and now she is going back to sleep :/

Hopefully she will get better day by day

She ate about 4 crickets and now she is going back to sleep :/

Hopefully she will get better day by day

Two things to try: turn on basking light only and see where she goes. Next day turn on UVB light only and see where she goes. I'm thinking with her closing her eyes it has something to do with the lights. If you can I would definetly change your UVB to a ReptiSun 5.0 tubular bulb. It may be that the 10.0 is too harsh on her eyes so she is keeping them closed. Do you have places for her to get out of the light with different basking levels? Also as mentioned before, all female veileds need a laying bin in the enclosure at all times.

I have been thinking the same exact thing. I have actually done exactly what you said and sometimes turning the UVB off seems to help, and others it doesnt. I just turned the UVB off as we speak and she is now up and about. I wonder how long she will be up untill she goes back to sleep this time.

im sorry jessica i didnt see that. it been about 2 days. I cleaned her cage yesterday around 1 in the afternoon and she has yet to drop anything. I do not believe she pooped the day before i cleaned her cage either.

I have been thinking the same exact thing. I have actually done exactly what you said and sometimes turning the UVB off seems to help, and others it doesnt. I just turned the UVB off as we speak and she is now up and about. I wonder how long she will be up untill she goes back to sleep this time.

It's been said that 10.0 (desert) type bulbs are for reaching further down in a tall enclosure. I would go online and order a ReptiSun 5.0 tubular bulb asap and only keep the 10.0 on half a day for now. Also you really need some repcal calcium with no D3 or phosphorus to dust every other day and use the vit and D3 twice a month. Are you gutloading your feeders with collard or turnip greens, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash? Veileds like to eat hibiscus leaves and flowers too! What about the laying bin, do you have one?

Hey Cody. Thats good news! Did you end up changing out your basking bulb for a lower wattage? Or try raising it up a little? I would definitely raise the 10.0 UVB with something. She may also be getting ready to shed. When was her last shed? They sometimes will get seemingly lazy just before shedding. I know my male has always done that.

donna, i usually throw a carrot or two in the bag with the crickets for gut loading. I have also been thinking about getting a plant like you said. Any suggestions? And for the laying bin... I do not currently have one but I will get one asap. Any suggestions on what to get or make for the laying bin?

reptoman, thanks!! I infact did not change the basking bulb but I did raise it up which helped a lot with the temperature in her environment. Her last shed was about 2 weeks ago id say. She actually still has some of her old dead skin between her eyes that she cant seems to get off lol

I think if I can change the 10.0 to a 5.0 she might be okay but like I said... the light doesnt always make her move around when I turn it off. But most of the time it does. Hopefully thats my problem!!!

I like sheffelera's because they grow easily in low light as well as pothos. I've never had a female and can't recall off hand about setting up a laying bin. I know you'll find go info by doing a search or maybe someone can chime in on that. Do you have a cell phone you could take a pic with and email it?

I will definitely look into those two different plants you suggested. and for the laying bin........ thats going to be my next project. I do not have picture txting on my phone otherwise I would :/. Im going to try to get a picture up here asap so everyone can see what im dealing with. Right now she is awake and very active!! Looks like we are making great progress!

Cody, see the end of the thread below. I use a clear laying bin around 10x15x10tall. I use a mixture of soil and playsand. I took Fluxilizards advice about digging some plain dirt out of the backyard and mixed it with the play sand. about half and half. The reason I use the clear bin is that you can clearly see when she has laid and buried the eggs as you can see in the pics on the thread.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/egg-bottom-cage-33059/index4.html

thanks reptoman, that sounds like a great idea!

Update on Khamilah: I looked over at her a minute ago and caught her sleeping again but I still feel good about the situation because she was up and active for atleast an hour or two before she closed her eyes (before she would just move around for a few minutes then go back to sleep). I misted her and now she is up and moving again. Im sure she will eventually go back to sleep but hey..... as long as she is showing some progress im happy.

Since she is 6 months old and your temperatures have been high and she has been lethargic, sleeping during the day, not eating much, etc....she could be heading toward eggbinding. IMHO you should get that egglaying site in there now...and hope its not too late.

I use an opaque container so that when the female digs down to the corner, she still thinks she is in a hole. The minimum size for the container (kept in the cage at all times once the female is sexually mature) is 12" deep by 12" long and 8" wide. Many females with lay in this size but if she doesn't after digging for a couple of days, you can move her to a larger one. Once a female starts digging she should not be allowed to see you watching her, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom