sleeping and eating schedule

lewboo2

hey everyone, got another question for the chameleon experts here :)
Cage Info:
Cage Type - plastic sides, mesh roof and front, 4 foot x 2 x 2
Lighting - MVB on from 7.15 am till, 7.45 pm
Temperature - 87 degree basking spot, high 60's-70 degree cage floor, lowest night temp is 60
Humidity - humidity is staying at 90% most of the time drying out to around 70%, i think this is helped by having alot of live plants
Plants - i have 5 plants in, a pothos, umbrella, hibiscus, a small ficus and a rubber plant
Location - in bedroom, reasonably low traffic, cage hight is just over 6 feet
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male panther, had him for a month now, no exact age just he's about 11 inches nose to tail
Handling - not too often
Feeding - cup fed, he was eating around 10 size 4 crix a day then this deteriated after a 2 day hunger strike to about 10 crix every other day, he also gets wax worms for treats and ive just got some brown crix insted of black and some very small hoppers, lots of interest in the browns first feed, im wondering if maybe he got bored of blacks but he left the only hopper i put in. all feeders are gutloaded with a mixture of dry cricket feed and different veg's and bit of oats with raw honey for the wax worms.
Supplements - calium w/o d3 at just about every feeding, and nutrobal twice a week
Watering - has a dripper on all day which i see him drink the water from the leaves, he also gets misted 2 x daily for 5 mins per session (doest like misting too much
Fecal Description - black/brown with white urate
History -
Current Problem -
well hes lookin really heathy, very active, etc yet it's this routine hes getting himself into that im concerned about, he tends to be going to his sleeping place quite early recently, ive kinda noticed its been happening since the nights have been drawing in earlier here in england, when the sun starts going down outside he settles down. has anyone ever had anything like this before?
Also he's eating on and off, when he feels like it basically, its averaging every other day now. is this also normal for a growing male??
thanks, Lew

Attachments

• DSC00392.jpg
    DSC00392.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 101
What time is it sun down? Sun goes down here in Seattle around 6:30pm, my panther's lights are off at 9:45 and he's definitely looking for a place to roost by 8pm or earlier.

He doesn't go to bed so early in the summer. It's pretty normal, especially if he's by a window.

I noticed you have him in a 4ftx2ftx2ft cage. The glass vs screen debate..I'll leave for others here, I know it's ongoing debate between the uk and usa...but I would strongly recommend a vertical space for this guy as apposed to a horizontal space.

its getting dark about 5pm now i just got home from work and he was asleep in his regular sleeping spot, hes awoke and is basking at the moment its now 6pm here.
his viv is vertically orientated, its 4foot high by 2 foot squared base? if thats what you mean by vertical?
the screen/mesh is quite sufficient for ventilation though i think, its a 2x2 foot panel on the top and a 4x2 panel for the front the warm air exausts through the top and the new air is brought in from the front, is the theory anyway ;)
thanks again

good to hear that it's vertical.

I think his sleepy behaviour is normal..however..

..if you observe any sleeping during middle of the day..or he's 'sleeping in' in the morning. Go straight to the vet.

For a 1month kept cham it'd be good to get fecal done anyway just to make sure that everything is ok inside his GI tract.

no matter what we do, I felt that chameleons have the "innate" sense to feel the natural rhythm of the sun.
So, during winter where the sun set earlier, all my chameleons go to their sleeping spot immediately when the sun is gone from the horizon regardless of the basking light. some of them even start to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom