sleep during day

dudeman728

i heard it is bad for a chameleon to sleep during the day. i catch my chameleon doing that sometimes and as i read more, i get worried more. my chameleon is only 6 weeks old so i just assumed that since hes a baby, he just sleeps more (just like other babies of different species). if this isn't normal, what potential problems could potentially arise and what potentially could be causing this problem? thanks for the help

if the info is needed...:
Cage Info:

* Cage Type - I have a screen cage, but I don't know the dimensions. If I had to say, it would be 12x12x24. He is very small so the cage is still very big to him.
* Lighting - I use a reptile desert 7% tube not the coil. I turn the light on from 9-9.
* Temperature - The temperature during the day is around 85 degrees in the cage and it is 80 degrees during the night
* Humidity - I don't have a humidity measure, but I spray the cage often
* Plants - I use fake plants. Are live plants necessary?
* Placement - It is on top of my cabinet. It is usually around 5 feet off the floor and it is near a door, but not so close to a window. I've had to move his cage a couple of times in the past couple of days because of complications in my house. Could this help contribute to the problem?
* Location - I am located in Riverside, CA

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - I have a male veiled chameleon who is about 1 1/2 months old and I've had him for about a month
* Handling - I am trying to start to hand feed him so almost every time I feed him
* Feeding - I feed my chameleon baby crickets covered in miner-all powder. I gutload the crickets with commercial gutload. I feed him every day.
* Supplements - Miner-all
* Watering - I spray the cage about 4-5 times a day and occasionally use the dripper if I have to
* Fecal Description - He goes about everyday and he has has the white dot on it.

i heard it is bad for a chameleon to sleep during the day. i catch my chameleon doing that sometimes and as i read more, i get worried more. my chameleon is only 6 weeks old so i just assumed that since hes a baby, he just sleeps more (just like other babies of different species). if this isn't normal, what potential problems could potentially arise and what potentially could be causing this problem? thanks for the help

if the info is needed...:
Cage Info:

* Cage Type - I have a screen cage, but I don't know the dimensions. If I had to say, it would be 12x12x24. He is very small so the cage is still very big to him.
* Lighting - I use a reptile desert 7% tube not the coil. I turn the light on from 9-9. How old is it?
* Temperature - The temperature during the day is around 85 degrees in the cage and it is 80 degrees during the night Is this basking temps or whole cage temps?
* Humidity - I don't have a humidity measure, but I spray the cage often I highly suggest getting a hygrometer.
* Plants - I use fake plants. Are live plants necessary? They can be, it helps keep humidity up.
* Placement - It is on top of my cabinet. It is usually around 5 feet off the floor and it is near a door, but not so close to a window. I've had to move his cage a couple of times in the past couple of days because of complications in my house. Could this help contribute to the problem? Yes, it can.
* Location - I am located in Riverside, CA

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - I have a male veiled chameleon who is about 1 1/2 months old and I've had him for about a month
* Handling - I am trying to start to hand feed him so almost every time I feed him This doesn't help with stress issues.
* Feeding - I feed my chameleon baby crickets covered in miner-all powder. I gutload the crickets with commercial gutload. I feed him every day. Do you dust with anything besides Miner-all? Is this Miner-all O or I?
* Supplements - Miner-all Okay forget the last question.
* Watering - I spray the cage about 4-5 times a day and occasionally use the dripper if I have to
* Fecal Description - He goes about everyday and he has has the white dot on it.
Hmm, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Is that light an R-zilla desert bulb?
You need to switch to a Repti-Sun 5.0 (very important)
Why is it so hot at night? You're not providing heat at night are you?
This is a very young animal. I don't think moving the cage would cause any problems.
Is he eating and drinking?
I have caught babies napping from time to time. not much though and any prolonged period with the eyes closed would be a concern.

-Brad

its because i go to school in riverside and it gets up over 100 degrees here. i will be going home this weekend where the conditions are much cooler so it should be fine. he is eating and performing everyday tasks normally. everything about him is completely fine except for the fact that he sleeps during the day sometimes (not all the time). i believe, but not completely sure if i have the 7% slimline reptile light fixture.

http://reviews.petco.com/3554/14564/reviews.htm
http://www.herpsupplies.com/images/esu/00728.gif

Back
Top Bottom