Silkworms

Juliecakes

Hey I just got a chameleon and I’m feeding him a staple of silkworms and a few other insects but the silkworms I got are pretty big I’m looking for a reliable place to purchase from or any other recommendations

I've been getting eggs from site sponsor Coastal Silkworms off of Amazon. There are no options for temperature controlled packs when you order from Amazon, but I only order in temperate weather - it's never been a problem, all my orders have hatched. I've been growing 1-2 batches per year for the past four years.

If you get enough extra and let them pupate the moths will hatch, breed, and lay a ton of eggs. You could probably keep them going as a colony if you wanted.

I only order my silks from Morifeeders, any other distributor that I’ve purchased them from doesn’t work out. The worms die two days after I get them (and silkworms aren’t cheap). I don’t know what morifeeders does to their chow, but the silks that I get from them are very resilient. They have average pricing as well. Second option would be Linda with lindasgonebuggy. Good prices and great communication, she’s very quick to reply on messenger. But again, the only silks I’ve ever purchased that survive more than 2-4 days have come from Morifeeders. Also, unless you have a very small reptile you never want to order small/xs silkworms. They’ll take 20 days to grow to an edible size and probably die in the process.

www.mulberryfarms.com you can buy them by the hundreds or the thousands! You'll thank me later. I just ordered another 1000 eggs to feed my 6 chams.

I found 1000 eggs completely overwhelming for four chams - and I ended up giving them away. I hatch around 2-300 or so every other week for my crew (of 8). If you get eggs, I’d go for 250-500 for 1 or 2 chams. Even with a young cham eating nothing but silkworms, you’re still looking at 50-70 per cham, per week, and you have about a 2-3 week window before they grow too large and/or cocoon.

I do find silkworms to be easy to raise, and a favorite of my guys, so i highly recommend breeding them yourself. I have a post on here that walks thru my experience.

I found 1000 eggs completely overwhelming for four chams - and I ended up giving them away. I hatch around 2-300 or so every other week for my crew (of 8). If you get eggs, I’d go for 250-500 for 1 or 2 chams. Even with a young cham eating nothing but silkworms, you’re still looking at 50-70 per cham, per week, and you have about a 2-3 week window before they grow too large and/or cocoon.

I do find silkworms to be easy to raise, and a favorite of my guys, so i highly recommend breeding them yourself. I have a post on here that walks thru my experience.
I also have a bearded dragon. Forgot to mention that hahaha. But I have 3 babies from 2 months to 5 months old, one sub adult, and two adults. And every once in awhile I'll feed the spider in the corner of the window.
But you can purchase them by the hundreds. I just find the 1000 eggs the best egg count per dollar.

I also have a bearded dragon. Forgot to mention that hahaha. But I have 3 babies from 2 months to 5 months old, one sub adult, and two adults. And every once in awhile I'll feed the spider in the corner of the window.
But you can purchase them by the hundreds. I just find the 1000 eggs the best egg count per dollar.

babies are another story! eat eat eat eat eat eat eat!

Back
Top Bottom