Silk worms

Jocccellynnn

Established Member
I know were not supposed to give bugs from outside to our chams. I never have and don’t intend on ever doing it but I’m the spring we get like tons and tons of silk worms that just strong down from trees and was wondering what would be the harm in giving it to her? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I promise I’m not going to! I’m just wondering.

I know were not supposed to give bugs from outside to our chams. I never have and don’t intend on ever doing it but I’m the spring we get like tons and tons of silk worms that just strong down from trees and was wondering what would be the harm in giving it to her? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I promise I’m not going to! I’m just wondering.
I doubt that they are silk worms...silk worms have lost the ability to live without human intervention as far as I know. Some do give wild bugs, but you need to know exactly what the bugs are and have assurance that they haven’t been exposed to chemical fertilizer or pesticide.

I doubt that they are silk worms...silk worms have lost the ability to live without human intervention as far as I know. Some do give wild bugs, but you need to know exactly what the bugs are and have assurance that they haven’t been exposed to chemical fertilizer or pesticide.

There are other species that are sometimes referred to as silk worms or silk moths. The mulberry silkworm (Bombyx Mori) is the one that you are talking about.
Other "silkworms" include the Tasar silkworms, the Tussah silkworms. Bombyx Mandarina is the wild relative to Bombyx Mori.

There are other species that are sometimes referred to as silk worms or silk moths. The mulberry silkworm (Bombyx Mori) is the one that you are talking about.
Other "silkworms" include the Tasar silkworms, the Tussah silkworms. Bombyx Mandarina is the wild relative to Bombyx Mori.
Would they all be considered edible feeders?

Ok! Yeah you’re right, I looked them up they’re called leaf rollers or tortrix moths. I dunno why I got those confused they’re not even similar. Thank you lol!

ive fed some bees to Stormy before. he loved them! i feel like alot of things in this hobby are kinda over exaggerated. Not that this is a bad thing, and not to give the impression that you can do whatever and the cham will be fine, but just my opinion. like some ppl say you must disinfect branches and stuff from outside or it can be dangerous. and not to feed wild bugs because of all the risks. honestly though IMO there are the same risks of parasites and pesticides even in captive bred feeder bugs. Maybe a lesser chance but still.

ive fed some bees to Stormy before. he loved them! i feel like alot of things in this hobby are kinda over exaggerated. Not that this is a bad thing, and not to give the impression that you can do whatever and the cham will be fine, but just my opinion. like some ppl say you must disinfect branches and stuff from outside or it can be dangerous. and not to feed wild bugs because of all the risks. honestly though IMO there are the same risks of parasites and pesticides even in captive bred feeder bugs. Maybe a lesser chance but still.

Could make the argument parasite risk is higher in captive bred insects. Could also make the argument that pesticide fear is overblown(I do agree with being mindful of what's around though).

I agree with you completely

Back
Top Bottom