Sick Veiled

Wadsjo1505

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled. Male. Approx 1 year old based on size. I've had him for 4 months now.
  • Handling - Once a week maybe.
  • Feeding - Eats dubia roaches and crickets. Fed daily.
  • Supplements - Rep-cal herptivite 1-2 doses monthly. Zoomed repti calcium without d3 every feeding. Flukers calcium with d3 twice a month.
  • Watering - Little dripper method. Misting 3 times daily during work week 4 times daily on weekends until surroundings are dripping wet.
  • Fecal Description - brown/black and white feeces. Tested negative for parasites
  • History - He was purchased as a rescue. He had been sitting at the pet store for 3-4 months.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - zoomed reptibreeze 36x18x18 currently. I have a spare 48x24x24 for when he grows into it.
  • Lighting - Zoomed repti sun compact 5.0 uvb. 60 watt basking bulb for one basking area. 75 watt basking bulb for secondary basking area. Uvb and 60 watt basking area are on auto timer which are on 12 hours a day. 75 watt bulb gets turned on when i come home from work until lights out which is approx 4 hours.
  • Temperature - Digital probe. Cage floor stays around 65-72 degrees. Main basking spot stays at 85 degrees. Secondary basking area stays around 88-90 degrees. Night time low 60s.
  • Humidity - Digital and analog meters. Stays around 35-45%.
  • Plants - Live pothos.
  • Placement - Bedroom dresser aprrox 3.5 foot off ground so the top of the cage stands over 6.5 feet from ground. Low traffic. Kids are rarely in the room. Ceiling fan which is on at night rather than ac or box fan.
  • Location - Southeast USA

Current Problem - Okay. I've grown concerned over the past week. As I mentioned I purchased him as a rescue more or less. His left eyes was closed upon purchase. I knew what I was getting getting myself into at the time but was up for the challange. I currently own 3 beardies. 1 other veiled. 4 leos. Community herp enclosure (tree frogs and long tailed grass lizards) as well as four seperate fish tanks. Cleanliness and routine are a must for me. Living conditions are identical to my other veiled which is a female and approx 2.5 years old. I immediately took him to the vet within a week of purchase. The only vet I have remotely close to me has limited experience with exotics but I believe they do a good job all things considered. Initial assesment was vitamin A defiencency and he was treated. His left eye opened but only for about two weeks upon which it closed again. Return trip resulted in the in another vitamin A booster. I was also encouraged to use multi-vitamin with beta carotene liquid supplement to add directly to water sources rather than dusting on insects which I have done. Now during this entire time Rango has eaten, moved, drank, and deficated normally. Even with his left eye closed on/off he hasn't let it hinder his daily routine. Then in the past week matters have grown worse. Both eyes are now closed. He is not eating nor moving alot and when he does move his eyes remain closed. He is drinking though when he stumbles across the drip system. His eyes do not appear to be sunken nor is there any visible residue. I've been giving him showers every other day using proper technique. My vet was on vacation last week but we have an appointment scheduled this coming week. I wanted to reach out to fellow cham keepers to see if there is anyone else who has experience with this matter. I'm looking for hope until our appointment Tuesday. I apologize for the lengthy "book" I just wanted to be as descriptive as possible. It has to be more than just a lack of vitamin A at this considering the steps taken.

20180601_153409.jpg

After two 30 minute showers sessions today we are seeing progress. His right eye is open again. Dehydration doesnt make sense though since I witness him drink and he has been still drinking. Tuesday can't get here fast enough though

The picture was taken after an attempt to "force feed" him. Not using actually force but holding it in front of of mouth rubbing etc. He got aggitated lol

Back
Top Bottom