Should I skip d3?

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have recently taken my chams outside a lot more often, average probable 1-3 hrs every 2 days. They get d3 in 6 days and i'm wondering if i should just skip it and just give them normal calci dust, or I shouldn't give them any d3 for like 2 months, or just give them d3 like normal. Thanks

Good question I would like to see reply as my light is a d3 plus and before being gravid she would have been outside for a while every couple of days

I personally would still supplement D3 lightly, just to be safe, if you have your UVB dialed in correctly and the cham gets sun exposure. I get my cham out a few times a week and still give Repashy LoD a few times a month, since it's also a multi-vitamin.

Does your D3 source have other stuff in it? Like, is it a multi-vitamin + D3?

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb or 20,000 iu per kg

I would not change my personal schedule just because of a few weeks of sun. It takes 90 days before edema sets in from too much D3. And if you look above, you have to wonder how much you should be giving in the first place. 18-24 crickets will have a lot more surface area vs 3 queen dubia, even if they have the same calories.

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb or 20,000 iu per kg
I personally would still supplement D3 lightly, just to be safe, if you have your UVB dialed in correctly and the cham gets sun exposure. I get my cham out a few times a week and still give Repashy LoD a few times a month, since it's also a multi-vitamin.

it's zoo-med and it does say on the box that it has 22,907 IU/kg.

Its phos free and i don' think it has anything else in it. No its not a multi-vit+d3.

I think I will still use it but be cautious and dust it more lightly than usual and maybe feed a smaller amount of food to my chams on that day.

I have it on good authority from several vets that a chameleon with proper husbandry (i.e. enough UVB light) doesn't need D3 supplementation. In fact, too much can cause hypercalcemia. I learned this the hard way and made the switch.

On that thought, it's also worth noting that Beta Carotene is a harmless, albeit useless calcium supplement additive, most (dare I say all?) chameleons cannot convert it into Vitamin A.

I have it on good authority from several vets that a chameleon with proper husbandry (i.e. enough UVB light) doesn't need D3 supplementation. In fact, too much can cause hypercalcemia. I learned this the hard way and made the switch.

On that thought, it's also worth noting that Beta Carotene is a harmless, albeit useless calcium supplement additive, most (dare I say all?) chameleons cannot convert it into Vitamin A.

This is very true, and thus the tricky balance. From what I understand, An UVI of 3 to 6 for ant least 3 hours a day is enough to not use D3. The will not produce more D3 than they need, but if we are supplementing they can get too much. With a standard screen cage, these balances seem to be worked out. But like @NashansCamos we do not fall completely on either side and must try to find a balance.

Over doing it is a real risk. I worry about it all the time.

This is very true, and thus the tricky balance. From what I understand, An UVI of 3 to 6 for ant least 3 hours a day is enough to not use D3. The will not produce more D3 than they need, but if we are supplementing they can get too much. With a standard screen cage, these balances seem to be worked out. But like @NashansCamos we do not fall completely on either side and must try to find a balance.

Over doing it is a real risk. I worry about it all the time.
hmmm, this a very tricky balance that is hard to achieve. I do have one "solution", I have A LOT of extra plants and couple of days ago I whipped up some nice looking free ranges that don't have any lights (yet).

Do you think sticking them on that free range for an hour a day would help this"balance"?

hmmm, this a very tricky balance that is hard to achieve. I do have one "solution", I have A LOT of extra plants and couple of days ago I whipped up some nice looking free ranges that don't have any lights (yet).

Do you think sticking them on that free range for an hour a day would help this"balance"?

I don't think we can balance it that way. And I can not say my way is right. But I imagine the amount of D3 dust I would give normal. I divide that into 4 parts, each part = 4 days of at least 3 hours in the natural sun.
I dust given this. So if she was out or in sun for 6 days out of the 14 day My normal is two med roaches. in this case I would just dust one roach.
It has been working for a year. She is very healthy and on her 3 clutch, though I am trying to slow this down to 2 per year.

I do not recommend those that do not have a solarmeter 6.5 to check their output on bulbs and distances go without D3 supplementation. While outside time is great some are not able to consistently provide this due to their weather. With D3 conversion from light their body will not produce more then needed and if you are sticking to the use of calcium with D3 at only two feedings a month this is the safer way to ensure they get what they need and you are not over supplementing them.

I do not recommend those that do not have a solarmeter 6.5 to check their output on bulbs and distances go without D3 supplementation. While outside time is great some are not able to consistently provide this due to their weather. With D3 conversion from light their body will not produce more then needed and if you are sticking to the use of calcium with D3 at only two feedings a month this is the safer way to ensure they get what they need and you are not over supplementing them.
Yeah like I don't even take him out yearly its freakin england I only take them out summer and sometimes spring. I think I will just feed less and dust more lightly, other than that, everything normal

I use reptivit +d3 a couple times a month and calci dust no d3

Back
Top Bottom