Screen suggestions for custom enclosure

suprdude

Avid Member
lights.jpg

I'm in the process of converting an existing custom enclosure for a future chameleon. The plant lights will still be hanging as shown but I need to create a screen to keep Mr. Chameleon out of the area and I also plan on resting the heat light and UVB light directly on top on the screen. The enclosure is almost 6 feet wide and 22 inches deep. I'm thinking of making two removable panels that will sit on top of L-shaped metal brackets mounted on the top sides. My question what type of screen should I get? I want as much light to get through as possible. Would regular window screen work or would it block too much light?
Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion! You don't think it would melt under a 75 watt bulb?

It softens at 200f, right before water boil point. But if you are using it just for protection, you can get uncoated. I use coated because i make the sides out of it, and its great for adult climbing.

I use translucent hypothetical screen, I have 10 feet of it for sale.....I'll sell it to you for 30.00!!😁

Window screen will be fine; I would use aluminum. Feeders can eat through synthetics, and walk/crawl right through hardware cloth.* Most commercial enclosures use window screen; they block some UVB, but not that much.

The Effect of Mesh and Screen upon the output of UVB Fluorescent Tubes

All my lights are above the screen. The 6% UVB still puts out plenty of UVB @ 8-12" below the screen (measured via Solarmeter).

*I've actually heard of some using 2 layers of screen. The inside layer of hardware cloth, and the outside layer (1" between layers) of window screen to prevent feeder escapes.

Feeders can eat through synthetics, and walk/crawl right through hardware cloth.* Most commercial enclosures use window screen; they block some UVB, but not that much.

*I've actually heard of some using 2 layers of screen. The inside layer of hardware cloth, and the outside layer (1" between layers) of window screen to prevent feeder escapes.
Thanks for your feedback. I didn't think escaped feeders would be an issue...I was planing on feeding using an escape-proof cup (dubias) or hand feeding.

Thanks for your feedback. I didn't think escaped feeders would be an issue...I was planing on feeding using an escape-proof cup (dubias) or hand feeding.
That's exactly how I feed so 1/4" works if you are going that way.

Back
Top Bottom