Screen Climbing

Rocco13

i’ve noticed that on some nights my chameleon will climb on the screen or the door instead of sleeping. I have a theory that maybe it’s not her time to sleep since I try to have a strict schedule to turn off and on the lights at 9 but last night she didn’t go to sleep til around10 then I slept in until like 11 which is when she woke up but I could be wrong.

Most chameleons will not move if it’s pitch black since they rely quite heavily on their vision. My chameleon has done that a few times when there was dim light in the room and everyone was still awake, so I adjusted her schedule from 8-8 to 9:30-9:30.

Our enclosure sits in the middle of the living room, right across the television. Lights in the room / television keep burning till we go to bed. Enclosure lights go out in 2 phases, 07:00pm everything exact one plant light, 07:30pm the last light. Max. 15 min after lights went out, my girl is sleeping, and doesn't move till the first plant light goes on at 06:30am.

i’ve noticed that on some nights my chameleon will climb on the screen or the door instead of sleeping. I have a theory that maybe it’s not her time to sleep since I try to have a strict schedule to turn off and on the lights at 9 but last night she didn’t go to sleep til around10 then I slept in until like 11 which is when she woke up but I could be wrong.

Buy a timer switch. Humans are Unreliable to turn lights on/ off at the same time everyday. A couple hrs here of there can really mess with their circadian rhythm.

Buy a timer switch. Humans are Unreliable to turn lights on/ off at the same time everyday. A couple hrs here of there can really mess with their circadian rhythm.
oh wow I actually didn’t know that but thank you I’ve just purchased timers today!

Most chameleons will not move if it’s pitch black since they rely quite heavily on their vision. My chameleon has done that a few times when there was dim light in the room and everyone was still awake, so I adjusted her schedule from 8-8 to 9:30-9:30.
it can’t be from any light, i have blackout curtains in my room and whenever i turn her lights off it’s completely pitch black.

it can’t be from any light, i have blackout curtains in my room and whenever i turn her lights off it’s completely pitch black.
Is it possible there may be a cricket or any other critter in the enclosure to bother her? I noticed you haven’t filled out a husbandry form and the screen climbing has been a concern for you from your February post. There may be something we can help you fix but we need to know what we’re looking for, so please copy and paste the list of husbandry questions and fill it out to see if anything could be adjusted before your little ones health becomes a concern. ☺️

Is it possible there may be a cricket or any other critter in the enclosure to bother her? I noticed you haven’t filled out a husbandry form and the screen climbing has been a concern for you from your February post. There may be something we can help you fix but we need to know what we’re looking for, so please copy and paste the list of husbandry questions and fill it out to see if anything could be adjusted before your little ones health becomes a concern. ☺️
Chameleon Info

• Veiled, Female Age around a year I think, She’s been in my care for around 40 days now.

•I rarely handle her as she is mostly hiding out when i’m around and i go close to her she always goes to hide but sometimes i can handle her and feed her .
  • I feed her superworms, crickets and BSF around 1 worms 2 crickets and 2 BSF. I feed her every 2-3 days, I gut load my insects with sweet potatoes, carrots and apples.
  • I use repcal supplements, i dust my insects with calcium without d3 and the 7th day of the week i’ll use a multivitamin then 2 weeks from that on the 7th day i’ll use calcium WITH D3
  • I hand mist my cage morning and night for around 1-3 minutes, I don’t really see her drink since I always leave the room when i let the dripper go but i know she is
  • her poop looks fine, white urates, solid brown poop sometimes it can be runny bc of the BSF. I’m not sure if she’s been checked for parasites but I’ve yet to do it
Cage info

• All screen cage 24x24x48
  • I use a reptisun 30” for my Uvb and a 100w halogen light for my basking bulb. I turn the lights off and on at 9 for 12 hrs of light and dark
  • Bottom of the cage gets around 76° during night and day lowest would be around 72° her basking branch temp is 85°. I measure these with a temp gun
  • I use a variety of plants i have golden pothos strung around the sides with a croton as well and my middle tree is a mass cane
  • the cage is located in my bed room facing me in my bed , it is under a vent but it’s around 2-4 feet away. I have my cage sitting on a table i have which sits like 2 feet off the ground so my chameleon will always be taller than me
  • I live in florida

My problem is my chameleon seems to roam around her cage when it’s time to sleep crawling on the door and the ceiling.

Do you have a lay bin set up for her? If not you need that ASAP. Could we get a pic of the whole enclosure and lighting? And a pic of your chameleon would be great.

Back
Top Bottom