Saving my schefflera (6500k bulb?)

Vizzini

Hi Everyone, still new to the forums. Got my male panther cham about a week ago, he is about 3 1/2 months old, according to the breeder. His cage temps are around 70-75 ambient and 80-85 in his basking area. When I furnished his cage, I bought a schefflera plant that takes up in between 1/2 and 2/3 of his cage height (16"x16"x30"), so it sits around 10-12 inches under the top of the enclosure. (I know that I will have to replace this cage with a bigger one when he gets bigger). I bought this plant in hopes that it would grow with him. I have fake vines in the upper part of his cage to provide him with some foliage near his basking spot until the plant grows in.

I cleaned the plant and repotted it with organic soil when I purchased it. He seems to love the plant, and spends a fair amount of time in it, however the plant seems to be dying slowly, the leaves are starting to "curl" and some have drooped a fair amount. I know that you can overwater schefflera plants, but checked the soil and it seems to be more on the moist side rather than soaked or really wet. I have a reptirain that mists his cage 3 times a day for 30 seconds each time while I am at work, and I occasionally set his dripper up for 30 minutes or so in the afternoon when I get home. Could this be too much?

Anyways, I have a double light enclosure (came with the cage), but I replaced the CFL UVB light with a reptisun T5 linear lamp (still use the heat bulb that came with the kit), so I have an open socket in the double lamp enclosure. I was thinking of purchasing a 6500k CFL to go into the empty socket in hopes that it would help keep the plant alive and healthy. I was wondering if anyone has had experience using a 6500k bulb on top of the enclosure. I'm assuming I might have to buy a smaller wattage warming bulb as the added light bulb will most likely produce some extra heat, I am currently using a Reptisun 100w Daylight Blue bulb that came with the cage. Any input on whether on not this would work? Any ideas on what wattage equivalent I should get for the lone plant (100w, 150w, etc.)?

If anyone has experience keeping schefflera plants alive in their cham cage that gets little to no sunlight during the day any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked in the past, I cannot seem to find a thread specifically dedicated to plant care. If there is one already, can someone point me in the correct direction?

I think that is it, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I got most if not all the necessary information to help answer my question.

The extra lighting won't hurt your plant, be sure to have spots for your chameleon to get away from the bright light if he has to, make sure you have good drainage at the pot, some people like to use a mix of soil and rocks of sorts to help drain the roots and prevent root rot. I'm not too good at keeping plants alive either, the only one that hasn't died on me is pothos

Schefflera are notorious for dropping leaves in chameleon cages, probably due to too much water, and lack of a plant light (That you mention). that's why I like hanging Pathos, tough to kill, grows fast, and no pot sitting on the floor.

CHEERS!

Nick

Ah, Grasshopper...On the top of the cage place a board that stretches across to both sides Use florist wire (Michael's sells it) to hang the pot, I got pots that had a hanger on them so I didn't have to mess with multiple strands and drilling into the pot edges to attach the wire. Once you go air hanging, cleaning and feeders hiding and dying under the post will be a thing of the past.

CHEERS!

Nick

Ah, Grasshopper...On the top of the cage place a board that stretches across to both sides Use florist wire (Michael's sells it) to hang the pot, I got pots that had a hanger on them so I didn't have to mess with multiple strands and drilling into the pot edges to attach the wire. Once you go air hanging, cleaning and feeders hiding and dying under the post will be a thing of the past.

CHEERS!

Nick

Awesome, thx. Do you use any special bulbs? Or does it seem to do fine with the standard heat and uvb

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get an inexpensive 6500k linear bulb, all your plants will thrive, and it brightens up your cage too.

CHEERS!

nick

Back
Top Bottom