safe to import?

klewis

is it safe to get a chameleon imported from overseas? and if so does anyone have any trusted companies who ship overseas?

is it safe to get a chameleon imported from overseas? and if so does anyone have any trusted companies who ship overseas?
Are you looking for something in particular? There are many breeders here in the states.

IMO, this can be an extremely complex & often polarizing subject.

tenor.gif

What species are you thinking of, and (captive bred (CB) or wild caught (WC) aside) why would (or do) you want to import one vs. obtaining one without all the hassles & red tape involved in importation?

importing a chameleon (includes previous discussions here and other articles)

For species commonly in the pet trade, the only good reason I can think of OTTOMH (and this is just personal opinion) is to introduce or strengthen lines (BICBW).

For more exotic or rare species not normally found in the pet trade, other factors like conservation status may come into play.

I'm from the UK and my only choices are Yemen or red bar panthers, I'm all for a panther but the breeders down here are questionable (ones I've been in contact anyhow) i was hoping to secure a pure CB from breeders who know what there doing.

Ah, fair enough. Might have been simpler (or maybe not :rolleyes: :LOL:) just to ask for reputable panther chameleon breeders in the UK... ;)
(link includes discussions from this forum, www.reptileforums.co.uk, and others)

Other sources you might try for leads:
  • Websites of Reptile shows near you; they usually have vendor lists, even if the show has been cancelled/postponed
  • MorphMarket
  • Breedir.org
  • Reptiles Magazine (the clubs often know who's breeding what)
  • Voofla.com
  • Facebook
  • Reddit
  • Local herp veterinarians (they know which breeders are producing healthy & sick animals)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom