Safe plants

People overthink this IMO. Just look up the plant you're interested in. There should be a database on if it's toxic or not. If it is, you can see what the 'toxin' is, it may be deadly to some animals in which case I'd avoid, or it may be a simple irritant like ficus when they break and the sap sits on skin, in which case I wouldn't worry about it. Reptiles in general, and especially chameleons seem much better at handling toxic plants... not that I'd recommend using something dangerous, but if something is safe for cats/dogs/birds then it would be fine for chameleons, which come from natural habitats probably loaded with toxic plants and insects that eat toxic plants.

The nice thing about the lists is it just gives you an idea of some good plants to use out there if you weren't aware of them. If you see something that you don't find on the list though, just look it up! It's very easy.

People overthink this IMO. Just look up the plant you're interested in. There should be a database on if it's toxic or not. If it is, you can see what the 'toxin' is, it may be deadly to some animals in which case I'd avoid, or it may be a simple irritant like ficus when they break and the sap sits on skin, in which case I wouldn't worry about it. Reptiles in general, and especially chameleons seem much better at handling toxic plants... not that I'd recommend using something dangerous, but if something is safe for cats/dogs/birds then it would be fine for chameleons, which come from natural habitats probably loaded with toxic plants and insects that eat toxic plants.

The nice thing about the lists is it just gives you an idea of some good plants to use out there if you weren't aware of them. If you see something that you don't find on the list though, just look it up! It's very easy.
I agree that it is overthought. But I think we have to stop and be more cautious when it comes to Veileds. I would hate to see someone just go crazy with plants then have their chameleon die because it was eating something that never should have been used.

If I had a Panther or another species that was not a plant eater I would be open to many more plants. But when someone says what are the "safe" plants I am going to give them a "safe" list.

Also just because a plant was used with a Panther does not make it safe for a veiled. I just think caution goes out the window and it is forgotten that Veileds eat anything and everything that is in their cage. And if you have not owned a Veiled then you are not aware of the first hand damage they do to their plants. Especially when they are younger. They will strip a plant completely.

I agree that it is overthought. But I think we have to stop and be more cautious when it comes to Veileds. I would hate to see someone just go crazy with plants then have their chameleon die because it was eating something that never should have been used.

If I had a Panther or another species that was not a plant eater I would be open to many more plants. But when someone says what are the "safe" plants I am going to give them a "safe" list.

Also just because a plant was used with a Panther does not make it safe for a veiled. I just think caution goes out the window and it is forgotten that Veileds eat anything and everything that is in their cage. And if you have not owned a Veiled then you are not aware of the first hand damage they do to their plants. Especially when they are younger. They will strip a plant completely.

I don't disagree with any of that, but it goes back to my point of looking up the toxin. Nothing I said indicated I'd condone putting in any plants without checking. If a veiled can eat pothos, there's no way something that is safe to birds and with no known harmful toxins would be of any serious threat unless it has thorns or something lol.

The list should be used as a way to get ideas and they are a great resource for newbs, but it doesn't mean that it is the only acceptable plants.

I was referring the overthinking part to people finding a plant and freaking out wondering if it is safe. They can look up the toxic properties. Mammals are more sensitive in most cases, birds too, so if they're fine and there are no notable threatening toxic compounds then there is no reason it isn't veiled safe.

I don't know why you're being snippy with me hah. I meant no disrespect. I have been aware of veileds and many reptiles stripping plants, for many many years.

Edit(unless you're talking about other people)

Trust me, I'm with ya. No argument intended. I meant for the people that pop on and go IS THIS PLANT SAFE?! I think the safe plant list is a valuable resource to get a ideas. But it doesn't mean everything else is dangerous... others just haven't been looked into.

I’m not looking to be combative. Just an FYI. I have a Jackson’s Chammy if that applies.thanks

I’m not looking to be combative. Just an FYI. I have a Jackson’s Chammy if that applies.thanks
It does. Any of the plants on the 4 lists I posted are fine for a Jackson's, and between those lists, there are dozens of choices.

If you find another plant, you can always search the archives for it, or search google for: chameleon safe [plant] If any plant's safety cannot be confirmed, don't use it, or use it at your pet's peril.

Hello all. Are there any plants, safe for a Chammy, that climb up the sides of a terrarium?thanks

What would you go with?
Live vines. Pothos, Tradescantia zebrina, Philodendron, Madagascar jasmine...
Dead grape vines culled from vintners/wineries are also good.
Many hanging/trailing plants are good; mine even likes climbing spider plant 'spiderettes'.

With fake plants, you'll want to lean towards ones that are made for reptiles, as you don't know if there'll be chemical run-off when watering random fake plants or something like that

Back
Top Bottom